Why 2 RG6 cables at each drop?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davper
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  7:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see in some of the postings that people are running 2 coax and you can buy bundled wire with 2 RG6 coax.

Why 2 rg6 coax?

Edited by - davper on 02/18/2011 7:50:26 PM

GregE
Average Member

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2011 :  1:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I built my house 6 years ago, I ran 2 RG6 and 2 CAT5 to each drop in the house. In most rooms I did this twice. That was a lot of wiring but I did it myself and fortunately got everything free. The reason I did 2 of each was because a friend told me I would need it if I went with satellite TV plus it's much easier to do it with open walls. Looking back, I am glad I ran the 2 RG6 and 2 CAT5 but I definitely didn't need to do it in all the rooms twice.

The reason I am glad is because I went with Dish and with the receiver I have I can connect 2 TV's to it. The satellite dish uses 1 RG6 to connect to the receiver and then I can use the other RG6 to connect a TV in any other room in the house. Where my main TV goes, I actually ran more RG6 and was glad I did because I could use another one to put an antenna in the attic so I could pick up OTA signals with my Dish receiver.

It's looking like we will be moving and might be building again. This time I will probably let the builder run the wiring and I will probably still do 2 RG6 and 2 CAT5 but not as many drops.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page