New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

stusviews

USA
10845 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2010 :  11:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nowandthen

I own a Victorian home. I would love to see a Switchlinc switch plate kit that resembles the very old style push button switches. It seems to me that this would be a fairly simple retro fit. Mother of pearl inlays on the buttons. The two black buttons need not actually push in, the rocker action of the current rocker switch would suffice. I wouldn't expect these to be as cheap as the color change kits but don't make them outrageous either.

Creating a plate that mimics the fantastic pearl insert on/black off push button switch would be a costly project. If not, the original switches would still easily be available. Two-hole switch plates, too.

But, I fully agree

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  6:38:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a device meets its maximum link capability it would be nice to know this information. I would suggest some sort of beeping / flashing pulsed code to inform the user.

Ideally, it would tell the user that he has just reached the max link. And future additional links will simply role over the oldest one.

This should be boldly listed in the documentation so those with extensive links would be aware.
Go to Top of Page

SteveDuff
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  12:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if it's been mentioned in any of the last 21 pages. But I'd like to see an updated, high-end Keypadlinc-type device.

This would be something in the $200+ range, a-la Crestron, Lutron, Elan, Control4, etc.

I'd envision a Decora or double-Decora device with a little cellphone-size touchscreen and a small 'flip' panel at the bottom with a USB port for menu/graphic programming, firmware updating, and any physical reset and control buttons.

Should be a phase-balanced dimmer rated to handle CFLs, magnetic loads and dimmable LEDs - incandescents are finally if slowly becoming yesterday's technology. Needs an integrated filterlinc to keep all that noise from backing into the line. A concurrent relay output would be nice, instead of a separate model.

Possibly a built-in monitor to view/report even time-plot the load's power consumption? Who knows: once you hook a controller to a touchscreen, anything's possible.
Go to Top of Page

heatvent
Average Member

65 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  12:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the first one has been asked for but:

* Ability to access 2420M's with software without putting it into link mode.
* Ability to poll 2420M's for luminescence and battery level values.
* Ability to have the 2420M motion sensor send an ON every time motion is sensed, regardless of the timeout setting. Or at least the ability to set the timeout to 0.
* Some kind of Insteon based RFID product that senses if an RFID tag is within range.

Edited by - heatvent on 01/08/2011 12:52:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  1:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heatvent

I'm sure the first one has been asked for but:

* Ability to access 2420M's with software without putting it into link mode.

HL2 already does this with existing devices. It simply waits for the next ON signal then starts updating device settings before the device's radio receiver goes back to sleep.

quote:

* Ability to poll 2420M's for luminescence and battery level values.

HL2 already does this when the device transmits an ON signal. Because the device is battery-operated and puts the receiver into sleep mode automatically to extend battery life, you have to wait for the receiver to turn back on when the device sends another signal to query it.

quote:

* Ability to have the 2420M motion sensor send an ON every time motion is sensed, regardless of the timeout setting. Or at least the ability to set the timeout to 0.

They've been able to do that for a while using 'occupancy mode'. Be sure to use a plug-in power supply or be prepared to change batteries more often.

quote:

* Some kind of Insteon based RFID product that senses if an RFID tag is within range.

That wouldn't be possible with a battery-operated device, it would have to be a line-powered unit designed from the ground up to incorporate different radio hardware. It's certainly doable, it just wouldn't be a weekend project. I know I'd buy one.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

heatvent
Average Member

65 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  1:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tfitzpatri8, do you know if these capabilities (accessing without link mode, polling lum., etc.) are doable outside of HL2 with another software? Is SH just now sharing how to do this?

Is occupancy mode accessable outside of HL2? I use HomeSeer and perhaps the plugin programmer would be willing to change or make this programable with his plugin.

On the RFID, I guess I am thinking Insteon uses RF. You would need a small device that sends a heartbeat signal of sorts (maybe not the normal Insteon protocol, just hey I'm here XX.XX.XX every 2 seconds). I use an active RFID product you can buy off eBay that runs for up to 3 years of a couple of CR2032 batteries. It may be the current access points wouldn't know what to do with such a signal so you would have to send an Insteon command of sorts or have a device that does receive the signal and passes a command via powerline.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  3:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any registered developer ought to have access to the same commands. I haven't purchased access to the Developer's Group, so I don't know when new features and appropriate messages to access them were announced. You'd need to check with the developer of your program to see which version of his app supports which device features or any plans to add capabilities.

Go to Top of Page

ih574

18 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  06:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit ih574's Homepage  Reply with Quote
- Ability to decouple KeypadLinc button control (a press) from the same button's responder (LED).

Allows one button to control something with the button's responder LED independently controlled by the thing controlled instead of the push of the button. True closed loop feedback.

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7671

Regards,

Tom C.
Go to Top of Page

Avonlea22

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2011 :  4:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jayrodo

I would like to see a few things:

1. Fanlinc - It seems this has been requested for the last 4 years, other manufactures have them, but there is no support for Insteon. I have a single switch to control the fan/light control now. I would like to see the Insteon device be able to control both the light and fan independently from a single switch.

Yes! Please!
Any news on this? Is this being developed?
Go to Top of Page

Avonlea22

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  4:08:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it's been suggested, but a GFCI OutletLinc would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

dxp232

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  4:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see an outlet (or OutletLinc) with the same filtering built in as a FilterLinc so i don't have to put bulky filters on my outlets...
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2011 :  9:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dxp232

I would love to see an outlet (or OutletLinc) with the same filtering built in as a FilterLinc so i don't have to put bulky filters on my outlets...

