Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

gregjsmith
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  10:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit gregjsmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jhimmel
These people are too -

http://simplehomenet.com/

When are they going to actually release their products? Anyone know?

http://www.greginthedesert.net/
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  8:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike's Homepage  Send mike an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I heard that they were shooting for Q3 for at least the irrigation controller. They are a 3rd party developer so it is not first hand knowledge on my part.

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net
Go to Top of Page

pfortin
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  1:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just getting started on my setup but what I'd love to see is:

- Wired-In Signal Bridge to enhance com reliability between phases
- Advanced version of Powerlinc V2 featuring:
+ Ethernet connectivity
+ Much more on-board memory
+ Capable of running complex routines/macros on stand-alone basis
+ integrated web-server
- Cost-effective wall-mounted touchscreen
- Receptacles of all kinds
- Slicker RF remotes

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

Douglas Lorenz
Average Member

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  07:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good call, pfortin...

I'd love to see an Ethernet connected Powerlinc, preferably using the xAP communications protocol... An Ethernet connected PLC would allow for greater redundancy when developing a home automation system...
Go to Top of Page

Jimmy

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2006 :  09:02:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- A slight twist on the existing appliance/lamplinc modules - When you press the set button on existing modules, your hand blocks the view of the status LED. It would be nice if the set button & status LED swapped locations!

- A hard wired / plugin signal bridge

- A nice looking cordless hand-held RF remote. One with backlit keys would be very convenient to leave on the nightstand.

- Insteon in-wall outlets (without bright status indicators)

- Switchlincs without the nightlight feature so switches can be installed in bedrooms or other rooms where you want it dark at night. I love the X10 Switchlincs with the dim indicator (with the lights off), but don't want anything brighter.

- An Insteon/X10 controller with better X10 signal strength. When I replaced my CM11A with the 2414U Insteon controller, many of my X10 modules either could no longer be controlled, or only operate intermittently. Although it would be nice to swap all the critical items with Insteon, I still would like to be able to control some X10 modules for things like Christmas lights, Halloween props, etc.

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

Quixote
Average Member

61 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2006 :  09:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has ayone mentioned door/window sensors yet? I'm fed up with my X10 ones.
Go to Top of Page

MichaelDStark
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2006 :  2:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My want's are as follows:

1. PowerFlash Interface Module
2. Universal Module
3. Motion Sensors (I like the idea of "hard wiring" them...no batteries)
4. Sprinkler System Controller
5. Outdoor Rated (water resistant) LampLinc/ApplianceLinc type hardware. (for Pond Pumps, XMas Lights, etc.)
6. Electrical Outlets (for areas where we don't want to see the LampLinc modules, etc)

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Michael D Stark
mstark@gt.rr.com
Go to Top of Page

Jimmy

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  4:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Signal Bridge, I should mention that I'd want it to bridge both X10 & Insteon signals (one unit) if possible.
Go to Top of Page

CR Kuning
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2006 :  8:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have five Insteon dimmers and one keypad controller that are intended to do (once installed) lighting scene control in the home theatre. I'd like the same scenes to activate universal modules to act as momentary switch closures into the Lutron Sivoia window shade controller. If the old X-10 universal modules won't play nice, then I'd be requesting an Insteon universal module. Quickly please.
Go to Top of Page

Charbinjr
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2006 :  05:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like this list and would like to add:
Allow timers and events to have a name (Weekend Vacation; NightOut-Random Lighting; etc)
Give us a checkbox to enable/disable timers and events!

quote:
Originally posted by RTQ

Here are some software ideas:

1. The ability to set a timer for more that 15 minutes before or after sunrise/sunset. An hour or more would be more helpful.

2. How about the ability to save your module definitions and timer setup to a file?

3. I'd like to be able to define a module some other way than the run-all-over-the-house-to-push-the-set-button approach. Come on - who thought of that one?

4. Conditional timers please. For example: if the lamp module is at 100%, dim it to 50% - otherwise do nothing.

5. It would sure be helpful to see what's stored in the controller - like the time and sunset/sunrise time.

6. Currently (I think) the software does not let you look at the information about a module that was previously defined to the controller if the controller is not able to connect with it. This is frustrating. If I'm trying to trouble-shoot, then I should be able to see this information.

7. Finally, a list of all modules and their statuses would be helpful.

Thank God we don't get all of the government that we pay for!
Go to Top of Page

alternety

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  1:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A wall wire in keypad with a relay instead of dimmer. Almost all of my lighting is some form of flourescent. That is the way the world is supposed to go for energy savings.

