T1800 5 wire - no power issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  4:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
Installing a T1800 with a 5 wire Honeywell S8600M system. I have the thermostat wired as follows.

Red - R
Green - G
Blue - C
Yellow - Y1
White - W1/0/B

I am getting no power to the thermostat. I am looking at the control panel on the furnace and it looks like the blue wire is not connected... Can someone tell me if that is the issue and can I hook it up if that is the issue? Where do I connect it to on the control panel? I can send a photo but I can't seem to upload one here?

Thanks in advance!
Jay

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  6:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nevermind, that is exactly what I needed. I connected the blue wire at the control panel on the furnace to the C and everything is working fine.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

jday
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  4:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's interesting reading your issue. I had a technician at my house doing some other work today so I decided to have him install my T1800 which I've actually had for a couple of months. Although I have installed all my other Insteon switches/relays, I didn't feel comfortable doing the thermostat. Anyway, it just so happens that my current thermostat had a battery and did not actually have a wire for power (the blue wire in the 5-wire sheath wasn't connected to anything). The technician obviously knew that he needed to connect that blue wire to the T1800 and then go to the air unit itself and connect the other end of the blue wire to get power. However, we still couldn't get any power to the T1800. When he tested the blue wire at the air unit it measured 24, but measured only 12 at the T1800 (the other four wires all measured 24 at the T1800). He said he would need to run new wires from the unit to the T1800 but didn't have them with him. He should return on Friday and try and get the T1800 wired and working. So, for today, he simply reinstalled my old thermostate.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  6:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Yes,that sounds very similar to the issue I was having. I can't imagine why your blue would measure 12 at one end and 24 at the other unless it was split somewhere... (which also does not make sense)

My original thermostat did not have power either. It ran on batteries as you describe. Once installed and working properly, the T1800 is really great. Change the temp from your bed or on your way home. Hopefully, they will resolve your issue with a new dedicated power wire. If not, shout back. We'll get it going one way or another!

Have a great evening,
Jay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page