Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  4:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, and Icon paddles can be used to cover the ON LEDs on a SwitchLink and still let you choose the color for the OFF LED.(I had forgotten about that).
Go to Top of Page

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2007 :  4:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It'd really be nice if SmartLabs could develop/release the switches that are similar to Leviton's Vizia's RF Scene and Zone Controllers, but as KeyPadLincs.

For example:

A (Rocker / Load)
B (Rocker)
C (Rocker)
D (Rocker)
E (Rocker)

This could serve as a zone controller. But how about this:

A (Rocker / Load)
B (Rocker)
C (Rocker)
D (Toggle)
E (Toggle)

Same as above, but D and E can be either a switch (like for appliance) or a scene.

Now how about this:

A (Toggle) B (Toggle)
C (Toggle) D (Toggle)
E (Rocket / Load)
F (Toggle) G (Toggle)
H (Toggle) I (Toggle)

All the buttons (except E) can be a toggle, and the load can be assigned to E, which is the rocker.

What if there's two loads? (Like so...)

A (Rocker / Load A)
B (Toggle) C (Toggle)
D (Toggle) E (Toggle)
F (Toggle) G (Toggle)
H (Rocker / Load B)

The top rocker can control the kitchen light and the bottom rocker can control the top-of-the-cabinet light--the light over the cabinet that gives an asthetic look for the kitchen.

There are a whole lot of possibilities you can do, as you can setup more scenes to be controlled from the switch.

The two Vizia RF switches I saw are in here:
http://www.techav.com/ehx/ehxfall2007.htm
(Thanks, MikeB, for providing your website. I wish I could go to EHX... )

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  09:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about just doing a firmware change in the existing KeypadLincs?

1. Get rid of the 6-button mode and ship all KeypadLincs as 8-button. Out of the box have it configured as 4 on-off pairs (left on / right off)with the top pair controlling the load.

2. Allow any pair to be changed to 2 separate toggle mode buttons. (If the top pair is divided then the top left button controls the local load.) This allows any keypad to be configured to any configuration from 4 on-off pairs (rockers) to 8 individual toggled buttons, or any combination in between.

Edited by - upstatemike on 12/04/2007 06:32:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

fshvetz
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  05:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have similar issue, the x10 floods turn on other lights that were x10 and are now insteon. couldn't get it to work, am i doing something wrong? did you figure out an alternate solution?

thanks, fred

quote:
Originally posted by Jeffx

INSTEON MOTION SENSING FLOOD LIGHTS!

My x10 motion sensing floodlighs are the only x10 devices I have left. My back deck floods are in an x10 blackhole, so I have no control of them apart from the keypadlinc that is next in line on the wire.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10863 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  6:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by digger

quote:
Originally posted by gregjsmith

quote:
Originally posted by chadg
There is NO automated fan switch that I know of on any technology. I think it would be a great seller.

Compose CCWHISP X10 ceiling fan controller. Specifically designed to work with ceiling fans.

I cant seem to find these. Do you know where to buy them?

try here:
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php?productid=87&cat=0&page=

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  06:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see an X10 to Insteon bridge that uses the PL513/PL523 interface similiar to the Pulseworx PW513 bridge for UPB. Translators that try to convert signals on the power line will always have problems because they can't be listening for incoming X10 and transmitting Insteon at the same time so they will always have collision issues or just miss commands.

If you have a device designed to replace an existing TW523 you will not have the problems with collisions and missed commands. And with the hundreds of X10 devices that use that interface, you would have instant Insteon compatability and an upgrade path that suddenly makes a transition to insteon more attractive. (Think of all the Stargate users who would love to use Insteon instead of X10!)
Go to Top of Page

Jeffry Dwight
Average Member

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  05:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feature request:

Add an Insteon function to blink the load. Cmd1 can be the command to blink, and Cmd2 can be the number of repetitions. The blink functionality is already built into most devices (it blinks the load to indicate successful linking). The only gotcha is that the blink code must remember the current state (on/off/dim level) of the device and restore it when done blinking.

