New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

stusviews

USA
10845 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  7:12:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kd5crs

I've got a super simple one, you've already done all the hard parts!

Take your TriggerLinc. Hook up a button instead of the magnet switch. Close the contact (push the button) to send an on/off toggle. Put it in a pretty plastic housing. For bonus points, make it look like a Switchlinc as much as possible.

Ta-daa, Insteon wireless wall switch. I would buy several of those. Who doesn't have a room which needs a better positioned wall switch? It would let me ditch my KR15a's (the X-10 Big Red Buttons).

Great idea!!! You would need to use an ON/OFF type switch. A momentary contact button won't work.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

klampo
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  10:46:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see and RF only non AC 9-18 volt I/O device. I have a few projects that run on micro controllers that I would like to integrate into a connected home.

A device like this can allow for integration of robotic devices into the home. Things like the Rovio are a step, but an API and a RF module to interface can allow developments to blossom.

Captain Kevin Lampo
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  8:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a multi-pattern enunciator..

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=5721#27538
Go to Top of Page

cruzan
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  07:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

How about adding a Schlage-style lock with Insteon control? The magnet lock looks like it would add an ugly box to the side of my door. The Schlage lock/keypad/door handle looks really nice, and they have a rep for being sturdy. It's really unfortunate that Schlage decided to go with Z-Wave control AND they have a mandatory $12.99 per month subscription for the lock to work. Bad karma.

Go to Top of Page

crass11
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2009 :  7:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please design future switches with a smaller circuitry footprint (i.e. back of switch)

I have a newly built home and a lot of new construction utilizes gang boxes with mud plates. Installing current switches into 2 switch gang boxes with mud plates is impossible! The plastic houseing/circuitry of the switches is too wide compared to standard switches for which the gang boxes are designed, the rounded corners of the mud plates make the Insteon switches not fit.

I've had to use a drimmel to modify my 2 switch gang boxes to fit (Grind and cut through corners... talk about a pain, added hours and hours and hours to my installation of over 60 devices.
Go to Top of Page

Oztronix
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  5:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by devon

Combination ToggleLinc and Motion detector. We have these at the office (just not X10/INSTEON) - a small motion detector is placed just above or below the actual switch. It could be powered without batteries and either control the switch directly, or be used in other procedures.

I think this is a more appealing solution compared to mounting a separate module, having to maintain it with new batteries, and requiring RF access points.

I 2nd that idea. They could be used in bathrooms, kitchens, garages, closets etc., I would buy 6 right away!

Oz
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  5:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oztronix

quote:

Combination ToggleLinc and Motion detector. We have these at the office (just not X10/INSTEON) - a small motion detector is placed just above or below the actual switch. It could be powered without batteries and either control the switch directly, or be used in other procedures.

I think this is a more appealing solution compared to mounting a separate module, having to maintain it with new batteries, and requiring RF access points.

I 2nd that idea. They could be used in bathrooms, kitchens, garages, closets etc., I would buy 6 right away!

Yet another solution... if you put a 2 gang box in the wall, you can use one of the new SwitchLinc Relay with Sense next to a 110 volt motion sensor switch and let the motion turn the SwitchLinc on and off.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Oztronix
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  6:31:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2420M motion sensor sends 3 output signals, 1)motion detect 2)low battery 3)dusk/dawn.

I would like to see motion trigger 2 RF outputs instead of just the one. 1 output could be configured day and night or just night (like it can be now) while the other output would trigger day and night. This would allow you to link the night only output directly to control lights with no delay turn on caused by programs and the other output could be linked to an annunciation device directly no delay as well. This way the lights will only turn on with motion at night, and you could also have the annunciation device trigger day and night. Even if an annunciation device isn’t used, that RF output could be used in programs for day/night occupancy etc.

I would also like to see more darkness range on the dawn/dusk sensor. With it adjusted all the way to the “dark” setting it is still too light to have the lamps turn on.

