New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hurricanefl
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  11:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I able to use one togglelinc dimmer in a 3-way with a non-dimmer togglelinc for 4 kitchen fluorescent lights? I understand that it will not likely dimmer however I have 4 dimmers I need to place around the house and only one non-dimmer switch left.

If I have to, I may pull out one of my non-dimmer switches already installed but I was wondering if it would work ok or if it would ficker or have problems on the dimmer switch.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8282 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  11:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's really no such thing as an Insteon 3-way--instructions in the Owner's Manual explain how just one switch connects to the load while others connect to Line and Neutral and get their Load wire capped. The other controls are effectively just remote controls for the switch that actually powers the load.

That said, you want to connect that non-dimming load to a non-dimming switch, which you already said you are doing. It doesn't matter what other kinds of controllers you use to remotely-control that relay device--other controllers can be relays, dimmers, battery-operated remotes or motion detectors or... doesn't matter, so long as they are Insteon controllers.

If you send an On signal from a dimmer to a relay, the relay will turn on; Off turns a relay Off; the relay device that is connected to the load will just ignore Bright and Dim commands.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

hurricanefl
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  11:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if I understand you correctly, I can have the load go into the non-dimmer togglelinc then send the line to the dimmer switch and then to the kitchen light. THEN, set it up so that the dimmer switch is a relay to turn the light on and off? Does it matter if the load goes first to the non-dimmer or dimmer toggle?

Thank you for all your help. I knew nothing about outlets or plugs prior to coming to this forum. In fact I thought that the red was positive and black negative when I pulled the socket out. Now, I know how a 3-way is usually wired, can use a volt meter to test for a hot wire and change a circuit breaker (oops, that last one wasn't learned here). It was due to shoving the wires in a 3 gang box with the ground contacting the screw on a 2-way switch. Glad I didn't start a fire... respect the electricity. Motto from this point on.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8282 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  12:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, the dimmer would connect to line and neutral only. You would connect the non-dimming, relay switch to line, neutral and load. All the neutrals tie together, and you electronically link the dimmer and relay switches so they control each other.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page