I use blinking house lights to call people to dinner and other such signals. To do it now, I have to read the current level of each device, blink them all via a group, and then reset each device individually. It's slow, awkward, and unreliable. A group broadcast that handled the blink/restore state would be awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Just Another Joe

Canada
219 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  5:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeffry Dwight

Feature request:

Add an Insteon function to blink the load. Cmd1 can be the command to blink, and Cmd2 can be the number of repetitions. The blink functionality is already built into most devices (it blinks the load to indicate successful linking). The only gotcha is that the blink code must remember the current state (on/off/dim level) of the device and restore it when done blinking.

I use blinking house lights to call people to dinner and other such signals. To do it now, I have to read the current level of each device, blink them all via a group, and then reset each device individually. It's slow, awkward, and unreliable. A group broadcast that handled the blink/restore state would be awesome.

Excellent idea, Jeff! I too use blinks for signaling and some control applications. With X-10 being as slow as it is, one could just send ON-OFF or OFF-ON commands. But with Insteon operating more quickly, a blink command would really help me out!

Me? I'm just another Joe.
Symmetry, synergy, synchronicity, serendipity.
Why be politically correct, when you can be right?
Go to Top of Page

mtippen

35 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  1:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Improved "quality of press" on KeypadLinc.

I find that the KPL's do not have the best "quality of press" to them.

I always prefer turning lights on/off with a SwitchLinc than the KPL.

When one presses a button on the KPL it should have more give to it and not be as difficult to press. I don't think I'd prefer a rubber button, just a "softer touch".

This is subjective and hard to describe, but I think there are others out there who are secretly agreeing yet too ashamed to do so in public.

Now is the time to lend your voice!!
Go to Top of Page

clark21236
Average Member

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  06:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Insteon replacement to the 1132cu or the X10 CM15A. I had heard that the 2414 is much more powerful, just that there is no software written for it. So how about writing some software for it.

I know this has been posted before, but as it stands right now, Insteon can not yet replace my CM15A. I refuse to keep a computer running 24/7 to allow lights and appliances to be controlled, so the Insteon controller needs to work stand alone.

It needs to be able to run macros and timers all by itself.

I'll keep waiting until I see it.
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  08:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
clark21236, you need to look at the ISY. It's a standalone, no computer required. Many people here are using it and loving it.

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)
Go to Top of Page

clark21236
Average Member

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  11:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cicero,

Yes, I have looked at that before, but $340, no way. It's just too expensive. I just can't swallow that kind of cost for something like this.
Go to Top of Page

Sub-Routine
Advanced Member

USA
1202 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  3:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sub-Routine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a 30 day money back guarantee...

Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  5:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
There is a 30 day money back guarantee...

.... and about 3 days is all you'll need to get hooked. :)

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

clark21236
Average Member

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  6:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what your saying is that 3 days in and I'll be hooked, huh?

I see that there is a ISY-99 coming out. Maybe I should wait for that one to come out.
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2007 :  04:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are looking for IR support, I'd wait for the ISY-99. Otherwise the ISY-26 is great.

I have short reviews for both on my site:

http://www.techav.com/udi/isy26.htm

http://www.techav.com/udi/isy99i.htm

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com

Edited by - MikeB on 12/24/2007 04:51:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Billbart
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  12:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be stupid, and I am (so far) a successful newbie, but could a garage door opener device wall wart that plugs in to the garage door outlet be developed that when it senses a power draw from the operator motor(ie. door opening//closing) it would send a change of state signal triggering a signal to a keypadlinc (ie. home/away)?
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  02:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
This may be stupid, and I am (so far) a successful newbie, but could a garage door opener device wall wart that plugs in to the garage door outlet be developed that when it senses a power draw from the operator motor(ie. door opening//closing) it would send a change of state signal triggering a signal to a keypadlinc (ie. home/away)?

This company claims they will have a device available 2Q 2008. Check it out:

http://www.garagehawk.com/

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

clark21236
Average Member

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  05:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now this goes back a ways, but you could check the X10 site. There was something just like this posted on there forums. Someone had setup some X10 stuff to check and see if after a period of time of no activity in the garage, the door was open. And if it was, close it.

