INSTEON
 Venstar T5800 ColorTouch Thermostat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zacht

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  08:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Send zacht an AOL message  Click to see zacht's MSN Messenger address  Send zacht a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to connect a Venstar T5800 ColorTouch Full Color Touch Screen Thermostat to an ISY-99I or other Insteon devices? I was planning to use a Venstar T1700 One Day Programable Thermostat, but the Venstar T5800 ColorTouch Full Color Touch Screen Thermostat looks so much nicer.

Zach T.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8277 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2011 :  08:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could add relays and IOLincs to tell your ISY when there was a call for heat or call for AC, but Venstar hasn't yet released any other means of communicating with the T5800 other than using the built-in touch screen. The 5800 doesn't actually have an external communications port, so it might pay to either use the T1700 for now or wait to see if their next model up incorporates an external port or wifi or some other means of talking to it.

Isaac from SmartLabs suggested folks contact Venstar directly to help them gauge customer demand for Insteon compatibility in future products. See more information here: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7704#

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

zacht

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2011 :  08:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Send zacht an AOL message  Click to see zacht's MSN Messenger address  Send zacht a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just created a petition that emails both Venstar email addresses.
http://www.change.org/petitions/create-a-venstar-colortouch-thermostat-that-is-insteon-compatible

Zach T.

Edited by - zacht on 03/20/2011 08:34:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

SteveD
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  09:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Venstar came out with an affordable, price point, color touch screen thermostat recently for the residential market.
To achive the desired price point, this product was designed to be a 'no frills' model.

Follow-on models will have enhancements that will include humidity control, wireless capabilities, Internet connectivity and yes, Insteon compatibility.
Venstar will also soon deliver commercial models of the ColorTouch thermostat.

We are currently in the development cycle of the different iterations of ColorTouch.
Stay tuned with a little patience and there will be a Insteon capable ColorTouch thermostat.
Steve Dushane
Venstar, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Daniel Vanderbyl
Starting Member

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2011 :  7:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Daniel Vanderbyl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hi Everyone,

FYI - I emailed Venstar on March 28th '11 and their rep said they will be coming out with a ColorTouch T5900 which will be compatible with Insteon through the same plug-in jack (INSTEON Thermostat Adapter Model #2441V) used on the T1700, T1800, T1900 series. I can't wait!

(The ColorTouch T5800 is NOT Insteon compatible.)

Danny

Reference the above, here is an update I received on 1 August '11:

quote:
There have been some great changes recently and our {Venstar} engineers have figured out how to make the current model T5800 ColorTouch compatible with Insteon or even a WiFi internet system using a simple accessory. This accessory will be backwards compatible with all existing T5800 thermostats. We are planning to release later on this year, probably in the October/November time frame.

Regarding the HRV {humidity} control, that will not be available until the new T5900 is released and we don't have a date for that product just yet.

I think I'll jump and buy a T5800 then, even if I have to sell it later, just to support Venstar. :)

My reno blog - http://adreamhome.wordpress.com
My "Housing Technology" Social Bookmarks - http://www.diigo.com/list/scriptures4life/housing-technology-_-si_ps-csi_ps-ic_fs-insulation

Edited by - Daniel Vanderbyl on 08/15/2011 7:32:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

lithiumus
Starting Member

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2011 :  7:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitley following this... A question I have is whether the T5800 supports Hydronic radiant floor heating? The other T1x00 modesl specify this but the T5800 does not. As well, the T5800 only accepts external outside temp not external surface mount, etc which is better suited for in-floor heating.
Go to Top of Page

swbrains
Average Member

62 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  12:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE:
Given that it is now November, I asked Venstar about the Insteon linking accessory, and here was the reply I received today:
"The ColorTouch Insteon SD module should be available around the first of the year and should be relatively inexpensive. Keep checking with Smarthome for updates."
Go to Top of Page

smbaker
Average Member

60 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  09:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what answer you'll get when you email them in February?

