Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  1:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chadg

I think we need a bunch of 'no load' switches. Both wired and wireless. I would love a V2 switchlinc that did not control load. It could be cheaper and be a 'slave' switch.

Also, how about we make it wireless and run on batteries! Then when I want a ligth switch, all I need to do is cut a hole in my wall, put in an old work style electrical box and I'm done! The switch could talk wirelessly to an access point and control any light in my house. I love it! When can I expect to order it from SM?

I like the idea of a wireless switch, particularly now that the AccessPoints are up and running. Ideally, I wouldn't even have to cut into the wall: they'd be thin enough to just screw on like a picture frame. That's probably a long way off, though.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  06:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I like the idea of a wireless switch, particularly now that the AccessPoints are up and running. Ideally, I wouldn't even have to cut into the wall: they'd be thin enough to just screw on like a picture frame. That's probably a long way off, though.

Something like this:

http://www.smarthome.com/4095g.html

I used to own a couple X10 brand versions of those. The switches were horribly unreliable, but they did work most of the times. It was definitely cool to simply stick it wherever you wanted.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  06:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thermostats please. If possible, one that will work via standard thermostat wiring. I want to avoid running additional wires to my thermostats if possible.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  08:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Amen on the thermostats with no additional wiring. It should get it's power from the available wiring and communicate via RF and the access points.

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and additional power from batteries if necessary. Even the standard thermostats I have use a battery, so I'd find that acceptable.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com

Edited by - MikeB on 07/01/2007 08:26:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  7:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see a keypadlinc that can control two local loads. Perhaps if heat is a problem it would need to be a rely type rather than a dimmer.
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  05:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and dedicated FAN/Light controls (2 loads, etc) (just reiterating a request that's on here a few times)

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)
Go to Top of Page

Stowaway
Average Member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  08:35:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I would drop by to see what is new and what everyone is talking about! There are some interesting new ideas here.
  • I am still looking forward to thermostats, and I support the features discussed here for the thermostats including battery to support operation. My current thermostats use 9 volt lithium batteries that last for 5+ years!!!
  • I do hope to see fan controls someday soon.
  • I want to bring back the request for motion sensors!!
  • And a Keychain sized remote for the wife's car!!
Keep feeding the new product ideas - hope to see some of these products soon!
Go to Top of Page

deckhardt

33 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  11:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will there ever be an Insteon IR-Bridge?

If not, I really need to know as that would force me to look at another technology. I already have several customers very unhappy with me because it does not exist. I realize I could go the PC and software route, or use existing X10 bridge, neither has the repeatability to install in a custoers home. I question the validity of the HA PC in my own home other than R&D.

I know I sound like a broken record, as this is the only thing I keep asking for, but it is a CRITICAL requirement for the majority of my installs.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Calox

19 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  9:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been well over a year since I opened this thread, and I am truly impressed at the feedback provided by the Insteon community. For my part, I am still waiting on the Motion Sensors. A home automation system without any input mechanism is just a glorified light switch.

Yes, I know that I can use one of the X10 Eagle Eye sensors, but putting X10 on my Insteon network defeats the purpose. One of the things that initially pushed me away from X10 and towards Insteon (reliability issues aside!) was the inherent security in the architecture. For example, with X10, theoretically, anyone with an X10 remote or motion sensor could program it to my house code, and control my lights while sitting in my driveway. With Insteon, this is not possible, and thus eliminates the possibility of nefarious external pranking, or worse.

In short, we all know that Insteon is a robust, secure, and (mostly) affordable home automation solution. But, what we need now, listed in my order of priority, are the components that make it complete:

- Wireless/Wired Motion Sensors
- IR-Bridge
- Wireless Remotes (Keychain-sized)
- Thermostats
- Security Cameras

Keep up the great work guys! And how about an Insteon sale soon...
Go to Top of Page

kofther

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  8:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard anything about power outlets? I would love to replace the bulky plug-in modules.
Go to Top of Page

Det
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  6:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Det's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish Insteon would sell something that actually works (right) Like the new remote control, you can't even program it with the software now you have to do it manualy. What is the point if half the features that you can use with your Controlinc do not work with the remote?
Also their software still looks like it came out before it was completely finished and tested (ever heard of QA?)
85% of the lights that are connected to my lamplincs and dimmer switches flicker all the time.
New devices like the 8-port I/O module, the sprinkler module etc. are not supported by the HousLinc software.

Well I could just go on, point is that I am really disapointed with Insteon. It looked very promising but it seems like they just throw half-finished products on the market to make some quick money.
Too bad, hopefully there will be an alternative that actually works.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8278 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  6:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can program the remote with software. You just need to put the remote into link mode before sending the links to it via software and the accesspoints.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  06:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Like the new remote control, you can't even program it with the software now you have to do it manualy.

You can program it fine with HouseLinc.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  11:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
and PH from what I understand (waiting for mine to arrive **sigh**)

Cicero
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, PowerHome works great - that's how I programmed mine.

Be sure not to send too many commands at once though - linking mode doesn't stick for very long.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  12:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It'd help to have a keychain remote but I'll stick with my Pocket PC in the meantime, with Internet enabled in my phone. RemoteLinc is too big for my one-hand operation.

Still trying to keep pressuring SmartLabs...well, maybe no pressure.

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).
Go to Top of Page

Mdcastle
Average Member

145 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  05:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the topic of Insteon receptacle modules keeps coming up, so I thought I'd make some suggestions. I know a dimming receptacle module would be illegal, so I'm not going to ask for one, but as far as a relay module, ideally it would:

1.) Be selectable whether one or two outlets are switched. The way I like to wire things is to put in double receptacles, one always on and one switched, and invert the switched receptacle to emphasize that it's "special". Easy to tell guests not to mess around with the "upside down" outlets, and helpful for myself too. Some people will use a different color for the same purpose, ie white are always on and brown are switched. Perhaps the easy way to do this is to use screws with a breakway tab like standared receptacles rather than being software selectable.

