Security
 Computer based or stand alone camera system
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimS

19 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  12:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who have dabbled in security camera's am I better off with a dedicated DVR and camera[s] setup or should I run Houselinc for my impending Insteon setup then install a video input card and camera's to the same computer runing Houselinc? The computer would be running 24 hours a day. Is there a big difference in either idea?
Tks, JimS

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2012 :  12:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That depends on your particular security needs. There is no one-system-fits-all. DVR is CCTV, HL uses IP cameras. Then there's wired or wireless, indoor, outdoor, night vision, pan, tilt, zoom, etc.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

JimS

19 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  09:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I read about them it seems computer based and stand alone systems have just about the same features. I guess I'm saying a golf cart will get me 50 miles down the road but a car will do a much better job. I'm more interested in if one is more stable or dependable than the other or if they are on a somewhat even par.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  11:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The golf cart will do considerably better at a golf course. A car will not even be allowed. Volvo makes both cars and trucks, both are dependable. They are not usually interchangeable.

Stability and dependability are more a function of the quality of the camera, less on the particular technology (e.g., CCTV vs. IP). Which to get depends on the particular situation/installation/need - only.

Go to Top of Page

JimS

19 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  12:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes sense. Think I will go with the computer with input card then I can purchase cameras of I see fit and of the quality I want. Tks..
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  12:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unless you have a relatively powerful computer with lots of memory, more than four CCTV cameras will slow down your system considerably. But, you can mix and match various brands, as needed.

Also, IP cameras from different manufactures are usually not viewable on one screen. However, software, that does allow multiple brand cameras to be seen at once is readily available - including freebies.

Go to Top of Page

JimS

19 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  2:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my hopes are dashed as I just looked at the XP computer and it a Dell Dimension 2400, Pentium 4cpu, 2.66Ghz w/2GB ram. Thanks for that last bit of info.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10879 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  2:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My old (still in use) XP, Dell Dimension E520, dual P4 2.8Ghz w/4GB RAM slowed with four cameras and choked at about six CCTV cameras using an 8-input card. I opted for an 8-channel DVR.

That PC is still great for voice mail, Insteon software, and IP camera viewing, all concurrently. And because the DVR is networked, we can view the CCTV cameras on the same computer as well.

Go to Top of Page

nexlar
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  8:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit nexlar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although the stand alone camera is quite cheap as compare to IP camera but stand alone camera is more problematic as compare to IP camera. One of the major effect is that it slow down your PC and virus infections.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page