Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmomomo
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  7:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all

Yes, I'm here to complain. =)

About two months ago, I went and bought an Ecobee thermostat for my home. A significant selling point was their support of both Androids and iPhones, though I am an Android owner myself.

Because I live in a three story condo, and the thermostat is on the 2nd floor, where I rarely am, I use my phone almost exclusively to adjust the settings when needed.

I have come to the conclusion that Ecobee just doesn't care about it's Android app or Android users. No company that cared would allow for the serious bugs that exist in this app to go unfixed for so long.

There are a couple of significant issues at this time:

Although it looks like the app seems to cache login credentials on occasion, it really doesn't save your login info. For me, I have to login with my email address and password every single time I want to use the app. I don't use a wimpy password either, so it is a huge pain.

To add insult to injury, you can't even see what you are tying into the username and password fields! The Ecobee Android app obscures the username and password field because it was badly written. There is no way to get around this, so you need to be sure you put in your exact login information correctly the first time, while typing it in blindly, or else you basically have to start over or go back and forth a couple of times. This is a noob-101 Android app developer issue that could be easily fixed if they would just get on it.

I would not hold my breath for any improvements on the Android app. It has been over six months since they had any significant updates to resolve bugs, though they did have a rather insignificant update back in October.

I would say that their attitude can best be summed up by their home page. If you look at Ecobee's website today, they have a picture of an iPhone, an iPad, and a MacBook pro... but nothing Android related to be seen anywhere.

Ecobee launched their first iPhone app back in November 18th, 2009. They didn't even bother with an Android app until February 17th, 2011. That says a lot. Android had already overtaken iPhone in regards to sales by mid 2010.

I really can't recommend Ecobee to anyone until they get these bugs fixed and then improve the functionality of their thermostat controls. There are also a number of functionality bugs with the thermostat itself that I could complain about, but I'll leave it to their lack of Android love for now.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8282 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  7:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally speaking, while they seem to be getting better every day, *many* Android apps still just aren't as smooth or polished as their iOS alternatives. It's like the more open platforms don't attract the same kind of consistency in user experience.

In any case, the communicating thermostat market isn't standing still--if one company has trouble, they'll either need to address it or another company will fill the void.

What does Ecobee have to say?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  8:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ecobee support

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

jmomomo
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2011 :  4:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

FYI, Ecobee support said, "We are aware of this and a fix is in the works." regarding at least one of these issues. That was about two months ago.

Also, this post is now showing up as google result #6 for "ecobee android".
Go to Top of Page

marklyn
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  07:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. Add me to the list too. I spoke to an EcoBee customer service person about this issue the other day and he was 'unaware' of these issues. I sent him links to several forums or blogs that complained about this.
He said he was passing this on to the mobile development team but from seeing these posts, I'm not holding out much hope.
I've had mine for under 2 weeks so on week 3.5, if there is no clear indication that a fix is in the works, I'm going to return it.
For me, not caching login/password info and having to re-type it each time is a deal breaker.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page