2.) Be able to be used outdoors, which means being rated for cold and hot weather and shallow enough to fit a standard weatherproof box with enough room for the wires. The Leviton modules I'm using fit, but just barely.

Go to Top of Page

toddbailey
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like them to design a module that actually outlives it's warranty, case in point wall dimmer modules that fail 1 to 2 years after installation.

8 dead and counting... all less than 3 years old.
Go to Top of Page

gatchel

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  6:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by toddbailey

I like them to design a module that actually outlives it's warranty, case in point wall dimmer modules that fail 1 to 2 years after installation.

8 dead and counting... all less than 3 years old.

LOL!
Go to Top of Page

ginigma
Average Member

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  7:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit ginigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm curious. Why do you find 8 dead devices funny?
I think it's pretty sad.

Insteon (46 devices) ^ PowerHome (698 links) ^ Logitech Harmony 880
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  03:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only 8? I've got 14 dead out of 47. :(

Mostly due to failed microswitches under the paddles or whatever the heck it is. Two recent examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0QBG8h-qMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZgxQu6IX3k

Fix the basic problems first, then lets talk about new products/modules. This has been going on since november/december 2005. It's coming up on the 2 year mark.

Hmm. Actually, now that I think about it more, I've got more than 14 defective ones here. I've used a handful of them for appliancelincV2 replacements - before the inlinelinc came out.

Edited by - PeterW on 07/28/2007 03:31:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  07:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

Only 8? I've got 14 dead out of 47. :(

Mostly due to failed microswitches under the paddles or whatever the heck it is. Two recent examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0QBG8h-qMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZgxQu6IX3k

Fix the basic problems first, then lets talk about new products/modules. This has been going on since november/december 2005. It's coming up on the 2 year mark.

Hmm. Actually, now that I think about it more, I've got more than 14 defective ones here. I've used a handful of them for appliancelincV2 replacements - before the inlinelinc came out.

Peter,

Did you ask for replacements? I mean you have a video for them to see and everything so how can they say that they are not defective? Maybe its your finger? Go get a new finger and try again LOL!

I agree that they need to fix that since its over a year and they still at times deny the problem. They really killed themselves with this problem. Its a shame. For the most part the other products worked well (a few other mass returns I "guess" but at least they made good on those).

Just curious if you asked for replacments or not and if you ever got them.
Go to Top of Page

deckhardt

33 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  11:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This terrifies me, Failed SwitchLincs due to micro switch or? I am just starting to experience this in my own home, this could pretty much kill me for any profit on the customer installs I've done.

Even if they are replaced free, I still have to go to the customers location, swap the switch, reprogram it, and pray like heck that any similar failures at their location will all happen at the same time.

I dread the "lather, rinse, repeat" scenario.
Go to Top of Page

sloop
Advanced Member

USA
574 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  11:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am curious if the switches have been changed since the first devices were introduced - seems they have about a 2 year life - i have a new dimmer i fried (wiring it hot) - i'd be willing to mail it to anyone that wants to open it and compare it to an older device's microswitch
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  2:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deckhardt

This terrifies me, Failed SwitchLincs due to micro switch or? I am just starting to experience this in my own home, this could pretty much kill me for any profit on the customer installs I've done.

Even if they are replaced free, I still have to go to the customers location, swap the switch, reprogram it, and pray like heck that any similar failures at their location will all happen at the same time.

I dread the "lather, rinse, repeat" scenario.

This was one of my points to SH Management. They never responded. Ignore the problem and it will go away mentality. But it does work with customers. I wont go away until they do something about it.
Go to Top of Page

bmil
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  11:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent over $1000 installing Insteon in my vacation home. I'm there, at most, 1 or 2 weeks a month so Insteon switch use is much less than a normal household. In spite of minimal usage, I've had to replace 30% of the switches I've installed over the last 2 years for the well known reasons: DOA, paddle/microswitch issues, load flashing, KeyPad LED flashing, etc. I'm sick of it! Although SmartHome got my $1k, they've lost a lot more considering all the people I've talked out of going with Insteon. I'm now starting to eval. UPB vs Zwave for an incremental switch over.

In fairness, I must state that SmartHome has replaced all my returns.
Go to Top of Page

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I saw a web-enabled SecureLinc Family Kit.

Why not for Insteon, too?

I think this might be useful for apartments where Elk M1 can't be installed.

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  2:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bmil

I spent over $1000 installing Insteon in my vacation home. I'm there, at most, 1 or 2 weeks a month so Insteon switch use is much less than a normal household. In spite of minimal usage, I've had to replace 30% of the switches I've installed over the last 2 years for the well known reasons: DOA, paddle/microswitch issues, load flashing, KeyPad LED flashing, etc. I'm sick of it! Although SmartHome got my $1k, they've lost a lot more considering all the people I've talked out of going with Insteon. I'm now starting to eval. UPB vs Zwave for an incremental switch over.

In fairness, I must state that SmartHome has replaced all my returns.

First I am glad they replaced your defective switches. But are you saying that you will still will switch (bad pun) to another product because of all of the failures? I would hope that SH would address this even more then since even offering free replacements is not enough to keep a customer.
Go to Top of Page

splogue
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  12:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IR Bridge. No post would be complete without a little plea for that one.

How about a module that responds to the Homelink transmitter built into many cars? That would be useful.

Sean

"If you can't win, change the rules."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page