New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GregE
Average Member

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  7:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was helping my brother-in-law get his motion light set up. It's the one Smarthome sells that uses an InlineLinc with sense. He wants it linked to a button on his 6 button KPL so the light will come on if the motion light is on and he wants to be able to turn the motion light on at will from the KPL. I got the KPL linked so it will turn the InlineLinc on and off. I could not get it linked so the KPL light would come on if the motion light came on. I put the InlineLinc into linking mode and then went to the KPL but it would never double beep. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks

Paul Bates
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  10:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, What is the product number on the inlinelinc? 2475S2? The docs for those say that sense wire will activate and deactivate the linked devices.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  1:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GregE

I put the InlineLinc into linking mode and then went to the KPL but it would never double beep. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

What did you do when you went to the KPL? Are you linking the primary or a secondary button?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

GregE
Average Member

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  6:41:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu,

I am trying to link to the scene B button. I've tried multiple ways. I pressed the B button then pressed the set button until KPL beeps. Then I went to the ILL and pressed the set button until it double beeps. That part works great. I can control the motion lights and turn them on and off from the B button on the KPL. I also want the B button to light up if the motion lights come on from motion so I pressed the set button on the ILL until it beeps. Then I tapped the B button on the KPL and held down the set button on the KPL. I'm supposed to do that until it double beeps but it never does. It only single beeps and is then in linking mode instead of completing the link as a responder. I've tried it over and over with the same results. I have an ISY on my house right next door and could add them both as devices so even tried creating a scene that way but it didn't work either.

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

JWillis

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  7:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GregE,

I don't think a remote device triggering on/off will light up the button on a KPL that is hooked to that device. I think the KPL button will only work to send on/off commands to the device it controls. But there is no way for the controlled device to send its on/off status back to the KPL button.

If I am wrong, I hope to read about it here, and be told how to make that happen.

My application - I have a KPL next to my shower. Button A controls an ApplianceLinc hooked to a hotwater recirculating pump. That AppliancLinc is also set up to execute three different scenes so that it cycles the hotwater pump on and off for a 2 hour interval 3 times a day. But when the ApplianceLinc turns the pump on for any one of the 3 cycles, it does not send a command back to Button A of the KPL indicating the hotwater pump is "on".

Coming from the other direction. Say I step into the shower and want immediate hot water, and I know its at a time of day that the recirculating pump is not operating. I can hit button A, it will light up, and turn the pump on. However, if I forget to turn that Button off, it remains lit even if the pump goes through a number of different on/off cycles as a result of timers set through the SmartLinc software. So, no signals are sent from the pump back to the KPL button. I just know that the next time I need to operate the pump, I need to turn Button A off, then on again.

I sure hope I am wrong about this ... I hope there is a way for the KPL and AppliancLinc to talk to each other such that the ON/OFF state of a KPL button will always reflect the ON/OFF state of the device it controls. But I don't think it works that way.

Just an average Joe trying to automate my home.
Go to Top of Page

GregE
Average Member

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  7:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have both at my house and I thought for sure I was able to set it up that way. Stu will let me know if I am crazy or if it can be done. :D
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  7:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Place the ILL in linking mode. Within 4 minutes, press and hold button B until linking occurs, usually 6-10 seconds.

I'm unclear on whether you have two separate dwellings or share one. Do not do this if you are using an ISY to control Insteon devices in that house. The ISY likes to be-no, insists on being-the only route to controlling and managing Insteon devices.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  7:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JWillis
My application - I have a KPL next to my shower. Button A controls an ApplianceLinc hooked to a hotwater recirculating pump. That AppliancLinc is also set up to execute three different scenes so that it cycles the hotwater pump on and off for a 2 hour interval 3 times a day. But when the ApplianceLinc turns the pump on for any one of the 3 cycles, it does not send a command back to Button A of the KPL indicating the hotwater pump is "on".

