IR Issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trembirt
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  10:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 1 cable box for the LR and one for the MBR, both are the same model and manufacturer. I want to put them in the same location in a separate room in the house. I understand the concept of using IR, but if I do a 2 zone IR hub controlling both cable boxes, will I run into the problem of changing the channel on the LR cable box with the MBR remote since all of the equipment is the same? or do I have to use 2 separate hubs?

Thanks

Press2Esc

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  5:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Along with the (data) commands you are sending via the IR unit (transmitter), each IR receiver receives unique control requests (data). These "requests" are made up of the command data (e.g., volume up, channel down, etc) and controlling unit's IR address (e.g., MBR CableBox, LR CableBox, MBR TV, etc). Make sense??

P2E
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10856 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  6:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A multi-zone IR hub allows controlling the same set of device(s) from multiple locations. However, it cannot distinguish one identical device from another.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Press2Esc

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  6:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like each IR "run" terminates to 2 separate cable boxes. So when you attach individual IR transmitters on each AV source, the IR signal should not affect the adjacent box. If the identical cables boxes sit directly on top of one another & the adjacent IR signal does affect the other cable box, extend a piece of wood or metal between the equipments IR sensor to block the "interference"...

P2E
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page