INSTEON
 Motion Sensor for Garage Lights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  2:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Insteon 2842 to control a togglelinc using houselinc software. I want the sensor to turn the light on when I go into the garage. I have a second 2842 I want to use to turn lights off if no motion for 30 minutes. The first 2842 turns the lights on and back off again before I can get to my truck. I have both jumpers on 5 and houselinc is sinced to them. The togglelinc is linked as a responder in both units. One is off for 30 minute and the other is on. What did I do wrong

John in Plainfield IL

razemania
Average Member

75 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  3:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also use a 2842 to turn the lights on in the garage. It's linked to a relay keypadlinc. I use houselinc, but only programmed the motion detector with the jumpers.

I only use one motion sensor that turns the garage light on when it detects motion. It turns off the light if it doesn't detect motion after 2 minutes. As I'm sure you know, the left dial adjusts the "off" command between 30 seconds and 2 hours, so you could use that to turn off the light after 30 minutes of no activity.

Do you use 2 because your garage is too big and the motion sensor doesn't see you?

If I'm in an area of the garage where the lights typically turn off on me, I bring the motion sensor with me.

I also have a switchlinc to the outside light next to the side door of my garage. Turning that on also turns the keypadlinc on (switch linked to the sensor) because the motion sensor doesn't pick up the door when I enter. (I then use the keypadlinc to turn the outside light off).

Hope this helps.

Brian

Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  3:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will try it your way. I used a second one because I started with the off delay and decieded I wanted to turn it on. I will try without the software.

Thanks John

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10836 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2013 :  3:59:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can use HL (jumper 5 on) to set the MS turn off after 30 minutes if no motion is detected. Select [Send both "On" and "Off" commands] for the On Only Mode. Only one MS is needed.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  5:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not getting it to work. I have a large ranch and maybe the access point is to far away. The motion will not link to the toggle switch.

John in Plainfield IL

Edited by - jws338 on 02/01/2013 5:09:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10836 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  5:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is the distance between the MS and Access Point? Can you link the MS if you bring it closer to the Access Point?

Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  5:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just move the access point to 7' from the switch and ms. I think it is linked. I tap the setup button and I can hear the toggle click but the light dosen't turn on. I have 3 8' HO floursent lights on the switch. I have always had to hold the switch on for a second before the lights would come on. I think I am making some progress.

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10836 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2013 :  8:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you turn the ToggleLinc on before linking the MS as a controller? If not, they they are linked to turn off when motion is detected.

Which ToggleLinc are you using, 2466DW or 2466SW?

Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  05:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the 2466SW. I tried again and made sure the lights were on. When I tap the setup button the tl clicks but still does not turn on. I have jumper 4 set, on only.

John in Plainfield IL

Edited by - jws338 on 02/02/2013 12:36:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10836 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  12:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Remove all jumpers. Turn on the TL and leave it on. Link the MS to the TL. Wait at least 4 minutes. Tap the set button on the MS two or three times. What is the result?

Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  08:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I tried that. I am not able to link the TL and MS with the lights on. When I put the toggle to get in the linking mode the light goes of. I linked with the light off and when I tap the set button the led flashes on the TL but the light stays off. If I turn it on and tap the button it turns off. Shouldn't be this hard.

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10836 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  1:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're correct. It shouldn't be this difficult. Which device, the MS or the TL, are you putting in linking mode first? Describe the process you're using to put the TL into linking mode.

Edited by - stusviews on 02/03/2013 1:32:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  3:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have unlinked and reset to factory default. I held the setup button for 5 sec and get a blinking light on the ms. Then I push the TL down until I hear a double tone and the light blinks on the TL and led quits blinking on the MS.

I leave the room for 15 min and return and nothing happens. I tap the setup button and the light blinks on the TL but no light. I turn the light on and tap the setup button and the light will go off. This is with no jumpers on. I have tried it with jumper #4 on only with the same results.

I use a second MS to turn off lights. I have 3 sets of light that the 2nd MS turns off thru houselinc. This works great. I wish the first one would turn something on and nothing off.

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8261 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  3:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to turn a responder device on before linking it if you want that link to turn the device on. Otherwise you create a link that turns the device off.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10836 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  4:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jws338
Then I push the TL down until I hear a double tone and the light blinks on the TL and led quits blinking on the MS.

Push the toggle up.

Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  5:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have unlinked and reset to factory default. I held the setup button for 5 sec and get a blinking light on the ms. Then I push the TL down until I hear a double tone and the light blinks on the TL and led quits blinking on the MS.

I leave the room for 15 min and return and nothing happens. I tap the setup button and the light blinks on the TL but no light. I turn the light on and tap the setup button and the light will go off. This is with no jumpers on. I have tried it with jumper #4 on only with the same results.

I use a second MS to turn off lights. I have 3 sets of light that the 2nd MS turns off thru houselinc. This works great. I wish the first one would turn something on and nothing off.

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  6:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your answers sounded good and I programmed that way but it dosen't work. I have over 30 switched working using houselinc. I think this unit is faulty! Thanks for your time and effort.

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8261 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  6:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jws338

See Stusviews' earlier reply. Holding the TL DOWN is wrong, that means you are actually programming the TL to turn OFF in response to the motion sensor's ON command.

If you want the TL to turn on, turn on the TL then hold the TL UP.

Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  6:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what I did. I programmed it with the lights on and held the toggle up and the MS took it. The setup button turned the lights on but I went out there 39 minutes later and the MS led lit up but know lights. I will try again.

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8261 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  7:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In its default mode, the motion sensor will send and On message on first motion, wait for the timer to expire, then send an Off message. If it detects further motion between the On and the Off message, it does not transmit another on message, because so far as it is concerned the device is already on. Rather, it simply restarts the timer. Before it will send another On message, the timer has to expire.

You can change this setting with HouseLinc by turning on Occupancy Sensing then successfully synchronizing, but what I described is the default behavior.

Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  7:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have jumper #4 on. So I should only get a on signal. Is that right? I turn off all lights with the other MS that is working how I wanted it to.

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10836 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  8:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, but mainly no. Sending an On signal does not mean turn the device to full on. It means turn the device on to the level at which you linked it. That gives you the opportunity to control the On-level.

If you set the On-level to be, say 40%, and then link it as a responder of the MS, a MS on will turn the TL on to 40%.

If you link the TL by holding the toggle down, then an On signal will turn the TL off because you linked it as Off.

If you continue to disregard any advice (e.g., toggle up, jumpers off), then any results are left to chance.

Go to Top of Page

Farmer Harv

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  06:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must've missed it...why the two motion sensors? I have one set up and doing exactly what you're trying to do, and I can't see the need for two.

In any case, unlink the one you're working with, take the battery out and put it aside. Go to the MS that is currently turning the lights off and follow the instructions to have it turn the lights on also. This will take a variable out and determine if it's the MS that's at fault.
Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  06:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stu,
I have the tl turning on floursent lights. The tl is a no dimming.

It worked somewhat this am. It turned the lights on for a second and then off for a sec and bac on. Maybe its wroking.

Farmer: I have 2 MS because the second is turning off 3 sets of lights. The other MS is only turning on 1 set of lights. There is no need to turn on all lights unless I am working out there.

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Harv

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  07:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see. How did you link the Off only MS? What does its On command do when it senses motion?

I'd still unlink everything, take the one MS out of the equation and start from scratch. If will be much simpler and easier to diagnose trying to get a single MS working both on and off with one set of lights.
Go to Top of Page

jws338

25 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  07:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Farmer, I use houselinc software with the MS jumper 5 installed.

John in Plainfield IL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page