Oz
Go to Top of Page

Oztronix
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  6:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

quote:
Originally posted by Oztronix

quote:

Yet another solution... if you put a 2 gang box in the wall, you can use one of the new SwitchLinc Relay with Sense next to a 110 volt motion sensor switch and let the motion turn the SwitchLinc on and off.

True, in a new construction it would be easy to put a 2 gang box in.

But all of the in-wall motion sensor switches I have used have been triac based output which means that without a load connected to the switch, the load output of the switch has voltage on it. Wouldn’t that interfere with the sens. wire of the SwitchLink relay?

Oz
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  04:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jill76

quote:
Originally posted by toddbailey

I like them to design a module that actually outlives it's warranty, case in point wall dimmer modules that fail 1 to 2 years after installation.

8 dead and counting... all less than 3 years old.

yeah, me too.

Wow, deja vu. I had to look back a ways, but I finally found the original message. To provide some context, it was from nearly 2 years ago, on page 10 of this now 17 page thread. He posted twice and never came back.

(Since then, SmartLabs announced that they'd identified a problem with microswitches used in some early SwitchLinc production, they extended the warranty to cover the issue, and they've been replacing affected switches for free.)

Go to Top of Page

klundy
Average Member

99 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  12:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) two load, two wire fan control. Seems to be the single most common request in this thread. Concord Fans has one that will also handle up and down lights. SH is selling the "Thermostatic Ceiling Fan" control, so they are half way there. I'd buy 3 immediately. Up to 6 depending on price.

2) Outdoor devices so we don't have to fabricate our own weather boxes for lamplincs.

3) Interface to Homelink built into so many cars now.

4) Maybe a multi-load switch to make it easier to put multiple switches in one box. I've got a triple gang box where with 2 devices already, I'm not sure I can fit a 3rd. Of course, if they come out with "FanLinc" from item 1 above, I'll find a way.

5) Much cheaper option for KPL labels such as common (kitchen, bedroom, den) etches. Or maybe a silkscreened option for customization which might be cheaper. The current out of the box keys seem to be just printed - I erased one pretty easy.

6) A cheaper switch for creating virtual 3-4 way circuits. Maybe the non-load switches could have less memory for less links.

7) Either an interface to pool control systems, or a dedicated pool control. I know I can probably piece it together with the 220v switch and some I/O lincs and 24v power supplies for valves. But then see the above about external devices.

8) Kit options that don't always include access points.

9) Ability to blink a KPL button light. (that may be there in some of the software available, I haven't looked yet). For example, I'd rather have the button I have responding to the garage door blink than just come on.

10) Ceiling fan

11) Did I already say Ceiling fan?

12) Just in case I forgot to mention it - Ceiling Fan!

13) On a remotelinc, ability to remove an item from "All On". For example I have a device on button 6 that I don't want to come on if I press "All On"

Kevin

Edited by - klundy on 06/20/2009 05:28:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

mseifert
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  6:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

quote:
Originally posted by Jill76

quote:
Originally posted by toddbailey

I like them to design a module that actually outlives it's warranty, case in point wall dimmer modules that fail 1 to 2 years after installation.

8 dead and counting... all less than 3 years old.

yeah, me too.

Wow, deja vu. I had to look back a ways, but I finally found the original message. To provide some context, it was from nearly 2 years ago, on page 10 of this now 17 page thread. He posted twice and never came back.

(Since then, SmartLabs announced that they'd identified a problem with microswitches used in some early SwitchLinc production, they extended the warranty to cover the issue, and they've been replacing affected switches for free.)

I installed 40+ Insteon switches back in early 2006. I have replaced maybe 15 so far. But some I have had to replace more than once! I've got more that are broken (keypad won't respond) and haven't worked all winter. Needless to say I (and my wife!) have gotten really tired of this.

Well I'm ready to replace flaky older switches with the newer revisions that have the keypress bug fixed.

