Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

kilo32

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  06:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw the e-mail announcing the availability of the new Hub 2242-222. Anyone know if this is a replacement or alternative to the 2412n and if so how does it differ?

Edited by - kilo32 on 11/13/2012 06:26:29 AM

BillT
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  06:29:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I saw it also, and had some basic questions I was hoping someone might be able to help with:

Does it replace the Insteon Controller, or is it used in conjunction with a Controller?
Does it require a computer to be online running an application or does it store programs internally?
Can it sense status of devices and be programmed to execute commands based on status -- e.g., if motion detector on, turn on light?
Can keypads be programmed through the software, or do I need separate software to do that?
Are there any other limitations in programming vs. a computer based application -- I am currently using Indigo Touch
Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
280 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  07:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is the next version of SmartLinc. It would have been nice to be dual band product but appears to be wire-line only.
Go to Top of Page

instaman
Average Member

149 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  08:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if things aren't confusing enough, did you note the Quick Start guide contained four different model numbers for the Hub? But on the plus side it is boasting a surge protection of 1000 volts. That could be helpful to eliminate the bricking phenomenon?

" Oh Please, Oh Please Clock Gods, let thou be accurate for just one Nighteth, Montheth,... uh, YEARETH!"

Edited by - instaman on 11/13/2012 08:35:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  08:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new modules. Made for world wide use. Have a different suffix on the model number for different configurations to meet the local standards for that area.
-222 is the US and Canada standards model.
Go to Top of Page

kilo32

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In reading the quick guide it appears that you either install the software on a computer or on a smartphone but not both.
Go to Top of Page

cobom1628
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  10:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cobom1628's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can this be considered a replacement for the ISY-99i?

It sounds like more capabilities (IP Camera for one) and 1/4 the cost.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  10:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cobom1628

Can this be considered a replacement for the ISY-99i?

It sounds like more capabilities (IP Camera for one) and 1/4 the cost.

It definitely isn't a replacement--the ISY is manufactured by an entirely different company, Universal Devices.

Looking at the Hub's features list on the website as well as the app descriptions, this just looks like a cross between the iGateway and an evolutionary improvement of the SmartLinc. They mention simple email notifications and time synchronization and built-in setup videos, but aside from simple clock-scheduled events I see no user programs, no timers, no counters, no conditional logic, and no plugins for web services with weather or power demand or pricing info.

This is very much like the SmartLinc in that it looks like it has an entirely different target market from the ISY. Simple setup is the goal, not sophisticated power. They can't intend for it to 'compete' with the ISY if it doesn't actually have any of the key features of an ISY!

BTW, you *can* show IP cameras alongside your ISY controls, you just have to use the MobiLinc app with the $4.99 IP camera plugin.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

fsurrent

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  11:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be released on 11/30/12, at $129.99.... Copy of chat:
"The HUB, unlike the SmartLinc, has the ability to send email and text alerts when events have been triggered within your INSTEON network. The HUB is also Cloud/app based so the interface is cleaner and will be more reliable.
Since the HUB has not been released yet we are unsure if there will be any additional differences. Please check back with us when it is closer to the release date of the HUB and we should know if there will be any other major differences."

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

kilo32

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  11:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have an opinion as to whether it will be more reliable than the 2412n as far as missed communications. I still have issues with lights not always responding correctly.
Go to Top of Page

fsurrent

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  11:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the rep that I chatted with, it will "more reliable"...
Go to Top of Page

kilo32

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  3:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just received my Smarthome catalog and they have the Hub listed with a price of $99.99. The item number is 2242-232. When you go to their web site and search for that item number it takes you to item number 2242-222 with a price of $129.99. ????????
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  4:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I also found the same discrepancies you found.

