New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Liam
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  7:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a room that has a switch-controlled outlet for a floor lamp or overhead light. I'd like to add dimming capability plus bring it onto my Smartlinc network.

If I simply add a dimmable Switchlinc on the switch that is controlling the outlet, will that work? Or do I need to use Outletlinc? I'd prefer to use the Switchlinc so that I can easily control it manually from the switch near the door if possible.

Hope that makes sense.

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2374 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  8:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it physically possible? Maybe (depends on wiring).

Is is a good idea? Not in my mind. Runs the risk of damage or fire if wrong device is plugged into outlet. It is also a code violation.

Use a dimmable outletlink and switchlink. Outlet is uniquely configured to minimize risk.
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  8:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it is against code to have a Dimmer control an outlet. Danger of plugging a non-dimmable load such as a vacuum or the like into the outlet. Install an OutletLinc Dimmer which has a safety key to prevent accidently plugging something into the OutletLinc. A SwitchLinc can still be installed in the wall switch location to actually control the OutletLinc Dimmer. The SwitchLinc would control the OutletLinc by linking the SwitchLinc to the OutletLinc. The OutletLinc must receive unswitched 120v power.

Lee G
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10871 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  8:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have a neutral at the switch. If you have only two wires, one black and one white, then the white wire is NOT a neutral. There is a fix, if that's the case

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Liam
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  12:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hm, well... those weren't the answers I was hoping for, but thanks for replying and potentially keeping me from burning down my house
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page