Insteon App
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JWillis

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2012 :  9:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have done a TREMENDOUS amount of work setting up new devices and scenes using the SmartLinc Software on my iPad within the last two days. Hours and hours of effort.

This evening I decided to open the SmartHome iPAD app and play with it. MISTAKE. In tools, I executed an update ... Thinking it would go out to my PLM, grab the recnt updated settings and update the app. No, it took the few rooms and scenes I had set up in the app many months ago, and overwrote them to my PLM, wiping out all my recent work.. No explanation, no warning, no nothing.

I lost a tremendous amount of work. Who in their right mind would develop something so destructive and idiotic?

Is there not any developer using common sense with this app?

Documentation?

How do you remove a scene from the app? I can not find a way to get that done.

Don't make the mistake of hitting camera setup, there is no exit.

Please, learn from my mistake, this app is worthless, dangerous, poorly programmed.

Just an average Joe trying to automate my home.

sainfg
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  08:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slides your finger across the scene name like you would email on the iphone and it will give you the delete button, click delete.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8278 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  09:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found adding or deleting rooms or scenes from within the app is problematic if you have more than one iOS Oor Android device. The way the app is designed, those changes are only stored locally, within the app, and not saved to the SmartLinc. This is inconsistent with other changes, like adding devices to existing scenes or changing camera details, which are saved back to the SmartLinc.

If you have multiple devices, I recommend ignoring the add/delete rooms and scenes features inside the app. Instead, use a computer to log into the SmartLinc via the SmartLinc.smarthome.com site, make the changes within the SmartLinc's built-in interface, then use the app's Update feature to bring those changes into the app.

The same goes for getting around the add camera bug. If you just go to add a camera from the app, you get almost through the process then you can't save the changed settings because the top screen overlaps the back/save button below it. The work-around I found is that you bypass that screen entirely if you a) add the camera using the SmartLinc's built-in interface, b) use the app's Update feature to download the changes, then c) go into app settings, room, then add the login and password info.

I do get a warning message when I tap update explaining that the process will overwrite any changes made locally. They might have been thinking that you would update and see that message before spending too much time making changes that would be overwritten, but IMHO that's a dangerous assumption to make. Hopefully they change the way this works when they next update the app.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

sainfg
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  11:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem I am having is that I set up both IP Cameras and was able to view via the Web. Then I just go the SmartLinc Controller, plugged it in, and I set it up. I can see the cameras form my home network. on my Ipad and Iphone. At work I can login, with the Inteon app and see the upstairs and downstairs, however, the cameras dont show up. Any Ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8278 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  11:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what happens if you enter the LAN IP--the cameras are only available via devices connected locally to the same router. I think the camera instructions talk about setting up a DDNS service and port forwarding for viewing the camera when you are away from home.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2374 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  11:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I don't have smarthome cameras, I suspect the concepts are pretty consistent regardless of make, and I want to confirm Tfitzpatiri8 observation. When viewing cameras while connected to your home network via wifi or ethernet cable (local area network), you use a local address (mine looks something like 168.192.x.xx). When connected outside your local area network, you have to use your IP address and port number (mine looks something like 75.XXX.XX.XXX:XXX), username and password. Sometimes, this requires one to configure port forwarding rules on the router. Some phone and pad apps will handle much of the formatting and login data for you.
Go to Top of Page

sainfg
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, i will review that this evening....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page