Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

spyboy
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a multi port powerstrip (PowerstripLinc?) so you can plug multiple lights or whatever into it, yet control each port independently (and all of the smarts are in the strip)
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  11:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spyboy

How about a multi port powerstrip (PowerstripLinc?) so you can plug multiple lights or whatever into it, yet control each port independently (and all of the smarts are in the strip)

I would buy at least three of those. Way better than having a powerstrip covered in plug-in modules.

I'd suggest having one or two "always on" outlets in addition to the controlled ones.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

Fraser
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  3:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spyboy

That would be great and I would buy 4-5 of them.
Having a separate button for each controled outlet and enough
separation between them for plug packs would be good.
Go to Top of Page

instaman
Average Member

149 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  03:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would be really nice to add these two features to HL2.

1. Be able to choose to send a text message and/or email when an trigger occurs. I'm aware of the email part already, but everybody doesn't have web access on their phones. Would also be nice to tie this in to the second request below too.

2.Be able to use on/off status' of switches as a condition. Would allow a person to start/stop a clock trigger or some event (texting and/or email) without having to go to the computer and place a check mark inside the event box every time they wanted to activate/deactivate a time clock event or etc.

Believe that would increase the range of people interested in simple home automation software if they so desired it.
Go to Top of Page

diar

53 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  3:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 4 button keypad under the ICON brand at a good price would be nice ON + OFF + 2 more. A garage kit for more than just one door, a kit that drives 2 or 3 with sensors would be ideal.
Go to Top of Page

davegidd
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2009 :  3:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bring back X-10 scene capability that was removed with revision 5.2+ in the ON/OFF switches and in-line modules!!
Go to Top of Page

instaman
Average Member

149 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  01:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Super cool if SmartLinc could implement some email type protocols in it's operating system. Something like, being able to send an email message when a particular SwitchLinc, KeypadLinc button or TriggerLinc was activated. Super cool possibilities from this one! I have a Panasonic IP camera that does this quite well when motion is detected, so I figured it would be easy to do for the Smartlinc since the IP protocols are already their.

BTW, the new upgraded Rev.2 SmartLinc does a terrific job!
Go to Top of Page

kurelgyer

38 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  09:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Smarthome is working with Kwikset to develop an Insteon controllable keypad motorized deadbolt. The press releases note zigbee, Z-Wave and "other emerging home control technologies".

Google "Kwikset Smart Code with Home Connect".
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8282 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  11:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insteon-controlled locks are available now from a different partner. See http://www.smarthome.com/24950B2/I-O-Linc-INSTEON-Morning-Industry-Lock-Control-Kit/p.aspx , http://www.smarthome.com/51892AB/3-in-1-Keyless-Entry-Deadbolt-With-RF-Remote-Control-Touchpad-Lockset-Antique-Brass-QF-01AQ/p.aspx , http://www.smarthome.com/51890/RF-Remote-Controlled-Keyless-Entry-Deadbolt-Brass-RF-01P/p.aspx , http://www.smarthome.com/images/51891nside1big.jpg

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2009 :  11:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks interesting. This one doesn't look like "Oil rubbed bronze" to me though. Looks like copper:
http://www.smarthome.com/51892OB/3-in-1-Keyless-Entry-Deadbolt-With-RF-Remote-Control-Touchpad-Lockset-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-QF-01OB/p.aspx
Go to Top of Page

AD8BC

309 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  06:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if Smarthome could develop some Insteon devices without relying on the IOLinc. Don't get me wrong, I do like the IOLinc. But wiring an RF Keyfob to two separate IOLincs to control a lock just seems klunky to me... A nice self contained plug-in unit with the wireless interface would be a better start. But I would really appreciate the ability to monitor the position of the lock as well.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  07:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

The mercury switch idea is already available--just add a motion sensing switch to the TriggerLinc. No soldering required, screw terminals are built in.

No Tom, it's not available. What you propose is a hack. Expensive, big (assuming you put both in a box), or tricky to install in mailboxes, etc (assuming you use a 2-piece solution). I also didn't see anything in the Triggerlinc webpage about screw terminals although I'll take your word for it.