Not sure if this matches what you are looking for, but it's a start.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8277 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  06:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smarthome has several devices for garage door monitoring. Just enter garage as the search term: http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=garage

Right now, to have an Insteon keypad light track garage door status using Insteon signals, you could use an EZIO Insteon Input/Output interface: http://www.smarthome.com/31274.html
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  6:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keypadlinc color change kits of all the same color. I needed 5 sets of amber this weekend for someone and bought 5 color change kits to get them. The end user freaked at the $30 plus cost for a few pieces of colored plastic. SH already does this for the switchlincs.

Go to Top of Page

Zellarman
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  6:44:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see an Insteon to IR device. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the IRLinc, it would be nice to see something that goes both ways.
Go to Top of Page

frankjw

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  6:22:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zellarman

I would love to see an Insteon to IR device. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the IRLinc, it would be nice to see something that goes both ways.

They are taking orders for it now. I just put mine in. 99$ but what th e heck. If it works it would be worth it for the money I invested in Insteon just so I could dim the lights when the movie starts.
Go to Top of Page

Falco
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  8:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see "Load-Less Controllers," as when making a 3-way circuit, I would have a hard time adding two $45 SwitchLinc that won't even use the local load. If a LoadLess Controller were less expensive, I'd be more tempted to populate my home with them.
Go to Top of Page

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  9:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And let's not forget loadless KeyPadLincs, too. Why would I want a SwitchLinc/KeyPadLinc with a load wire when placed in an enclosure, ready for to be hooked up to the wall outlet?

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).
Go to Top of Page

jcthorne
Average Member

102 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  07:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was on the phone with Smarthome tech support dealing with a few dead switchlincs and asked about the Keypadlic Relay. They indicated that that module had been delayed quite a bit and would not be available any time soon.

Bummer. I have 3 locations where I really need this device. I could use a Keypadlinc dimmer and an inlinelic relay combo but what a hassel and high cost.
Go to Top of Page

Just Another Joe

Canada
219 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  4:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jcthorne

I was on the phone with Smarthome tech support dealing with a few dead switchlincs and asked about the Keypadlic Relay. They indicated that that module had been delayed quite a bit and would not be available any time soon.

Bummer. I have 3 locations where I really need this device. I could use a Keypadlinc dimmer and an inlinelic relay combo but what a hassel and high cost.

Thanks for the report! If you check this thread, the KeypadLinc Relay was announced last October 9th. After much pestering, Trevor provided an update on December 20 (see near the end of that thread as of this date), saying it would not be available till 'past March.' Grrrrr. From your report, it sounds as though it may be much past March!

Frustrating, frustrating, frustrating... so many of us needing these so desperately...

Me? I'm just another Joe.
Symmetry, synergy, synchronicity, serendipity.
Why be politically correct, when you can be right?
Go to Top of Page

bnance
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  12:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see wireless motion detectors.
Go to Top of Page

charlieo
Average Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  06:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see IR to Insteon and Insteon to IR. We have quite a large investment in Lutron IR dimmers. It would be nice to control them within an Insteon scene. It would also be nice to use our Harmony remotes to control Insteon scenes. The #2411R has half of it...

quote:
Originally posted by Calox

What Insteon products are forum users waiting for?

I know that I have a a handful, but I'd like to see what other forum users are thinking. Here's my list:

- Wireless/Wired Motion Detectors
- Wireless Remotes
- Thermostats
- Plug-in Modules (i.e. "Socket Rockets")
- Security Cameras

Charlie
Go to Top of Page

Fraser
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  12:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to see an insteon version of the X10 Mini Timer.
E.G. Combined easy to use alarm clock and tabletop controller.

An extra additional feature that would be nice is for the
clock to set via the Fort Collins RF time signals.

I also agree with the several other posts about having the ability,
for a keypadlinc's load to be controlled by any button, which
was the case with previous X10 keypadlincs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page