New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

r4home
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2011 :  4:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
we recently bought our first home in the San Francisco Bay Area. The house was built in 1951, but a major overhaul and some additions were done in '99--2000. it looks like there are RJ11 drops to the rooms that were added/remodeled during the renovations. I have no use for this, and would love to replace these with Cat 6 so i can wire AV gear in the rooms. my questions are:

1. the distribution box for the RJ11 cables is mounted in the garage right at the top. i can see the cable run go around the wall, and then presumably in to the attic. is it fair to assume that the attic is where the cable run is? the roof is a very low roof, and i cant imagine there would be any room for a person to get in to those corners. whats the best way to verify/trace these cables?
2. is it possible to use the current single pair wires as a fish tape equivalent? i.e. can i tape/staple my cat6 cables to one end of the single pair and complete the cat 6 run by pulling on the other end of the single pair cable? i know it sounds low tech, but i've only ever done cables in unfinished office suites. and never in a home.

thanks for your time.

r4.

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  4:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using the existing RJ11 is a good idea for sure. But, keep in mind you will really want to make sure its tied tight! Some key things to keep in mind is that if you decide to pull solid CAT 6 vs stranded CAT 6 you must ensure when pulling you do not exceed the maximum pull tension etc. Also, keep in mind that any sharp bends, kinks, or twists will damage the cable.

If in doubt lube the cable a little to allow a smooth pull . . . When terminating the ends ensure cross pairs are kept to minimum lengths to stay within spec and allow you to realize the full potential of the CAT 6 cabling. Do not cheap out on the RJ45 plugs and crimp all wire correctly and watch for correct color standards.

It only takes one time to cross a pair only to have poof . . .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page