PowerLinc Modem 2412UH Win7 64-bit blue screen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lapeltz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  1:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am running Windows 7 64-bit computer with SmartHome HouseLinc 2.5.66 and Device Definition Version 2.5.0.10 ever since I installed HouseLinc and the 2412 UH modeum I have been having problems with my computer blue screening and shutting down - sometimes 2-3 times a day. I installed the new driver. I did not figure out that the blue screen was related to the SmartHome modeum until I unplugged it and my computer didn't blue screen - the computer is still running without any blue screens for over a month now.

I really like HouseLinc, but I really can't have my desktop crashing that frequently. I would rather live with out the headaches.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a newer driver that won't crash my computer as frequently?

Lorri

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8278 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  1:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm running a copy of HL on Win 7 64 bit and using the USB stick interface and it's rock-solid.

You're a bit behind the times, the current version of HouseLinc is up to 2.6.86. I'd start by installing the necessary Windows Updates to get you current, then by updating to the latest version of HL--that way you deal with the possibility that you have some kind of file corruption in your HL executable files.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

lapeltz
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  5:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

I'm running a copy of HL on Win 7 64 bit and using the USB stick interface and it's rock-solid.

What is the USB stick interface - I am using a USB connector direct into the computer. I ran with this for multiple months of crashes and I update when notified every time. This setup has been blowing up for months until I unplugged it.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8278 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  6:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a file corruption issue. If it were me, I'd restart Windows, log in with an Administrator account, use the Windows uninstaller, select HouseLinc, then when given the choice to uninstall or repair choose repair.

When it's done, run HL, check for updates, then download and install the 2.6.86 update. You should be able to do all that even with the PLM unplugged. (When the message comes up that no PLM was found, just click on Cancel to make the dialog disappear.)

The USB stick is just a different model of HouseLinc PLM. If you aren't able to update HL, that suggests a file corruption or permissions issue rather than a hardware problem with your PLM.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page