New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pharmboy
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  9:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am running telephone, quad-shield RG6, and Cat 5e cable for my new house. I'm not able to go from the structured wiring panel to the outlets without somehow passing by the HUGE service cable coming in from my meter to the electrical service panel. I've read that you should stay at least 12 inches away from regular electrical wire (14/2, etc) when running parallel and at least a couple inches when passing perpendicular. What about when passing perpendicular to the service cable? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

stusviews

USA
10852 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  10:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The distance depends on the voltage, not the size of the conductor. Just hanging the wires/cables is not sufficient. They must be secured to ensure the distance, the more the merrier

If outdoors, an insulated spacer is usually used.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

pharmboy
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  8:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was dependent on the voltage but it seems like the increased amount of amps going through it would have an affect. For extra precaution would I be smart in running the cables through a conduit when they pass by the service wire? Would that be unnecessary or potentially cause some other unforeseen problem? Thanks for the help! Being able to not have to completely avoid the service wire is going to make my life a lot easier.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10852 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  10:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Because of the purpose of separating the wires/cables - to minimize interference due to induction - it is beneficial only if the conduit is non-metallic. Distance is the ultimate goal.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page