Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

SteveW25561
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  11:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been searching and reading, but honestly the answers are a bit above my head.

I have a cottage and want to control the heating via WiFi. We have several baseboard heaters, 220 V using Honeywell 2 lead thermostats with a simple rotary control.

I'd love to set up a WiFi enabled thermostat control for the place, ideally controlling 3 or 4 of the heaters so the place is warm when we get there in the winter. Even better would be if there's a smartphone app that allows you to see the temperatures, but I'd be OK with simply turning on the heat to the temps set at the wall-mounted thermostats.

I found this: Aube-TH115-A-240D-3600w-2-Pole-Baseboard-Thermostat
http://www.smarthome.com/300607B/Aube-TH115-A-240D-3600w-2-Pole-Baseboard-Thermostat/p.aspx

And the Aube telephone controller, but I don't have a phone line (but do have WiFi/broadband -- I could potentially use a MagicJack I guess). I'd still prefer a WiFi setup.

Adding the Insteon IO Link to each Aube thermostat would probably look pretty ugly (wall plug, 2 wires up to the Aube thermostat, plus I think it needs an additional 12V line), so I'd like to avoid this. Other posts I've seen suggested 12V relays and the using the more available low voltage Insteon thermostats, but this seems daunting to me (I plan to DIY).

Does anyone make a simple, all in 1 Insteon comptable thermostat that works with a 2-wire baseboard heater?

Otherwise, can someone suggest a shopping list to make this work? The older posts I found were from 2009 and 2010 so I'm hoping there's more out there now. I'd prefer minimizing the number of wires etc needed, and a direct plug and play replacement of the existing Honeywell rotary thermostats would be ideal!

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  4:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Aube Relay with any internet capable thermostat remains one of the simplest solutions to control baseboard heating remotely when no phone line is available.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

maratrm
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  09:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!
I'm having the same problem.
I have several baseboard heaters in my cottage with rotary thermostats in every room.
I would love to control all thermostats remotely via WIFI/internet.
What kind of setup do you recommend?
Is Aube Relay compatible with wifi furnace thermostats?
Is there any WEB app that allows to control multiple thermostats?

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Aube Relay will allow you to use any thermostat to control baseboard heating. The relay doesn't care what controls the thermostat.

The app will probably depend on the thermostat you choose. If you want to control more that just the thermostats, for example, lighting, then the choices would be different.

Go to Top of Page

maratrm
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advise!
I want to control a thermostat only.
This is a vacation property and I rent it out sometimes during winter season. So I want to keep temperature as low as possible when the cottage is vacant. For instance, I want to be able to adjust temperature remotely after guests left the property.
I have 5 different zones (rooms) and 6 baseboard heaters. It's going to cost a fortune to buy 5 WIFI thermostats on top of 6 Aube relays.
Is it possible to connect all of them to only 1 WIFI thermostat using Aube relay?

Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  11:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can use one thermostat, but you may need more than one relay depending on the ratings of the heaters, The relay has a capacity of 4575 W @ 208 V and 5280 W @ 240 V.

Go to Top of Page

maratrm
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  3:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It means that I can easily connect 2 heaters (1kW) to 1 Aube relay, I guess.
I found typical wiring diagram in the installation guide on Aube website.
What is the diagram should look like in case of 2 (or possibly more) heaters and 1 relay?
How to connect several relays to 1 thermostat?

I found Filtrete WIFI thermostat that works with Electric heaters too:
http://www.radiothermostat.com/filtrete/products/3M-50/
It seems to be a good product for my purpose.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate your help!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  3:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heaters controlled by the same relay are wired in parallel. Because of the voltage involved the wiring should conform to the local electrical code.

Go to Top of Page

maratrm
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  2:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Heaters controlled by the same relay are wired in parallel. Because of the voltage involved the wiring should conform to the local electrical code.

Should all relays controlled by 1 thermostat be wired in parallel as well? I guess, I need only 1 wire "C" from any relay to power thermostat.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  3:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The thermostat needs C (common), R (power), and W (heating). That should come from one relay. Each relay controlled by the thermostat needs R and W only. R and W on relays controlled by the same thermostat are wired in parallel.

Only one relay is required to provide power. The others can be that same (ignore C) or you can use an Aube On/Off Relay.

Go to Top of Page

maratrm
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2012 :  3:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!
I'll let you know the result
Go to Top of Page

Artemis68
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  1:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just came across this site looking for the same reasons you are. I'm needing a wifi solution for my baseboard heaters at my cabin.