Coming from the other direction. Say I step into the shower and want immediate hot water, and I know its at a time of day that the recirculating pump is not operating. I can hit button A, it will light up, and turn the pump on. However, if I forget to turn that Button off, it remains lit even if the pump goes through a number of different on/off cycles as a result of timers set through the SmartLinc software. So, no signals are sent from the pump back to the KPL button. I just know that the next time I need to operate the pump, I need to turn Button A off, then on again.

I sure hope I am wrong about this ... I hope there is a way for the KPL and AppliancLinc to talk to each other such that the ON/OFF state of a KPL button will always reflect the ON/OFF state of the device it controls. But I don't think it works that way.

Most insteon devices are two-way, that is both a controller and a responder. Some are only one or the other. An ApplianceLinc is a responder only, so it cannot cause a device to respond. But, you can add button A to the SmartLinc scene and that button's LED will respond to the scene.

Go to Top of Page

JWillis

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  7:32:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Let us know if you get that to work. I'll try the the same with my KPL -> ApplianceLinc if you get your KPL -> ILL to work out. It never occurred to me that once you linked going from KPL -> Controlled device, you could then reverse it and link back the other direction so that on/off signals travel both ways. But, as sure as I try to make that happen, if it's not possible, I'd wind up screwing something up such that nothing would work. That's just my luck.

Go to Top of Page

GregE
Average Member

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  7:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Place the ILL in linking mode. Within 4 minutes, press and hold button B until linking occurs, usually 6-10 seconds.

I'm unclear on whether you have two separate dwellings or share one. Do not do this if you are using an ISY to control Insteon devices in that house. The ISY likes to be-no, insists on being-the only route to controlling and managing Insteon devices.

It is in 2 separate dwellings but they are next door and use the same transformer to supply power so my ISL can see their devices. I had added the ILL to my ISY so I could control it with a program that uses a motion sensor up the driveway but I can get rid of that. Do you think just my ISY being nearby could cause a problem for them?

The only devices they have are the KPL, a switchlinc (because the KPL is on a 3 way light), the ILL for the motion light, a motion sensor (not set up yet), and 2 access points. Would I just be better off to fatory reset everything and then set them up again thru my ISY?
Go to Top of Page

JWillis

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  7:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu, I wrote my last reply before seeing your response to a description of my situation, similar to Greg's. Ah ... thanks Stu. I get it now.

In my case, adding KPL Button A to the 3 scenes where I have the ApplianceLinc cycling the pump on and off for 2 hour intervals would be a vast improvement. So, Button A will reflect the current state of the pump more accurately. Sheesh. Had not thought of that.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  9:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If any one Insteon device in a dwelling is managed by an ISY, then all must be managed by that ISY.

Your (both of you) situation is unique. Use one ISY and combine them, use one ISY and manage only that house, use a separate ISY for each, and, above all, look, join, and post here: http://forum.universal-devices.com/index.php

Go to Top of Page

GregE
Average Member

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  03:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
above all, look, join, and post here: http://forum.universal-devices.com/index.php

Oh I did that long ago and have gotten lots of help for my system. :D

Edited by - GregE on 10/08/2012 10:02:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

GregE
Average Member

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  05:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll check with my sister but I think using my ISY for both houses is the best way to go. Do you think I should factory reset all of her devices (only 3 at this time) before adding them to my ISY or will the ISY clear everything when I add the devices and tell it to?
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  05:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely use the default 'erase existing links' option when adding the 3 devices to the ISY. Factory reset before adding is also a good idea.

Lee G
Go to Top of Page

GregE
Average Member

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  11:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My BIL says let's keep the systems separate since he may add to it in the future. I guess I will delete his KPL and motion light from my ISY and then factory reset his 3 devices and start over. It's ony the KPL, a switchlinc to make the main button on the KPL a 3 way switch and the ILL for the motion. Unfortunately I can't reset the ILL by myself since it requires pressing the set button while restoring power.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page