Insteon Switch Failures?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raypanic
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  12:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 30+ wall switches 2476D and others, They have been installed for a year or so. I seem to be having switch failures on the switches that are used the most. Tap the switch on or off and nothing happens. My wife and kids are getting very frustrated as I am as well.

If you hold the switch it will turn on or off but it seems a quick tap dosent register. Occasionally they will work fine but mostly not.

I have tried to tap them slower and be more deliberate but some times it takes 7 or 8 tries, I here the switches clicking but no operation. I have reset them and re-programmed them as well But to no avail. I have one now that is just dead (no lights) and another plug in module that is dead too.

I have the Houselink software that I check to make sure there are no dead links and have up loaded the whole database a couple of times too.

It just seem to me the switches are wearing out. I just wanted to post this before I start replacing them. Any help would be appreciated I have about 5 right now that are constant problems.

Edited by - raypanic on 02/27/2008 12:37:11 PM

Xpendable
Advanced Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  12:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Xpendable's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a known problem that can exist on switches manufactuered up until sometime last year (not sure when exactly). The 2 microswitches beneath the paddle can fail independently over time due to oxidation. This can and does occur even if the switches are never used. The good news is supposedly this was fixed in recently manufacturered switches by changing to a different microswitch in the manufacturing process (or maybe the manufactuer of the original microswitch fixed the problem). If your switches are still under warranty, try calling Smarthome and get them to do an RMA to get replacements. There's also a document out there somewhere that shows you how to replace the microswitches yourself, but my understanding is it requires some soldering skills. I wouldn't attempt that on a switch that is still under warranty.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  12:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SmartHome is now shipping 2476Ds with an improved tact switch because of this issue.

It sounds like you are well within warranty - give SmartHome a call and they will gladly replace any failed switches for you.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

raypanic
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great thanks for the information, This sounds exactly like what the problem is.
Go to Top of Page

pew
Average Member

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  09:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are will also work with you on ones that are out of warranty.

Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page