- What's Included
This kit includes Home Control Assistant Plus V.12 Home Automation Software and an INSTEON Dual-Band PowerLinc Modem (PLM) to streamline appliance and lighting control in your home or business. Home Control Assistant (HCA) is a Windows based home automation program that works with a variety of automation interfaces to control lights, appliances, irrigation, HVAC and more. With HCA's Programming, Scheduling, Checkbox control and Power Track, you can easily save money, reduce electrical usage, conserve water and improve safety by automating your home.
This kit includes the following devices (click on the product links below for detailed product information, specifications and manuals):
1x - Home Control Assistant Plus V.12 Software
1x - INSTEON PowerLinc Modem
The Home Control Assistant runs on any computer that uses the Windows XP, Vista, Win7, or Windows 8.x operating system. It works with automation interfaces to control lights and appliances in your home using X10, INSTEON, UPB, Wireless and IR technology.
HCA can be installed in a home with existing automation hardware. HCA can "spider" through or Multi-Add all your installed INSTEON network and find all the devices and add them to your home design file. If you are using UPB, HCA can import the network from the UPB setup program. A new automation solution is easy to create using the built-in Wizards for creating a new file, adding devices, creating new schedules, and new programs. Once you have defined all the hardware, adding schedules and programs is simple using the Visual Tools provided. Setting up remote access is very quick as the HCA Web Server is included when you install HCA Plus. An Android client is available from the Google Play store. An Android client is available for download at no-cost from the Google App Store and an iPhone / iPad application is available for download at no-cost from the Apple App Store.
The Home Control Assistant can be operated in stand-alone mode, where a single computer runs HCA and has the attached automation interfaces, or in Client-Server mode. In Client-Server mode one computer runs the HCA server and has the attached automation interfaces. One or more clients run on other networked computers and can simultaneously access the server. These clients see the standard HCA User Interface and can control the automation design as well as make changes to it. A Control Interface is also available to create a user-friendly simple method of controlling a selected set of devices, programs, and groups in your design. In addition to all this, a native Android application is available to act as a client to the HCA Server.
- • Runs in stand-alone or client-server mode
- • Windows based clients with full read-write capabilities
- • IOS and Android clients for read only control on mobile platforms – available from the Apple and Android App Stores at no cost
- • Multiple Schedules created by a visual scheduling tool
- • Unlimited # of programs to respond to events. Constructed in a graphical manner from over 60 different actions
- • Visual program debugger lets you set breakpoints, view state, and control program flow during debugging
- • Use text based scripts to augment visual programs using a rich object model
- • Extensive logging facilities to capture all dynamic aspects of your design
- • Control interface with tiled displays creates a simplified control oriented user interface
- • Integrate with other applications: security, power management, and cameras using HTML views
- • Send email and SMS messages as part of a program action
- • Create and view INSTEON scenes in a graphical manner and remotely program them into INSTEON devices
- • Bridge power line technologies by using multiple power line interfaces simultaneously. Create bridge maps to automatically translate between different technology commands
- • Integrates weather data from web based or weather station sources
- • Powerful "whole house modes" and "checkbox control" for quick power saving programming
- • Background design checker quickly locate design problems
- • Configurable Alert Mechanism for handling exceptional conditions
- • Many tools for creating, viewing, modifying, and documenting the design
- • HCA is well documented in an extensive User Guide
Product Comparison Chart - Standard vs. Plus
Please note that when using HCA for control of INSTEON home automation devices, a PowerLinc modem is required, available with a USB Interface (SKU 2413U) or Serial Interface (SKU 2413S), each sold separately.
USB INSTEON PowerLinc Modem
The INSTEON PowerLinc Modem is a USB-based home automation interface that allows PC- and hardware-based automation controllers to control INSTEON-compatible lights, appliances, heating/air conditioning systems and alarm systems directly via the INSTEON network. The dual-band interface sends and receives both powerline and radio frequency (RF) INSTEON signals, so it doubles as an Access Point. This makes it ideal for new INSTEON installations if you have or plane to use an RF-only INSTEON-compatible remote, thermostat, motion sensor and contact sensor. The RF signal can bypass electrical noise or attenuation near the PC and it pulls many of the "distant" INSTEON devices one hop closer, which can expand the size of potential installations into even larger homes and commercial buildings.
- Built-in Dual-Band with RF function, acts like an Access Point for phase bridging and RF to/from power line
- 1023 links (compared to around 800 links previously)
- Added a beep sounder
- Red/Green LED light
- Supports faster reading and writing of the PLM's database by another controller
- Much lighter weight
- No pass-through outlet
Other PowerLinc Options:
PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON Serial Interface (Dual-Band)
Ideal for Developer Use
Please note that developing application and controls for the PLM is not for the casual home automation enthusiast. Due to the nature of this product, Smarthome's technical support staff cannot offer programming support for developers. We cannot assist in the troubleshooting or development of applications and/or code.
If you are interested in developing software for the PowerLinc or for more information about becoming an INSTEON developer please click here.
Advanced support for INSTEON developers is sold separately.
- • Runs in stand-alone or client-server mode
Specifications Manufacturer Home Control Assistant/INSTEON Manufacturer Product No. 126312DB
For detailed Specifications, please refer to the following product pages for the individual components of this kit:
Home Control Assistant Plus V.12 Software
INSTEON PowerLinc Modem
1x - PowerLinc Modem - INSTEON USB Interface
1x - Quick Start Guide
1x - USB Cable - Type B to Type A
1x - HCA Plus V.12 Software