In looking at my house design I have multiple situations where I want a keypad in the box that controls a load that cannot be dimmed.
Go to Top of Page

alternety

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  1:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A wall switch that can be directly substituted for one switch in an n-way circuit. This allows software/whole house control of a circuit that does not warrant the cost of multiple active electronic switches.

This should include a realy version. Most of my lights will be flourescent.
Go to Top of Page

usafgadget

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  7:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see the following products developed:

- Outdoor rated control modules or outlet modules for things like low voltage lighting, pool pumps, etc.

- IR interface; like most others in here I would like to control my house from anywhere, including my couch.

- Telephone/email interface hardware/software; like the x10 telephone responder. Web control might be good but nearly everyone these days has a cell phone with them 24/7 but perhaps not a computer (car, out to dinner, shopping).

Chris

Go to Top of Page

andrewm568
Average Member

79 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  3:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KeypadLinc button configurations

This suggestion is a modification to an existing product rather than a new product...

The KeypadLinc is a very flexible switch device that is currently sold as being able to be used in 6 or 8 button mode. However its ability to cross-link buttons means that given suitable plastic inserts, it would be able to be used in other configurations. Eg using 4 of the current large buttons would give you a 4-button keypad - after all, sometimes 6 buttons is just too many for a particular installation, and it doesn't look good to leave blank positions. Using 2 new "double-large" buttons would turn the keypad into a 2-button pad, etc. If designed right, maybe other combinations would be possible.

Similarly, it may also be possible to provide large buttons in a vertical rather than horizontal layout. This may make the key-grouping more obvious (eg upper half = on / bright / volume up, lower half = off / dim / volume down)

I haven't really examined closely the plastic frame that holds the keys, so I don't know what is mechanically involved in realizing this suggestion. But it would seem to fit well with SmartHome's current strategy of switch customization. A limit would have to be drawn though as to how much reconfiguration is cost-effective before it makes more sense to provide a small touchscreen device, which would offer the ultimate in reconfiguration.
Go to Top of Page

Ryno
Average Member

69 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2006 :  7:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd definitely like to second the request for being able to use a KPL as 4-button or 2-button.
Go to Top of Page

duwa348

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  07:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Can you give us an update on product schedules for Q3 and Q4?

--Don
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  07:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike's Homepage  Send mike an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by duwa348

Mike,
Can you give us an update on product schedules for Q3 and Q4?

Please see this thread http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=429

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net
Go to Top of Page

VTCarl
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  09:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if you already have this, but I'll actually do have a problem I'm trying to solve.

In brief, I'd like a module that fits inside a ceiling fan cowling that controlls the fan speed and light brightness.

My house was wired for ceiling light fixtures in the bedrooms. Unfortunately, only 12x2 wire was installed. I replaced the light fixtures with ceiling fans, using fan rated utility boxes attached to the studs. What I'd like, is to control the fan speed and the fan's light kit separately - ideally with a single-gang dual wall switch replacing the existing switch that was controlling the light fixture - all for around $60.
Go to Top of Page

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  2:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did someone mention receptacles? Take that further to GFCI receptacles, and maybe a triplex receptacle like at http://www.smarthome.com/4534W.HTML

Some rethinking of the module design is really in order at this point, too.

How about a module that can be placed into a 2-gang outlet alongside of another module? Right now, they're too wide to be placed two-wide. Trim them a bit.

Re-think the placement of the controlled outlet on the modules. Does it have to be on the bottom? Place it on the front with the "always on" outlet. Ring it in black or something for easy discernment (or just label it with the same words you do now). That way plugging it into the top of a standard outlet retains full outlet functionality: many of the new "flathead" cords can't be plugged into the controlled outlet on the bottom, and when doing a feel-around, you always know the orientation of the outlet.

The second item may allow you to flatten the profile by 20-25%, too. Combine that with "side-by-side-ability" and you have a slimmer and trimmer module with both plugs on the front that would partially mitigate the need for receptacles (and be easier for newbies and renters to install).

Byron
Go to Top of Page

Sub-Routine
Advanced Member

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  4:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sub-Routine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bcmayes

Some rethinking of the module design is really in order at this point, too.

How about a module that can be placed into a 2-gang outlet alongside of another module? Right now, they're too wide to be placed two-wide. Trim them a bit.