I agree that with enough money and time I could build abominations to provide many unavailable Insteon functions (for example, with an I/O linc and an external multi-tone generator I could probably build an enunciator), but that's not the point of this thread is it?

The integrated mercury switch sensor I suggested is NOT "available", and it's wrong for you to say so. Again, I have pretty much given up trying to post suggestions because of your inclination to either hide them, or "close them out". Wish I understood why you are so against this sort of discussion.

/j

(ps - if you think I'm crazy - here's another example

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=5721

)

Edited by - jeffw_00 on 10/30/2009 07:44:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  08:08:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can confirm that the Triggerlinc does in fact have two screw terminals. They are on the inside of the unit. I haven't gotten around to using them though I've been meaning to. (Actually I was going to add a plug like the one on the IOLinc, since my sensors are very modular.)

I really like the flexibility of the IOLinc and Triggerlinc, they are indispensable for what I am doing, but I have to agree some of the IOLinc kits are a bit kludgy. The lock control being an extreme example. Any time you need two IOLincs for one application that seems like it could be streamlined. And batteries for a permanent installation? Surely there is a better way.

Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  11:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they recently rolled out a battery eliminator and recommend it for the motion sensor - maybe that can be used elsewhere?

http://www.smarthome.com/78540/Plug-In-9-Volt-Power-Supply-Battery-Eliminator-9V-ADAPTER/p.aspx
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  11:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find IOLInc and TriggerLinc pricey to be just the -start- of implementing a function. I have 6 $20 X-10 chime modules around my house. To put together something to replace them as Tom suggests (I/O or TriggerLinc + actual tone generator) would be > $300. Tom can afford this for an incremental upgrade but I can't. That's why I was suggesting a dedicated enunciator, and a dedicated tilt-sensor (mercury switch). The Enunciator, with a built-in pizeo-electric sounder, should be no more expensive than an ICON module, and the tilt-sensor should cost/sell for the same as the motion sensor. At $25-$30 a whack, I'd replace my Chimes with multi-tone enunciators. and at $35-$40 a whack, I'd replace my standalone mailbox and garage-door sensors with tilt-sensors, and then my whole house would be integrated on X-10.

I sure wish Tom would let me post a thread to discuss this. 8-{
/j
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  6:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kurelgyer

Hopefully Smarthome is working with Kwikset to develop an Insteon controllable keypad motorized deadbolt. The press releases note zigbee, Z-Wave and "other emerging home control technologies".

Google "Kwikset Smart Code with Home Connect".

I was hoping for an Insteon compatible Schlage lock, but Schlage went with Z-Wave

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  7:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw_00

quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

The mercury switch idea is already available--just add a motion sensing switch to the TriggerLinc. No soldering required, screw terminals are built in.

No Tom, it's not available.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=060-852

Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2009 :  7:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree on the chime modules. I have a bunch of the X10 ones, too, had to get an X10 signal bridge just for them.

For the tilt switch take the TriggerLinc, wire a tilt sensor like http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16877 into the two screw terminals, you might even be able to fit it inside the TriggerLinc housing. Hardware is done. Total cost $34.99 for the TriggerLinc, $1.49 for the sensor, plus shipping.

Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2009 :  05:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again - I'm sure there are all kinds of hacks you can built with a general-purpose module and external hardware. But that doesn't mean INSTEON "supports" the function with an integrated module.

Otherwise, all INSTEON would have to do is bring out a module (well 2, one wireless) with a sensor and a relay and they could say they support, well, almost -anything-. This IS the "new module idea" thread, isn't it? 8-]

Triggerlinc + sensor is a bit big to fit on my mailbox door, and anyway, I don't have the enunciator module which is the other part of the equation. (again, I'd like to integrate my mailbox and garage door sensors into my INSTEON system - need the sensor AND the enunciator).

