Talk About the Latest in Home Automation/Home Electronics
Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 INSTEON
 Best Solution For Insteon-Controlled Audio Events?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mdude04 Posted - 04/01/2012 : 9:49:39 PM
I know this is possible with some home automation software but not HouseLinc (which is what I use), but short of buying another entire software program, what is the best way to trigger an audio file to play when an Insteon event occurs? So for example, say I want to play a custom MP3 file when my Insteon-connected doorbell goes off.

Right now the only thing I can think of is a really cumbersome thing like this - buy a stereo with a remote control that can send discrete IR codes for individual tracks, then burn a CD with the custom audio files that I want, and link an IRLinc Transmitter to the Insteon trigger such that it will play that file on the CD in the stereo when the trigger happens.

Can anyone think of a better way, or, if not, perhaps suggest a low-cost software option that can play Insteon-triggered MP3 files?
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mdude04 Posted - 04/01/2012 : 10:09:59 PM
This looks fantastic. Thank you! I'm glad I posted this question here
jdale Posted - 04/01/2012 : 10:00:27 PM
http://www.madreporite.com/deus.htm

Free, works with any of the types of PLM, plays .mp3 files or you can control Windows playlists (.m3u, .wpl). You can associate a specific audio file with a specific sound file (just give the audio file the same name) or you can have more elaborate macros for playlist control, other device control, etc. Also does timers. No link management, but HouseLinc can do that for you.

However, note that you cannot use the PLM for both HouseLinc and another program at the same time. So either you need to close one when using the other, or get two PLMs.

I previously started a thread on it in the computer interfaces board: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9875

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page