Re-think the placement of the controlled outlet on the modules. Does it have to be on the bottom? Place it on the front with the "always on" outlet. Ring it in black or something for easy discernment (or just label it with the same words you do now). That way plugging it into the top of a standard outlet retains full outlet functionality: many of the new "flathead" cords can't be plugged into the controlled outlet on the bottom, and when doing a feel-around, you always know the orientation of the outlet.

The second item may allow you to flatten the profile by 20-25%, too. Combine that with "side-by-side-ability" and you have a slimmer and trimmer module with both plugs on the front that would partially mitigate the need for receptacles (and be easier for newbies and renters to install).

Byron

Since you can stack Insteon units you don't always need to place them side by side, but I think it would be useful in many places.

One module, two plugs (three prongs) that fit right into a double receptacle, two three prong pass-throughs inline, perhaps twice as wide as a standard receptacle so two individual Insteon controlled receptacles would be on the far ends. Lamps normally use a two prong outlet so if the module would be slimmer that would be nice. I like the outlets on the ends in that case so the bed or couch can be closer to the wall.

Rand
Go to Top of Page

Jimmy

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2006 :  8:09:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Byron - Have you seen the PowerSquids? I love mine - I have 4 LampLincs plugged into one outlet that way. http://www.smarthome.com/4403.HTML

Rand - You might use caution stacking the units. The online user guide says they could overheat:
* Don’t stack LampLinc, ApplianceLinc, SignaLinc™ RF, or PowerLinc™ modules together by plugging
them into each other. Stacked modules may overheat and stop functioning.
Go to Top of Page

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  09:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy

Byron - Have you seen the PowerSquids? I love mine - I have 4 LampLincs plugged into one outlet that way. http://www.smarthome.com/4403.HTML

Yes, in fact I have one and won an auction for another. I have a set of electric candles on my tall dresser plugged into the squid which is plugged into an ApplianceLinc module. It's my one concession to "bachelorpad-ism."

But the spot I'm thinking of is my kitchen counter. Putting a squid behind a tall dresser is fine, but it would neither look right nor be an effective use of limited space out in plain view on the counter.

Another advantage to a slimmer trimmer module would be the ability to plug in "brick" plugs beside them. These things were meant to cover a single gang switch apparently. But a double gang plate is not twice the width of a single gang, so the current module encroaches on the space available in the other outlet pair.
Go to Top of Page

DennehyEnterprises
Average Member

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  3:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit DennehyEnterprises's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about bug free existing hardware and stable bug free SDM first before adding anything new.
Go to Top of Page

Quixote
Average Member

61 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  05:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really need switches that don't require a neutral wire running to the switch box -- only the hot and the load wire. None of my switch boxes have the neutral wire and I'm renting, so I'm not about to rip the place apart and rewire it or hire anyone to do that.

I really think you are losing a big chunk of the market by ignoring the people that don't live in new houses with perfect wiring. I'd probably be buying around 10 switches today if it wasn't for this shortcoming.

Thanks for listening to me whine. ;)
Go to Top of Page

DennehyEnterprises
Average Member

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  08:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit DennehyEnterprises's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about an Insteon signal analyzer.
Go to Top of Page

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  07:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sub-Routine

One module, two plugs (three prongs) that fit right into a double receptacle, two three prong pass-throughs inline, perhaps twice as wide as a standard receptacle so two individual Insteon controlled receptacles would be on the far ends...

Been thinking about this again. If Smarthome made one "double-wide" module, you'd be limited in what could go where. It'd have to be either a double dimmer or a double relay or one of each.

Thinking some more, that might not be a problem for some people, so the option would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

saltcedar
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  1:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something I've never seen requested on any forum...
A Timerlinc replacement. I must be the only one in
North America who purchase one.
Judging by the price anyway!
Still it's been a real workhorse and only lacked battery
backup for the clock/calandar.

Edited by - saltcedar on 09/29/2006 3:16:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  5:11:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see Insteon interface with the Sonos music system. I'd like to be able to push a button on my keypadlinc create triggering a scene and then have a preselected internet radio station or playlist play music on my Sonos sound system.
Go to Top of Page

Alexander

17 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  8:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
battery-powered RF motion detectors and door/window sensors, just like the X10 variants. Make sure to make the "off" command defeatable, or the state stored only in the detector, for correct integration with HA software.
Go to Top of Page

jtwolf76
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2006 :  05:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an Idea I don't know if it would be possible but a watch that has say two buttons that could be setup with insteon would be real nice to have just a couple for say garage door for those of us that ride bikes or lights from your wrist if you need them quickly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page