Camera detecting night mode switch as motion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wishbone
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  09:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having an issue with my "Smarthome Wireless Outdoor IP Security Camera with Night Vision" camera detecting the switch to night vision mode as motion. It makes sense that a change of the entire image would kick off a motion alert, but obviously this should not happen. Is there something I'm doing wrong or do I just have to wait for a firmware update? I'm happy with the motion detection sensitivity but I don't think any change to that would help since the night vision switch does make a lot of difference in the imagine.

vinnieg
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  12:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem. Mine seems to switch randomly between night and day mode constantly which sets off the alarm. If I switch it to 320x200 mode, it doesn't happen. (It shouldn't set off the motion alarm if the brightness level changes). Debating whether to send it back or not. I like it other than this issue.
Go to Top of Page

wishbone
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  12:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My day/night mode works well, but I think my issue is definitely a firmware thing. When it switches mode it should definitely not trigger a motion alarm. It does it like clockwork at dawn and dusk.
Go to Top of Page

vinnieg
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  12:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Mine is installed under a porch, so the light level must be low and it can't decide which mode to use. Does yours only send one alert, or does it send a number of them?
Go to Top of Page

vinnieg
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  12:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure why it works in 320 mode though.
Go to Top of Page

wishbone
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  12:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get one alert when it switches modes, that's it. I do know what you're talking about though, while testing inside it would switch back and forth a lot. Now that it's outside (but covered) it only seems to switch twice. Once at sunset and once at sunup. Perhaps they should add a sensitivity setting for that as well.
Go to Top of Page

wishbone
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2012 :  12:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah the 320 mode only thing is weird. Call their support line. Some of the guys on there are great (some not so much).
Go to Top of Page

wishbone
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  8:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still having issues with this, does support read these boards?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8261 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  8:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Negative, you should have seen a note when you registered your ID that this is a user-to-user forum. Smarthome does offer free tech support on a bunch of the gear they sell, but to get that you have to call the phone number that comes on the included Quick Start Guide.

BTW, which other brand cameras are you using that operate differently? I had assumed that it was just characteristic of the technology involved, since computing the difference between a black and white image and a color image and trying to interpret what was a difference in B&W vs. color sensor capability vs. what was an actual difference in three dimmensional objects within those two images would require more computing horsepower than what I understood a $100 camera has onboard. I suspect it just adds up the values of all the pixels in the image, then triggers an email if that number deviates by more than a set percentage. If you programmed it to ignore deviations greater than x%, then you might not get an image sent if movement coincides with light level changes, meaning you might not get a shot of the event if someone walked up to the camera and broke the adjacent light.

If it comes down to something beyond the capability of the processor, which is better: a false negative (not emailing when there was motion) or a false positive (emailing one pic when ambient light causes the camera to switch between day and night modes)?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

wishbone
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  8:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not the act of the image changing as the day changes, it's the image changing when the camera switches between day/night IR modes. A simple signal to the firmware when this change occurs is all that is necessary. Then it could easily ignore the motion detection code during that switch. No real processing power necessary. Pin goes high, ignore motion detection. Done.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8261 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  8:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I wouldn't want to miss motion just because it coincided with a shift between day and night modes. That'd leave me vulnerable if someone intentionally manipulated artificial light levels. Do you have other cameras that work that way?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

wishbone
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  8:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you could live with the less than second in motion detection. I'm quite certain a 500ms "blackout" could be tolerated in any environment that a $100 budget camera would be used in. Regardless, a simple check box could allow you to turn it on or off in the configuration if you really wanted to be bothered twice a day with worthless images anyway.

This is the first camera I've used with an auto detecting IR night mode, but regardless of what other cameras do I'm sure there are others that are tired of getting emailed twice a day just because the camera is switching modes.
Go to Top of Page

nexlar
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  02:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit nexlar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the same issue with my camera. It is giving problem to me in night mode option.

Till now no solution for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page