Does anyone know which versions of these products fixed the keypress bug and are now reliable switches?

I have models:
2486D (KeypadLinc V2)
2476D (SwitchLinc V2 - 600w)
2476DH (SwitchLinc V2 - 1000w)
2876DB (ICON In-Wall Dimmer)
2476S (SwitchLinc Relay)

Where can I find this info out?

Michael

Edited by - mseifert on 06/19/2009 7:02:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  6:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call tech support, the number is on your QuickStart guides.

Go to Top of Page

mseifert
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  7:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a bit more research in the forum, it appears it is v3.2 which fixed the SwitchLinc keypress problem. Yes I can call tech support, but based on what I have read, they may not be the most forthcoming with acknowledging revision changes. The user community seems to sometimes be a better source of info.
Go to Top of Page

kyeck
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  6:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hardware:
1) FanLinc -- with variable or 3-speed control.
2) For devices that plug-in: Allow the 3-prongs to swivel -- so you can use both outlets or swivel them out of the way in tight spots.

Software:
1) HouseLinc2-like Add-in for Windows Home Server (eg. HP EX485).

Thanks,
-Ken

-Ken

West Covina, CA
Go to Top of Page

Falco
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  03:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by klundy

7) Either an interface to pool control systems, or a dedicated pool control. I know I can probably piece it together with the 220v switch and some I/O lincs and 24v power supplies for valves. But then see the above about external devices.

I've got a working solution with a ComPool System, using the EZIO8SA.
I'll post up a guide in a bit, showing what was done. In a nutshell you use the relays on the EZIO, to close the highvoltage relays. (IE: The EZIO stays inside the low voltage side of the box. You then use the inputs if you have say the spa side remote control. You can get fancy with the analog input and the water temperature sensor, to blink lights when the water reaches >90 (Spas ready =)

One thing I would LOVE to see.
a way through smarthome, to purchase "whole house insurance" through $x.xx a month get total coverage on your Insteon devices, so that if one breaks at any time, your covered. As I would want the peace of mind of not having to remember which unit is still under warranty or not.

More of an "in the future idea"
Load sensing units. Ability to get a baseline of what each module will draw, when it drops, you can get a message letting you know a light bulb has burnt out. Don't know how much value that would have vs. cost, but thought I'd throw that out there.

my 2cents
Go to Top of Page

mpopps
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  07:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calox

What Insteon products are forum users waiting for?

I know that I have a a handful, but I'd like to see what other forum users are thinking. Here's my list:

- Wireless/Wired Motion Detectors
- Wireless Remotes
- Thermostats
- Plug-in Modules (i.e. "Socket Rockets")
- Security Cameras

I want an e-mail alert. Forget the telephone alert - send me an e-mail.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2009 :  07:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mpopps

I want an e-mail alert. Forget the telephone alert - send me an e-mail.

Several options already exist, everything from Premise or Powerhome or HAL or Girder software to any of the ISY stand-alone controllers. All of them support conditional event processing and email notifications.

Go to Top of Page

instaman
Average Member

149 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  07:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's to another bump and finger-crossing for that FanLinc to be put out soon as possible.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1113 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  08:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now, i you want to notify everyone in your home of an event (doorbell ringing, driveway sensor activated, motion sensor activated, etc), the only choice out there is the old X-10 Chime (limited), or rolling your own with an IOLinc (lots of work, lots of cost).

How about an Insteon Module that can generate 2 tones, and, based on different command (or brightness settings, etc), could emit those tones in a variety of patterns.

da-dum-da-dum-dum-da (current X-10 chime pattern)
da-da-da-dum-dum
daaaa-daaaa
dum-dum-dum

you get the idea, you could make a number of VERY distinct patterns.