While I haven't found anything simple for baseboard wifi thermostats, I did find this:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Automation-Switch-Apple-iPhone/dp/B0089WFPRO

You could always plug a couple of stand alone heaters to use just to bring the temperature up a bit before arriving then switch to the baseboards when you get there.

Edit: Okay, read more thoroughly through responses and followed some more links provided. The wifi outlet is nothing new...

Linnea

Edited by - Artemis68 on 10/23/2012 2:03:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

billybob
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  05:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, i'm a DIYer but am having some difficulty understanding all this. Is the Aube relay a device that allows you to use any thermostat with your electric baseboard heaters, even if the thermostat needs to be powered from HVAC - like the filtrete wifi model?

I too want to remotely control a few baseboards at the cottage. I have 7 baseboard heaters on the ground floor, they are connected to two separate thermostats - one big room. I would like to remotely control just one thermostat (four baseboards equalling 3700 W).

Do I just need the aube relay with the filtrete wifi thermostat?

If I have it all wrong, does anyone have any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  11:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Aube relay allows you to use any standard thermostat to control baseboard heating, even a battery powered thermostat.

There is no restriction on how you control the thermostat, wi-fi, IR, RF, manually, etc.

Go to Top of Page

MoTahoe
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  5:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone fully implemented a wifi-controlled solution for a set of electric (240v) baseboard heaters? It is better to hook all of these to a thermostat and then connect that to a relay? Or better to simply keep these at some set manual knob setting and connect the relay to the circuit itself. Looking for easiest and most efficient solution to bring up the heat at a winter cabin before I arrive there late on a Friday night to stoke up with wood stove.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  5:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

The Aube Relay with any internet capable thermostat remains one of the simplest solutions to control baseboard heating.

quote:
You can use one thermostat, but you may need more than one relay depending on the ratings of the heaters, The relay has a capacity of 4575 W @ 208 V and 5280 W @ 240 V.

Go to Top of Page

PFM
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  2:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now installed two Radio Thermostat CT-30 WiFi-connected thermostats in two different locations and they seem to work well. They are marketed by several companies (Honeywell, Filtrete) and can be bought through Amazon and Home Depot. Perhaps SmartHome should consider adding them to their catalog.

Through a WiFi connection in the house you can monitor all functions, get the actual and setpoint temperatures and even accomplish 7-day programming. The devices are designed to control standard heating systems through 24 VAC contacts. They do need the C (Common wire) from standard thermostat wiring to power them, as the batteries in them will not run them over a long period.

It seems if you combined these with the Aube relay cited in the posts above they could provide a way to control electric heat. The relay has its own 24 VAC supply so that might do to power the Radio Thermostat, but I see reviews claiming that the 24 VAC supply did not have enough current to run the now obsolete Proliphix thermostat, so a little research might be needed or a call to tech support from the two companies. If the Aube relay does not provide enough power then you will need to get a 24 VAC transformer to power the Radio Thermostat.

You are going to have to do some electrical wiring between the Radio Thermostat (low voltage) and the Aube relay and some power-line, high-current wiring between the Aube relay and your electric heaters, so if this is outside of your normal DIY expertise you should have a qualified electrician involved. Indeed, for Code reasons I would advise getting an electrician involved in the heater part of the job.

In principle, you can install several Radio Thermostats in one location, each with its own IP address. The devices provide a means to connect to them via a web service that the Radio Thermostat company provides, but you then have to agree to allow your heating data to be used by them. (Nothing is really free.) If you have several thermostats and you want to control different heaters things can get complicated. One option might be to have one thermostat and several relays that it controls, but you are going to have lots of wires to run around.

I have avoided the use of the company website and get control via a home computer that is on all the time and has a web connection. Alternatively, you may be able to set up your router to do forwarding to the thermostat. There is a nice bit of PC software available at a nominal cost from http://www.setyourthermostat.com/ that provides complete control of the settings. There are also iPhone and Android apps, but they may need you to use the company web site.
Go to Top of Page

PFM
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  06:02:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick update. One of my Radio Thermostats appears to have an issue with losing its wireless connection to my wireless router. The two units are 6 feet apart, so this is not a signal issue. To get things connected again, you have to press the reset button on the thermostat. I am working to track this problem down, and will get back when I find the issue. If this is a common problem the unit would be NFG for use in turning on the heat from a remote location.