That is a great idea. I would order one for sure.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

yardbird
Average Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see a tabletop lamplinc. The new Lamplinc dual band styling is much more conducive to this option than the older, bulkier style. Having control at the module is pretty useless if the module is plugged in behind an armoire, a dresser, a couch, etc.

Removing the male plug prongs from the back and using about a 6ft lamp cord coming out of (what would now be) the "top" (when plugged into an outlet) would result in a table top module with controls at the lamp.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yardbird

I would like to see a tabletop lamplinc. The new Lamplinc dual band styling is much more conducive to this option than the older, bulkier style. Having control at the module is pretty useless if the module is plugged in behind an armoire, a dresser, a couch, etc.

Removing the male plug prongs from the back and using about a 6ft lamp cord coming out of (what would now be) the "top" (when plugged into an outlet) would result in a table top module with controls at the lamp.

I like it. For a cleaner install, perhaps they could base it on a remote extension cord using a three-wire cord and a pass-through plug & outlet (like a Woods 359W) and relocate the controls to the front.

Go to Top of Page

yardbird
Average Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

quote:
Originally posted by yardbird

I like it. For a cleaner install, perhaps they could base it on a remote extension cord using a three-wire cord and a pass-through plug & outlet (like a Woods 359W) and relocate the controls to the front.

I wouldn't disagree with having the controls on the front. I was thinking for the sake of the fewest modifications to an existing item, simply adding the cord and removing the prongs would mean not having to redesign the entire insides, they'd just use a different out shell with the prong holes gone and an exit for the cord. This would put the controls on the side when the unit is sitting on a table top which, if you think about it, may not be such a bad idea either as it would not be subject to things being set on it.
Go to Top of Page

automator
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2011 :  3:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More of a general functionality request than a product request.

A SwitchLinc dimmer or relay seems to be comprised of two basic parts; a controller and a responder. What I would like is the ability to interface with these two components independent of one another. For instance, if I have two SwitchLinc dimmers I would like to be able to have the paddle on one control ONLY the dimming function on the other, and vice-versa. This differs from the current functionality, where there is no way to de-couple the local toggle from the dimmer in the same unit.
Go to Top of Page

traviskleckner

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  12:08:25 PM  Show Profile  Send traviskleckner an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second the KPL with a blinking option. Personally, even better for me would be an additional option to remove the local control for a KPL button.

I'm doing the same thing as the previous poster...I've got a KPL linked to the status of the garage door. For safety I do not allow the KPL to actually close the door so there is never any reason to change the status from the KPL. If I could have a blinking light when it's open that would be perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2011 :  12:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Travis, if they don't go for it, have you tried using the red filter on the garage button?

If you don't want keypad users to be able to close the garage or turn off the indicator when the garage is still open, don't forget to program that button for non-toggle On mode.

Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:52:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I could use a couple Dual-Band ApplianceLincs if they were to be introduced.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10845 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  11:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A FanLinc that breaks traditional thinking about fans and brings it from what they/I thought to what we/I do.

Off-On-Full

On, of course, is user programmable from among only low or medium, not a continuum-considering control of a multitude of user fans.

Go to Top of Page

sanders2222

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  7:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit sanders2222's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if there was an Insteon Line Voltage Thermostat (LVT). My tile floor has a LVT and I'm connecting a In-LineLinc relay between that and the floor. This gives me some control (e.g. ON/OFF) but it would be nice to be able to control or set the temperature as well.
Go to Top of Page

kipplitz
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  9:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see it mentioned a few times and I will add my vote as well...need, Need, NEED a "Fanlinc" which would allow Off, High, Medium, Low selection. Would be nice if the speeds (high, medium, low) where adjustable but I would settle for fixed. In my previous home I used Lightolier fan controllers and they were fantastic. I would take that exact device with Insteon control and be very happy. Add more features and it is just gravy!
Go to Top of Page

snewman

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2011 :  5:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipplitz

I see it mentioned a few times and I will add my vote as well...need, Need, NEED a "Fanlinc" which would allow Off, High, Medium, Low selection. Would be nice if the speeds (high, medium, low) where adjustable but I would settle for fixed. In my previous home I used Lightolier fan controllers and they were fantastic. I would take that exact device with Insteon control and be very happy. Add more features and it is just gravy!

I'm +1 on being able to control the speed of a ceiling fan. (Off-Low-Medium-High would be perfect)
Go to Top of Page

jerlands

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  11:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12 zone EZFlora!

I need more zones!
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4355 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  11:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EZFlora is a Simplehomenet product.
You should ask them about it.
http://www.simplehomenet.com/forum/index.php
http://www.simplehomenet.com/default.asp
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10845 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like a two-gang Tabletop enclosure.

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2011 :  1:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

I'd like a two-gang Tabletop enclosure.

That'd be nice for those locations where a touch screen controller is too much but 8 control buttons/status lights is too few.

Go to Top of Page

jspilon

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2011 :  9:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 on line voltage t-stats
Go to Top of Page

rcwagner
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A redesign of the basic plug in module so that the LED is above the SET button.

With the current design, when the module is plugged in and you het the SET switch, you can't see the LED light. It's usually blocked by your hand!
Go to Top of Page

yardbird
Average Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  06:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like blank button sets in colors other than white. (I use Ivory)
No design work needed. Just packaging. They already have blank buttons for custom etching. Just package them with a frame.

Why?

NONE of my conventional paddle switches used throughout my home have any label on them at all. If I install a 6-button KPL (for example) to replace the light switch for my screen porch, I'm OK with the "On" and "Off", but those other 4 buttons may not be linked to scenes at all. They may be linked to the interior lights of my detached workshop, or some lighting in the adjacent dining room or kitchen. Having them blank while we decide what we are linking to is actually preferable to having them labeled as "Scene A" and Scene B" etc.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page