Edited by - BLH on 11/13/2012 4:03:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

kilo32

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  4:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BLH...you also noted earlier that the Quick Start Guide listed 4 separate item numbers that you explained covers the models for other areas of the world with 222 being for US and Canada but this new model item number of 232 isn't listed on the guide. Guess we will find out soon enough with the manufacturer monitoring this chat site.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10891 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  4:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SH does not regularly monitor this forum. It's basically user-to-user. But, someone from SH may occasionally comment.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  4:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The catalog suggests it will work with any smartphone/tablet, but the product page seems to say it requires Android or iOS. Quick start guide also says PC works but you need "INSTEON compatible software that supports the hub as a computer interface". Which is... nothing at this time.

Product page says settings are stored "in the cloud" so you can use multiple smartphones etc.

Seems weird to me to release a SmartLinc replacement that doesn't have any built-in web interface at all.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

FloridaGary
Average Member

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  7:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can certainly understand why there is some speculation regarding this new product The Hub, but doesn't it seem strange to be presenting a product to potential consumers without having all the support data available? At least prepare the tech support group to answer questions that will undoubtedly be asked about a product being promoted in advance of it available sales date. Lets hope this info is available in the next 2 1/2 weeks when it actually goes on sale.

Let there be light!
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  7:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, one other thing that is weird here is the listed category and subcategory for the device. 0x2B and 0x31 respectively. I would have expected the category to be 0x03. 0x2B is a departure from the defined system. Obviously we can't test whether that is correct yet.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  03:10:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts. 232 is a misprint and when the search function is used. You get the 222 page.

I would also like to know how a module not released yet. Has a catalog comment on how easy it was to install, from what looks like a end user. Maybe it was a beta testers findings.

jdale, 0x2B was in a reserved for future use ID CAT Number list.
Maybe some of the reserved CAT numbers are now being used.

Edited by - BLH on 11/14/2012 04:54:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

doogledb
Average Member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2012 :  7:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use HCA+ (Home Control Assistant) which runs on a Home Server. While I was away for a month this summer one of the hard drives crashed and the Server stopped working during the first week. This stopped the automation of my sprinkler system, ac and lights. I then went to the SmartLinc and it was not responding - Finally got a neighbor to go over and reset it for me (not too reliable). Been thinking about getting the ISY as a backup --- however, do not want to spend a lot of time with a complicated backup system - the HUB seems like it will work perfectly - something simple and reliable to control lights, ac and sprinkler system - this seems like it will do that and more. Also, should be able to keep it deactivated until I need it..

Doug
Go to Top of Page

cobom1628
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2012 :  10:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit cobom1628's Homepage  Reply with Quote
<doogledb>

I have the ISY 99i - cost me over $400. I beta tested HCA as it went in to version 10, I was using X-10 - I liked it - but to get to the smooth, automated home feeling where I dont have to run a 2nd PC, keep a 2nd pice of equipment up to date and configured - I went to Insteon.

But a step futher would be a central control for all my Insteon - I dont need a complicated GUI - just basic contol over the Insteon network. If this is it my ISY 99i will be on ebay.
Go to Top of Page

D-C-M
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  12:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

My thoughts. 232 is a misprint and when the search function is used. You get the 222 page.

And the new mailed out catalog shows that item 2242-232 is priced at $99.99 - a $30 difference. Are there two different models or two misprints?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2012 :  03:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same catalog being referenced as you found in yours.
My post may have been unclear. If you do a search on the Smarthome Sales Page for 2242-232.
You automatically get the sales page for a 2242-222 and the $129.99 price.
Go to Top of Page

Commander Balok
Average Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  12:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I emailed customer support. What they emailed back is italicized.

Thank you for contacting Smarthome. There is only one version of the Hub, it is incorrectly tagged in the catalog. I would not recommend the Hub for you as it requires an iOS or Android device for set up.

Hopefully this will help others as it helped me. I have no Android or iOS devices, so I'll have to pass until/unless they release some software so that a regular PC can use the device. Too bad - it looks like a nice solution. I looked at the ISY, but apparently it insists on being the only controller, which I take to mean that every switch has to send a message to the ISY, and the ISY has to run a program to command whatever devices the switch operates. That seems rather inefficient.
Go to Top of Page

kilo32

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  12:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you happen to find out whether the price is $99 or $129?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  1:01:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Commander Balok
I looked at the ISY, but apparently it insists on being the only controller, which I take to mean that every switch has to send a message to the ISY, and the ISY has to run a program to command whatever devices the switch operates. That seems rather inefficient.