How would I use them? I'd buy 4-5 to spread around my house (yes, they'd sell a LOT of these), and use them to indicate things like
1) driveway sensor went off
2) doorbell went off
3) motion sensor (for certain zone) went off.
4) it's a certain time of day
5) failure detected in home control system
6) VM message waiting

NOW - let's add to this another simple module. A module like the motion sensor (small, battery-powered, RF transmitter), that just contains a mercury switch that senses when the unit is tipped 90 degrees.

Combined with the ennunciator you now have
a) mailbox sensor
b) garage-door-open sensor

Right now, I have standalone mailbox sensor, garage-door-open sensor, and driveway sensor (a lot of people have at least one of these, I think) - wouldn't it be great to integrate with INSTEON system?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  1:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mercury switch idea is already available--just add a motion sensing switch to the TriggerLinc. No soldering required, screw terminals are built in.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10845 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  6:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw_00

Right now, i you want to notify everyone in your home of an event (doorbell ringing, driveway sensor activated, motion sensor activated, etc), the only choice out there is the old X-10 Chime (limited), or rolling your own with an IOLinc (lots of work, lots of cost).

How about an Insteon Module that can generate 2 tones, and, based on different command (or brightness settings, etc), could emit those tones in a variety of patterns.

A multi-tone chime module is a great idea. Add audio upload capability, too

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8263 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  7:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Audio upload capability, or maybe even a microphone so you could record voice or music announcements.

Go to Top of Page

diar

53 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  4:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd like to see an insteon capable strap on energy use, on the meter, that sends an update every 30 seconds to a smarlinc or similar and a signalinc that reports back voltage on each phase and line quality. Egro, id like a dataloging like setup. Oh and multiple room thermometers too! What's a smart home if it doesnt know what is going in or out and at what temp?
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2009 :  09:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Second on the thermometers. Unlike X10, there is plenty of bandwidth to send an actual temperature in a standard Insteon message, just make it C2. Support both polling the temperature directly (probably command 4A, "Get Sensor Value) and then also have the option of setting a trigger condition which could be linked to turn something on/off when the temperature is above/below a certain point.

And make it suitable for use outdoors. For controlling fans, etc it makes sense to check whether the temp is warmer or cooler outside vs inside.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

diar

53 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  08:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miele makes high end flush mount fridges. Their whole line, has an ethernet port that will contact Miele if there is a problem with the unit. Certainly an insteon plug in unit, like a filterlinc type housing with 2 wireless temp units could update a smartlinc or the like of its condition. Proper temperature is obligatory in the food service industry. Just a thought.

My desire for the insteon capable energy use meter idea would be for insteon to jump on the "smart-grid" bandwagon. Several power companies have deployed pilot programs that allow homeowners to monitor actual power consumption. modifying the insteon modules to report every 5 min voltage w/h, etc couldgive yet another purpose to insteon technology. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

dlalande
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  10:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see support for editing the html/javascript embedded in the new v2.0 of the SmartLinc. I love the fact that it can control my thermostat (only reason I upgraded), but the interface is a bad UI. At the very least the drop downs for setting the cool and heat set points should be defaulted to the current temp. This is especially bad on the iPhone since you have to scroll so much to get the temp you want starting from 1. Another feature I would love would be the ability to press big up and down arrows on the page to set the temp to +/- one degree from the current temp. This would be a great help when setting the temp from bed so you don't want to read the numbers on the screen, just press big up or down buttons.
Go to Top of Page

delilah
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  5:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FanLinc

Insteon really needs a switch that can handle both the light and the actual fan (with 3 speed control) for ceiling fans.

I would pay for it but instead I'm dropping 50 bucks on a competitor product to put along side an Insteon keypad in a three gang box. The technology is there, build this thing already.

D
Go to Top of Page

dottom1024
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  3:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FanLinc.
Off/Low/Med/High, light control as well if possible.
I am looking forward to seeing it come to market!
Go to Top of Page

jrs
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2009 :  10:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with dottom1024 a fan control would fill the biggest void in my system.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page