I'm also anxiously awaiting this product. I'd almost buy a T5800 right now if I knew for sure the module was coming and what its capabilities would be. I don't want to buy a T5800 and then end up hearing mid next year I need a T5800+ or a T5900 or some such thing.
Go to Top of Page

swbrains
Average Member

62 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  9:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought the T5800 mostly just because it was cool. ;) I'm not even sure I'll use the Insteon capability. I'm not convinced that I want RF signals controlling my A/C compressor and air handler. Even though the compressor and air handler have a protection circuit, I'm still a bit wary about stray RF signals turning it off and on randomly, or changing the temp to 50 degrees so the A/C runs amok while I'm out or overnight. ;)

My three Triggerlincs have had intermittent issues with getting RF signals through and I've installed a hard-wired phase coupler as well as two access points (one per phase) as well as a dual-band modem on my ISY-99 (this is all on a 3-year-old 1700 sq ft. ranch). Even though RF problems are not common in this house with regard to Insteon signals, they do occur sporadically. I'm not sure yet that I want to have "sporadic" signals doing anything to control a $2K compressor. ;)
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10856 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2011 :  10:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you saying that you have Insteon RF problems? That spurious RF signals turn Insteon on and/or off?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

smbaker
Average Member

60 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  10:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any updated information on the Insteon adapter for the T5800 ?
Go to Top of Page

binaryman
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  11:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Said time frames, t5800 accessories 1st Quarter 2012, t5900 late 2nd quarter 2012. Doesn't make me any less anxious... message edited slightly:

We will be releasing an accessory that will plug into the SD card slot and allow the T5800 to connect to an Insteon system. However we will ALSO be releasing (first) a WiFi Skyport Key that will plug into the SD card slot and allow you to access your thermostat over the internet from your smartphone or computer AND will allow you to connect to WiFi humidity and temperature sensors.....so yes, in the T5800 it's going to be Insteon OR Humidity via WiFi...not both :0(

However!! In the T5900 humidity will be built-in so you won't need a WiFi card clogging up the SD card slot...it will be free to use the Insteon card that we will be releasing. So, the T5900 will have Humidity and you can ADD Insteon compatibility via the SD card slot.
Go to Top of Page

binaryman
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  11:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, this response from the made me make the jump to get the t5800.. love it so far.. just can't wait til I can't link it with my ISY :)
Go to Top of Page

smbaker
Average Member

60 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  11:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
We will be releasing an accessory that will plug into the SD card slot and allow the T5800 to connect to an Insteon system. However we will ALSO be releasing (first) a WiFi Skyport Key that will plug into the SD card slot and allow you to access your thermostat over the internet from your smartphone or computer AND will allow you to connect to WiFi humidity and temperature sensors.....so yes, in the T5800 it's going to be Insteon OR Humidity via WiFi...not both :0(

It seems to me like the more valuable accessory for the T5800 will be the WiFi key. Once we have connectivity we can always come up with some third party way of integrating it with insteon devices (via a PC, or ISY could add support, etc).
Go to Top of Page

mike328
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  3:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is now almost end of April. Has anyone heard any updates?
Go to Top of Page

JoeB
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  6:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike328,
At the beginning of April, I was told by venstar that WiFi version of color thermostat about May, with Insteon soon to follow after that.
Go to Top of Page

mike328
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  7:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe!
Go to Top of Page

mike328
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  2:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bumping the post to update.

Emailed Venstar earlier this year and they said the Insteon support would be out in fall 2013. It is now December and there is still nothing.

Pretty disappointing.
Go to Top of Page

JoeB
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  2:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mike328,
I had just assumed that they had given up on the idea, since they came out with there own Internet Controlled Option for the Thermostat.
Go to Top of Page

mike328
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  7:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems that way JoeB. They must have figured it was too much to develop once they actually started doing it.

At least it has internet control as an option :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page