- What's Included
Home Control Assistant (HCA) is a Windows based home automation program that works with a variety of automation interfaces to control lights, appliances, irrigation, HVAC and more. With HCA's Programming, Scheduling, Checkbox control and Power Track, you can easily save money, reduce electrical usage, conserve water and improve safety by automating your home.
The Home Control Assistant runs on any computer that uses the Windows XP, Vista, Win7, or Windows 8.x operating system. It works with automation interfaces to control lights and appliances in your home using X10, INSTEON, UPB, Wireless and IR technology.
HCA can be installed in a home with existing automation hardware. HCA can "spider" through or Multi-Add all your installed INSTEON network and find all the devices and add them to your home design file. If you are using UPB, HCA can import the network from the UPB setup program. A new automation solution is easy to create using the built-in Wizards for creating a new file, adding devices, creating new schedules, and new programs. Once you have defined all the hardware, adding schedules and programs is simple using the Visual Tools provided. Setting up remote access is very quick as the HCA Web Server is included when you install HCA Plus. An Android client is available from the Google Play store. An Android client is available for download at no-cost from the Google App Store and an iPhone / iPad application is available for download at no-cost from the Apple App Store.
The Home Control Assistant can be operated in stand-alone mode, where a single computer runs HCA and has the attached automation interfaces, or in Client-Server mode. In Client-Server mode one computer runs the HCA server and has the attached automation interfaces. One or more clients run on other networked computers and can simultaneously access the server. These clients see the standard HCA User Interface and can control the automation design as well as make changes to it. A Control Interface is also available to create a user-friendly simple method of controlling a selected set of devices, programs, and groups in your design. In addition to all this, a native Android application is available to act as a client to the HCA Server.
- • Runs in stand-alone or client-server mode
- • Windows based clients with full read-write capabilities
- • IOS and Android clients for read only control on mobile platforms – available from the Apple and Android App Stores at no cost
- • Multiple Schedules created by a visual scheduling tool
- • Unlimited # of programs to respond to events. Constructed in a graphical manner from over 60 different actions
- • Visual program debugger lets you set breakpoints, view state, and control program flow during debugging
- • Use text based scripts to augment visual programs using a rich object model
- • Extensive logging facilities to capture all dynamic aspects of your design
- • Control interface with tiled displays creates a simplified control oriented user interface
- • Integrate with other applications: security, power management, and cameras using HTML views
- • Send email and SMS messages as part of a program action
- • Create and view INSTEON scenes in a graphical manner and remotely program them into INSTEON devices
- • Bridge power line technologies by using multiple power line interfaces simultaneously. Create bridge maps to automatically translate between different technology commands
- • Integrates weather data from web based or weather station sources
- • Powerful "whole house modes" and "checkbox control" for quick power saving programming
- • Background design checker quickly locate design problems
- • Configurable Alert Mechanism for handling exceptional conditions
- • Many tools for creating, viewing, modifying, and documenting the design
- • HCA is well documented in an extensive User Guide
Product Comparison Chart - Standard vs. Plus
Please note that when using HCA for control of INSTEON home automation devices, a PowerLinc modem is required, available with a USB Interface (SKU 2413U) or Serial Interface (SKU 2413S), each sold separately.
- • Runs in stand-alone or client-server mode
Specifications Manufacturer Home Control Assistant Manufacturer Product No. HCAPLUS12 Compatibility Compatible with X10, INSTEON, UPB, Wireless and IR OS Windows XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8.x
- One of the best... Review by tpeter
One of the best...
I have had this product for a couple of years now running on a windows based "Fit-pc" in client server mode. Is rock solid and never crashes. That's right, it doesn't quit and it runs 24x7. Unique, and one of the best features is the visual editor which allows you to visually create programs to automate your lighting, garage doors, appliances and anything that needs to be controlled by dragging, dropping and connecting devices and components to a screen. You don't need to get wrapped up in programming language or syntax to use this product.
It is super easy to use, very comprehensive and very reliable. I found it by accident and would be hard pressed to try any other product as I don't think anything out there even come close.
Posted on 12/13/2014
- Awesome HCA Review by Sully
I have spent the last few years reviewing and trying several home automation software packages. Then I came across Home Control Assistant. I have been using this program for just the short 30 day trial period and I am simply amazed at how easy it is to use, yet still very powerful. The visual scheduler and visual programmer are amazing.
The help screen and online documentation are so impressive. The users guide has 28 chapters plus 12 appendixes plus an additional 6 appendixes on Legacy products and an additional 12 application notes. After that, the support tab continues with FAQs, Technical totes, tutorials and even video tutorials. Then there is a community forum. The forum alone is a goldmine of information.
Spend some time looking at hcatech.com and you will make up your mind. Try the free trial, then buy this software. You will be pleased.
Posted on 11/11/2014
- Fun to learn and use! Review by JerryS
Fun to learn and use!
HCA software is a great way to implement your X-10, Z-wave, Insteon, and many other platforms. Do it your way or let the many built in wizards do it for you. Being a computer nerd myself it was easy to understand and setup. The support staff is more than willing to help you with any problems you might encounter. A real bargin at this price!
Posted on 10/23/2014
- Review of 126812 Review by Murtaza Jaffer
Review of 126812
I have been using HCA Home Control Assistant since 2004 and I have seen it improve and mature over time to fully fledged dependable and easy to use software tool that makes life easy. It is easy to use, reliable, dependable and their customer and tech support is superb.
Posted on 8/5/2014
Leave a Review
- 1x - Home Control Assistant HCA 12 Plus Software Disc