No, that's incorrect. The ISY does indeed link controllers directly to their responders by way of its Administrative Console. Once you create a scene, if you turn on a switch, the switch speaks directly to linked responder devices, without interference from the ISY.

What confuses some at first is the specification that you use the ISY as the tool to create and manage these links. The reason is status tracking. Consider: if you manually linked a switch to a LampLinc, the ISY would know that they switch was on but would have no reason to believe the LampLinc changed state; vs. if you use the ISY to generate links it knows that the behavior of the controller is also affecting the state of the responders.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Commander Balok
Average Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  1:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kilo32

Did you happen to find out whether the price is $99 or $129?

Since they told me the catalog was "incorrectly tagged", I assume the website price of $129 is the correct price.
Go to Top of Page

Commander Balok
Average Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2012 :  1:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8
No, that's incorrect. The ISY does indeed link controllers directly to their responders by way of its Administrative Console. Once you create a scene, if you turn on a switch, the switch speaks directly to linked responder devices, without interference from the ISY.

What confuses some at first is the specification that you use the ISY as the tool to create and manage these links. The reason is status tracking. Consider: if you manually linked a switch to a LampLinc, the ISY would know that they switch was on but would have no reason to believe the LampLinc changed state; vs. if you use the ISY to generate links it knows that the behavior of the controller is also affecting the state of the responders.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

D-C-M
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  08:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Commander Balok

I emailed customer support. What they emailed back is italicized.

Thank you for contacting Smarthome. There is only one version of the Hub, it is incorrectly tagged in the catalog. I would not recommend the Hub for you as it requires an iOS or Android device for set up.

Hopefully this will help others as it helped me. I have no Android or iOS devices, so I'll have to pass until/unless they release some software so that a regular PC can use the device. Too bad - it looks like a nice solution. I looked at the ISY, but apparently it insists on being the only controller, which I take to mean that every switch has to send a message to the ISY, and the ISY has to run a program to command whatever devices the switch operates. That seems rather inefficient.

If you look closely at the mailed out catalog or the hub quick start guide, they both say that the hub can control devices [catalog] "using a computer, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad or any other web-enabled device" or [quick start] "setup, control and manage your INSTEON devices from either your smartphone/tablet or PC".

So, Smarthome, does this mean that the hub has a web interface that would be accessed via your PC browser or what - precisely
Go to Top of Page

Clark
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  10:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An hour ago I called the “Need Help” number from the Smarthome online order page (800-367-9836)and was told the $99.99 price in the catalog was a mis-print. However, the operator said they would honor that price but only for telephone orders. So I ordered one for $99.99 including shipping. This is to replace my 2412n that has stopped working.
Go to Top of Page

Commander Balok
Average Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2012 :  10:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-C-M

If you look closely at the mailed out catalog or the hub quick start guide, they both say that the hub can control devices [catalog] "using a computer, iPod touch, iPhone, iPad or any other web-enabled device" or [quick start] "setup, control and manage your INSTEON devices from either your smartphone/tablet or PC".

So, Smarthome, does this mean that the hub has a web interface that would be accessed via your PC browser or what - precisely

I read that too, but it wasn't strongly worded enough to convince me, hence my email to customer support. Evidence against was that all screen shots were of a smart phone interface.

My guess is that at some point they will either write an app, or publish the comm protocol so others can write an app. I would imagine that all the app does is sends command strings to a particular port on which the Hub listens, and all it does is forward these to the net. BUT THAT'S JUST A GUESS.

BTW, this is a user to user format. Don't count on Smarthome employees reading a post here. Sometimes they do, but if you really want to ask them a question use the information on their 'Contact Us' page.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page