Remote on switch with automatic timeout
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

toaster
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  1:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in the market for a remote on switch with automatic 30 min (or adjustable) timeout. Example use: I am in the bathroom, hit a button, and my hot water pump turns on in the garage. 30 minutes later it automatically turns itself off. No human interaction to turn off the pump.

I don't care if it is a small remote control, or my android phone, wireless, X-10, etc. Would be desirable to have on the remote a means to see if the pump is already on.

I have tried searching extensively for this to no avail. It is hard to find the automated off feature. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  03:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can use a RemoteLinc2 to trigger a timer button on a KeypadLinc Timer to do that. Add a SmartLinc and the MobiLinc app to control or check status from your phone.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10843 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2011 :  1:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you really want to carry a remote and/or phone to the bathroom whenever you want hot water?

A KeypadLinc switch will allow control of the bathroom light, control of the hot water pump (via the KeypadLinc Timer) and show the state of the timer (On or Off). You'll also have some buttons available to control, for example, the kitchen or bedroom or hall light or all of them.

And, you can optionally add a RemoteLinc and SmartLinc, too

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

toaster
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  9:13:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really need a remote versus a wall mounted switch. I don't want to modify the house. Can you suggest another option? Thanks!

Edited by - toaster on 09/26/2011 9:15:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10843 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2011 :  10:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How is the hot water pump controlled now? How is it connected? You will certainly need to get at that wiring and/or controller.

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  04:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The RemoteLinc 2 can be wall mounted or handheld. http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=remotelinc%202

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

toaster
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  8:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a mechanical timer that the hot water pump plugs into (and the timer into the standard wall outlet). Same old school style as hot water tanks with a circular dial and you place little pegs to indicate when it turns on/off on a daily cycle.

The pump uses about 100W so I would prefer it only to be on as needed versus the few hours window it is currently on. Since it isn't even programmable, we have to leave a few hours on either side for the weekends. Yes we could go manually turn it on, but we have a tendency to leave it on for longer than needed. So I am trying to take the human error out of the loop.

So what I wanted is a device to plug the pump into that we can remotely trigger it to turn on and then automatically from that point in time turn off in about 30 min (or programmable amount) later.

Seems like the recommended set up here is to use three devices. The device to plug the pump into, the keypadlinc with the timer ability, and the remotelinc to trigger the keypad. The keypad looks like it takes a place of a wall switch. This isn't desirable, this house has an abundance of lights, each wall switch usually is usually several wall outlets wide. So replacing one isn't a good option because it would look bad.

So this is why I would like to see if there is a two device option the device to plug the pump into and the remote. Are these smartlinc devices not open source or some other ability to allow the pump to turn off automatically after 30 minutes?

Thank you everyone for your time and responses. I know this is an unusual request, but I also put it out there as a good business opportunity for someone to go ahead and provide this.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10843 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2011 :  11:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A entirely plug-in solution is easily available if you can accept more than two devices and can wire a lamp.

Replace the timer with an ApplianceLinc

Install a KeypadLinc Timer in a Tabletop Enclosure (black or white is available) and plug it in. This is the part that requires wiring - before plugging it in

Plug in at least one Access Point There is a 50% chance you will need two.

Add any Insteon RemoteLinc to control the heat pump automatically as well as manually. This includes the remote suggested by Tfitzpatri8.

Go to Top of Page

toaster
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  9:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know about the tabletop adapter. I bought the keypadlinc, the tabletop adapter, and appliancelinc. If I see that it works well enough I'll look into the access point and remotelinc.

Thanks for your assistance!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10843 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  9:53:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Plug the KeypadLinc/Tabletop device into the pass-through (front) outlet on the ApplianceLinc.

Plug any lamp into the controlled outlet and ensure that the lamp is on - bulb lit.

Link any button on the KeypadLinc as a controller of the ApplianceLinc. Test it!

If it works - and it will - place the devices where you want to use them. Success? HRAY

N. You'll need two correctly located dual-band devices. It is not difficult.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page