Edited by - jeffw_00 on 11/02/2009 05:41:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

kalisphoenix
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  11:53:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I registered, logged in, and came to this thread to post what I've been dispiritedly seeking for the past couple of days:

I'd really like to see a device that plugs in, is about the size of of the X10 chime, and plays user-specified audio files (stored on the device, natch, and transferred via USB or through an SD card).

It'd be wonderful to have a little configurable chime that could accept signals from the INSTEON stuff I have (thermostat, security system, SmartLinc, etc etc ad nauseum) and just politely let me know if a condition has been matched.

Just as an example, my wife and I are expecting our first child in a couple of months. Although it's some years off, I know the little guy's going to start leaving his room in the middle of the night, and it'd be nice to know he's wandering around. And, as jeffw_00 mentioned, there are many other applications.

Just adding my voice.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  12:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be happy with a number of pre-programmed tone patterns. This is likely to be a lot louder (and MUCH CHEAPER to implement), than audio files.
Go to Top of Page

kalisphoenix
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  04:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd be happy with a number of pre-programmed tone patterns. This is likely to be a lot louder (and MUCH CHEAPER to implement), than audio files.

Yeah, to be sure, and I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion (which I intended to second in my post, but apparently did not).

But holy Jesus, I really don't want to hear "Westminster" ever again, certainly not at 3AM.

I'm fine with bleeps and bloops throughout the house for general things, and if that means an INSTEON chime can be built quicker and for the price of the X10 chimes I've already bought that's great... but what I'm asking for is a nicer piece of kit because I want it to be nicer.

If you Google, you can find cheap mp3/wma players (that are basically glorified flash drives) with some unnecessary functionality (voice recording, FM reception, LCD screen, battery) for under $30. If you assume that Smarthome can make an AC-powered mp3 player with some ridiculously small (32MB?) amount of memory for about $20 (and I assume it would be significantly less than that), adding the cost of it onto what is essentially the old X10 chime sold in the Smarthome store still results in a cost of only about $40 before profit.

Toss in a headphone jack to make the end user responsible for sound quality (there are plenty of iPod-inspired headphone jack speakers that would fit snugly to the device). Require that files be named 01,02,03...32 or whatever for ease of configuration. Use a dimmer-like interface to control volume and a switch to control how much of a given file will be played.

I mean, it's not for listening purposes and doesn't have to sound great. It's just a higher quality chime that won't make me **** blood when I hear it And the ability to specify audio files instead of sequences of bleeps and bloops means I can actually understand what the heck is going on. For instance, if my mom comes to visit, I'll know because it plays the theme from Halloween, not because I've memorized the associated morse code.

I'd cheerfully pay $60-75 for such a device, more if they cleverly enhanced it with functionality I didn't mention here. And I'm pretty sure I'd buy more than one.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  06:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not a bad idea, and if you assume an external speaker might be doable. But the external speaker does add cost. I have 6 chime modules in my house and if I had to replace them for like $80 a piece ($60 for the module plus $20 for the speaker) that might be a non-starter. If they did "bleeps and bloops" for $29.99 - that would be a winner to me.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  06:53:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd be in for either. Something that you could put your own sound effects into could be fun, especially for Halloween...

Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  06:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still, I have to wonder if SH will see our comments at the end of this 18-screen thread. I tried to start a separate thread on the topic a while ago, but it was shut down as "inappropriate". go figure 8-}
/j
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  08:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, a chime module was actually suggested back in 2006... as well as fan control. They definitely know, but it's a different question where it is on the priority list. On the other hand the last time I see a SmartHome staff person posting in this thread is page 14 (2008).

On the other hand, even just looking through the first two pages of this thread I see a lot of requests have been implemented now. Maybe they would have existed anyway, maybe not.

Go to Top of Page

kalisphoenix
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  09:22:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's not a bad idea, and if you assume an external speaker might be doable. But the external speaker does add cost. I have 6 chime modules in my house and if I had to replace them for like $80 a piece ($60 for the module plus $20 for the speaker) that might be a non-starter. If they did "bleeps and bloops" for $29.99 - that would be a winner to me.

