Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 Structured Wiring done wrong... need to fix !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emferrari
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  5:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a brand new home. It was sold to me that the house has structured wiring and there are RJ45 jacks all over the house. I got Time Warner Cable here and I have this panel installed:

http://www.amazon.com/Open-House-H618-Telephone-Expansion/dp/B00013BNW0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323395477&sr=1-1

However, when I plugged in the RJ45 cable from the cable modem to the IN jack nothing worked and I opened a warranty call into the builder. The person who did the wiring called me saying that if I want internet on all the RJ45 jacks, I shall change the distribution panel, or tear down the wires connected to the H618, clip a RJ45 and then plug into a hub/switch. I was like, WTH!!!!!!

I don't want to buy a 10 port switch and put in there, so I am looking for another distribution panel that will do the same. I was thinking about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Open-House-H628-Termination-Hub/dp/B00013BNVG/ref=pd_sim_e_2

But I was wondering if I can find something better/similar at Smarthome.

thanks for the help!

Eduardo

stusviews

USA
10878 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  6:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The installed pane is a telephone panel. As such, it has 4-wire termination. Cat5 is 8-condutor. Was 4- or 8- conductor cable run to RJ45 hacks. If it's 8-wire, how did the installer terminate it with a 4-wire panel?

BTW, you'll get better performance with a switch than a hub.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

emferrari
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  6:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is 8 wire. I am not sure what he did. I have the feeling he didn't had a clue on what he was doing.

I am an IT professional and I know a switch is better :), but it is really expensive and tight to have a 10 port switch on that panel (I have 8 jacks in the house + the cable modem).

I was trying to find something that would suit my need without having to put a switch there and do the clips.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8282 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  6:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you wire for telephone outlets you connect them in parallel, with all attaching to the same two or three wire pair. A telephone signal takes up relatively little bandwidth and is very forgiving of lower quality cable, marginal terminations and pinched or bent wiring.

Ethernet is a completely different animal. Poor connections or crimped or bent wiring will result in slower speeds and communications errors. Wires from different Ethernet outlets don't connect to each other as with phones, each port must connect to its own, individual port on a router or switch. There's no getting around it, at the minimum you're going to need to bypass that panel and terminate with RJ45 plugs, then add a router and a switch to go with that modem. Unless the installer took correct Ethernet-type precautions when handling, bending and securing what he was treating as telephone wiring, you'll likely need to have someone run new cabling as well. That's probably just as well--don't you want to have phone hookups in the house, too?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  2:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My guess is that he had done telephone work in the past but not LAN. The LAN must have the router and Switch mentioned above that would be fed by you modem. The other risk is that the current room jacks used are not LAN rated but are for telephone connections. For sure the panel he used in the structured wiring center box is a telephone termination block which connects all the runs in parallel. The one you provided a link to is also for telephone and will not work for LANs At a minimum, you are going too have to cut off the runs as close to the telephone block as possible and put RJ45 connectors one each one. There are two stardards(TIA/EIA 568A and 568B) for the order of the wire colors in the connectors. You can google "LAN Wiring Code" and it will come up. They also make connectors called RJ45 EZ connectors which let you push the wire all the way through the connector which lets you pull it up close and not leave long untwisted wire runs. Once the connector is crimped onto the cable, you then cut the excess wire length off the front of the connector. So you would end up with your modem connected to the outside world, it then connects to the router and the switch connectes to the router. The switch exists to give you enough ports since most home routers have 4 jack at the most and you need more. To save some money, you can buy an 8 port switch and plug the two extra cables directly into the router if it has 4 ports. Some routers only have one port in which case, you would need a larger switch to handle all 10 ports. It the wire runs contain an kinks, you could end up with one or more runs that do not work. There are expensive testors which can ring out LAN wiring but my recommendation for you would be to try it and if it works, great, if not, use a wireless router to gain LAN support in that area. Lastly, both ends must be wired correctly. LAN jacks connections are color coded to help you get the correct wire on the correct pin. You can use the A or B spec but both ends of the cable must agree. Also check the wall jack installations to make sure the untwisted portion of the wires are as short a possible. LAN cable relies on the twisted pairs to cancel out noise and connection with excess untwisted wire will degrade the LAN performance for that cable.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8282 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2012 :  2:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The author of this thread only posted two messages and hasn't visited or posted anything to the forum in more than two months, so he probably won't see your well-reasoned response here. In such cases, you may be more effective if you use the link to email the original poster directly.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

joeli_26
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2012 :  2:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Open House H628 Termination Hub will work for cat5e, I am not sure why someone said it's for telephone. yes, it could be use for telephone but in that speaking cat6 works for telephone as well. regardless there will be a hub switch involve. at best to save money put the dsl/cable model in the enclosure as well that will give you 3 extra link but you still need a 5 port hub which i don't think you can find. so a 8 port hub. I've seen cable installer just puch down 2 wire as all they do is 2 wire and at most 4 wire out of the 8 to do telephone. so if you are lucky they pull cat5e instead of cat3.

why do I have to signed up to post, I hate this, as people who are experience they are driving by to find more info. and if the like to give to the community and you put a lock on it they will just go away. it should be 2 different way to post with account and 1 with just type and post
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page