Lighting and Appliance Control
 Chime
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  9:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does any other company make the equivalent of the X 10 SC546 chime? Something that's compatible with the X 10 RR501 transceiver.

BLH
Advanced Member

4357 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  03:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen any other manufactures making a X10 compatible chime module. The three model numbers I know are.
X10 SC564 is also a retail model RSC15. X10Pro is a PHH02.

Are you looking for some chime modules?

Now that X10 has closed their factory in China and say they are trying to provide some base models through outside factories. Most modules are out of stock or discontinued.
Some of the independent X10 dealers still have the SC564s if you are looking for some.
Go to Top of Page

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  6:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping to get something a little bit louder that would work a little better. I originally had one chime which worked fine. When I added another chime I found that the room I put the new chime in is apparently on a different electrical phase and won't work. When I put the new chime on a socket that I believe is on the same phase as the first one, it works but the other one doesn't. I think I've been introduced to the weak signal not passing the nearest chime problem.
At this point I don't know if it's worth the cost of adding a phase coupler and signal booster to make the system work, or just going with a different system that does the same thing but without the problems I have now.

quote:
Originally posted by BLH

I have not seen any other manufactures making a X10 compatible chime module. The three model numbers I know are.
X10 SC564 is also a retail model RSC15. X10Pro is a PHH02.

Are you looking for some chime modules?

Now that X10 has closed their factory in China and say they are trying to provide some base models through outside factories. Most modules are out of stock or discontinued.
Some of the independent X10 dealers still have the SC564s if you are looking for some.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10871 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  7:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMO, make the change to Insteon. Adding X10 device weakens the signal, but adding Insteon devices boosts the signal, making it much more reliable.

You'll still need to couple the legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. That can be done with a wire-in device at the panel or two dual-band devices. Access points and dual-band LampLincs are easiest (both plug-in), but there are also wire-in dual-band devices such as SwitchLincs and KeypadLincs.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2012 :  6:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will Insteon products work with an X 10 RR501 transceiver? Does Insteon make a chime?

The reason I have this system in the first place is because I am disabled and I needed some way to let my caregivers know that I need something in situations where I'm unable to speak. I'm using the system I have with a sip and puff module connected to a X 10 big red panic button. If you're not familiar with a sip and puff module it's a device that is activated by sipping on or puffing into a small tube connected to a module which in turn is connected to the big red panic button through a 3.5 mm connector. The big red panic button sends an RF signal to the RR501, which of course triggers the chimes. I wanted to be of the still use the RR501.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4357 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  03:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most older Insteon Modules can have an X10 address programmed in to them and respond to an X10 power line signal from the RR501.
Lately some of the latest Insteon Modules have dropped X10 support.

Is there an Insteon Chime Module. No
You maybe able to use an I/OLinc to sound an external bell or sounder.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10871 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is an Insteon Chime Kit that will respond to any Insteon controller.

A sip and puff switch can be connected to a TriggerLinc to control the chime wirelessly. Two Triggerlincs (and one other responder) can be used to take advantage of both actions.

Edit: You will also need an Insteon RF transceiver.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Edited by - stusviews on 08/22/2012 1:24:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2012 :  9:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate it.

The problem for me with Insteon is the cost.

I guess I'll keep asking questions and doing research and come up with an answer, although I think I've got enough information from you all already. I just hate to spend the extra money.
Go to Top of Page

GBC

43 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  09:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked on the Trigger Link and the one I saw was controlled by a magnet and used to turn on a light or trigger some other device when a door or window is opened or closed. How would this be able to connect with the sip and puff?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4357 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2012 :  09:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The TriggerLinc has a small terminal block in it. Where an external switch can be connected to trigger it.
Here is a link to the manual. Page 5 shows the terminal block.
http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2843-222.pdf
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page