I posted this immediately before going to bed last night, and it struck me as I drifted off to sleep that speakers of the type used by cell phones that support mp3 ringtones should be quite sufficient. I'm not sure how much they cost, but certainly less than $20. Either with or without a headphone jack in addition to that little speaker could work.

quote:
Originally posted by jdale

I'd be in for either. Something that you could put your own sound effects into could be fun, especially for Halloween...

What jeffw_00 suggested should absolutely positively without a doubt exist, and if SH isn't working on it right now, well, a pox on their firstborn and all that. It's basically just an improved INSTEON version of the X10 chimes already for sale.

I think they could coexist quite well. Have a TuneLinc and a TuneLinc+ or something.

quote:

Still, I have to wonder if SH will see our comments at the end of this 18-screen thread. I tried to start a separate thread on the topic a while ago, but it was shut down as "inappropriate". go figure 8-}

I was intending to use the direct link (http://www.smarthome.com/suggestproduct.asp) anyway when I thought I had the idea ironed out . I'm sure at least a couple of the engineers are subscribed to this thread.

Edited by - kalisphoenix on 12/03/2009 09:23:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

AD8BC

309 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  1:17:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff brings up multiple good points.

The IOLinc is a nice device, sure. I have one monitoring and controlling my garage door. I don't consider that a kludge. However, when you put together a kit that takes two separate IOLincs (the lock kit http://www.smarthome.com/24950B2/I-O-Linc-INSTEON-Morning-Industry-Lock-Control-Kit/p.aspx) this is not only a kludge, it's an abomonation. Two separate modules wired into a battery operated keyfob. Nice.

I will give SH the benefit of a doubt. I know that there are all sorts of requested Insteon devices. Sounders and fan controllers and door locks and such. It sounds easy to make them but SH has their own worries, patent issues, R&D costs, etc. They are trying to please many, to be sure, with these kits. But, quite frankly, if I wanted to bad enough, I could use a SimpleHomeNet device (more expensive but much more flexible with multiple IO points and such) and kludge my own stuff together. Haven't had a need to yet though. But I only have a single garage door to monitor and control. If Smarthome really wants to make these custom kits they need to come out with a multi-IO module. Or just include the SimpleHomeNet stuff instead.

I could probably take one of those SerialLincs and hook it up to an Arduino http://www.arduino.cc and interface that to an audio board http://www.ladyada.net/make/waveshield/ and make a beautiful audio enunciator. I just don't have that kind of time. But it sounds neat. It would be cool if somebody would make an Insteon shield for an Arduino board. Imagine the fun you could have with that! I would be kludgy but not as much as the door lock unit does!

I like to think that Smarthome is working on the Insteon reliability issues with the dual-band stuff. When that phase is over with, maybe we will see some more wireless stuff. I don't think that the fan controls are too far off. There is an obvious demand, there are many manufacturers of wireless fan controls (Hunter and Lutron come to mind) that use a small canopy module, so the technology is there. God help Smarthome if they take an off the shelf remote fan control kit and tie in four IOlincs into the hand-held controller... But that is what would make my install complete. A three speed fan canopy module with light dimmer (with a little beeper perhaps that beeps on a speed change because it's hard to blindly adjust a fan speed among set speeds with only an up or down button). One beep=low, two beeps=med, etc. An optional special KPL in a 6 button config with the four middle buttons for fan off, low, med, and high. That would make many users really happy.

For Jeff, I think the Triggerlinc would make an ideal mailbox sensor using the externally mounted tilt switch. The actual TriggerLinc could mount under the mailbox, or in a small enclosure on the post. I think that's an ideal situation for the Triggerlinc, it's similar to one of my wireless Ademco door alarm sensors -- built in magnet switch but provisions for a wire-in external sensor. I don't think Smarthome should be expected to make a dedicated mailbox sensor.

But the IOlinc kits are kludgy.
Go to Top of Page

diar

53 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2009 :  09:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiding the LED in the Icon switch lineup behind the clear air-gap would allow the frame to be even on both sides.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  6:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Waterproof (outdoor) TriggerLinc

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page