The other Radio Thermostat I have at another location, is much further away from the wireless router, and has had 100% uptime since I installed it 2 weeks ago.

Both came from the same vendor.
Go to Top of Page

PFM
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  06:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PFM

Quick update. One of my Radio Thermostats appears to have an issue with losing its wireless connection to my wireless router. The two units are 6 feet apart, so this is not a signal issue. To get things connected again, you have to press the reset button on the thermostat. I am working to track this problem down, and will get back when I find the issue. If this is a common problem the unit would be NFG for use in turning on the heat from a remote location.

The other Radio Thermostat I have at another location, is much further away from the wireless router, and has had 100% uptime since I installed it 2 weeks ago.

Both came from the same vendor.

Update: The problem with the one Radio Thermostat may have been the actions of my trusty home automation assistant, who tends to push buttons and ask questions later. Although it is poorly documented, it may be that if you touch the portion of the screen showing the tiny wireless connection indicator, the Radio Thermostat goes into the provisioning mode and disconnects from the network. In any case, both units I have are functioning well now and are handy to use when you go back and forth from one location to another and want to have your destination warmed up when you arrive.
Go to Top of Page

GeoffJ
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  5:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to this form so please direct my questions elsewhere if needed. I also have a cabin with baseboard heating for which I would like to be able to remotely control the temperature. After reviewing:

Aube-TH115-A-240D-3600w-2-Pole-Baseboard-Thermostat
http://www.smarthome.com/300607B/Aube-TH115-A-240D-3600w-2-Pole-Baseboard-Thermostat/p.aspx

I understand that I can control thermostat(s) over the phone. However, since my cabin has 6 thermostats, it would require a lot of wiring. Is there anyway to do it economically without wiring each thermostat to the control box? How to make 6 separate thermostats controlled by one?

Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2013 :  8:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It can be done with one thermostat using several relays depending on the load of each heater. Read through my replies.

Go to Top of Page

catch
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  9:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in the same position.

Have ADSL at my ski cabin and 240 Volt baseboard heaters. I would love to be able to control the heating remotely.

The Nest solution looks like a perfect fit if only they would support 240 Volts which they do not at this time.

Maybe if more of us requested support for 240 we might get lucky

http://www.nest.com

If you have any other ideas Please let me know.

I only have ADSL with Wifi at my place and 3 rooms with independent thermostats. My idea was to keep the temperature low when I am not up and increase it before I drive up or if I here the temperature will drop.

Thank you for the help.

Currently I am using one:

http://www.smarthome.com/300604/Aube-TH106-4000-Watt-Baseboard-Thermostat/p.aspx

and two:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/honeywell-5-2-day-programmable-baseboard-thermostat/903033?eid=google-product-ext

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2013 :  10:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Aube RC840T-240 On/Off Relay allows you to use any 24 volt thermostat to control 220.240VAC electric baseboard heating. It even provides the needed 24V.

The thermostat controls the Aube relay, the relay controls the baseboard heater. All that is independent of how the thermostat is controlled.

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  6:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this discussion is very useful. thanks.

i wish thermostats makers would make this easier and simply offer wifi thermostats for 240v baseboards. find it hard to beleive there is no market for that. Where i come from electric baseboard is pretty standard heating system.

Anyway, at my cottage I have over 12 thermostats to control the electric baseboards. to control that through wifi, i would have to buy 12 Aube relays and 12 24v wifi thermostats. A very expansive solution. I can't rewire the whole cottage.

are there any other affordable solution?

Jean-Francois
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  6:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even if line voltage WiFi thermostats were available, you'd still need one for each location/zone. But, depending on how the heaters are wired and their location, you may be able to group them.

Are they all in distinct rooms/areas?

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  6:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes all in separate rooms and on several separate circuits. some re grouped, but not sure what the gruping is? each room has its own thermostat.

i would not mind paying $50-75 esch to replace the 7-day thermostats i already have.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  8:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's actually a WiFi thermostat** available for not much more than that, but you'd still need the Aube relay/power supply.

You might want to convert only a few rooms to heat the cottage before you arrive (if that's the reason) and turn the rest of the heat on as needed after you arrive.

** I have no experience with the thermostat.

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  1:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks stusviews

not sure it is available in Canada

still expansive solution ($80 for the thermostat + $40 for the Aube relay)

yes. could do that for a few locations only.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  1:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596192

Go to Top of Page

jfcouture
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  4:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nope! Amazone does not deliver electronic items to Canada

We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  4:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try here: http://motison.com/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page