Thermostats & HVAC Control
 Venstar T1700 Doesn't Click on Cooling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  11:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I installed the T1700 into my home, following the directions regarding the colored wires carefully.

Unfortunately, connecting the wires as instructed, rendered a dead unit - it simply would not power up.

I played around with the combination of wiring up the cables and found that I could use the blue wire as a common wire, which powered on the unit and let me control it. Unfortunately, I then discovered that this specific combination of wiring was preventing the cooling portion from coming on. The T1700 would recognize the temperature of the home and knew to turn the A/C on, but only the fan would engage and the air would never get cold.

I played around with the jumper settings and wiring combinations some more, and discovered I could get the cool air to come on, but only for one cycle.

I live in Orlando, Florida, and can only tinker with this at night, due to the incredible heat during the day. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem and can offer a solution.

Pics of my wiring are located here: http://increasinglycomplex.tumblr.com/post/25727357787/hvac-headaches

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  11:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It'd be easier to see the labels while not in motion or at least a longer delay.

Place the jumpers in their default positions.

Do you have heat? Is it a heat pump?

The colors appear standard as do the connections on the existing thermostat.

1. If you reinstall the original thermostat, does every function as it should?

2. Specifically, what color wire from the wall did you connect to each terminal letter on the T1700 thermostat?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  4:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's an image that isn't changing constantly (sorry):

The image shows how my old unit was wired up. You can see, in the middle of the image, the hole where the wires protrude. The blue wire, in the original installation, is not being used.

The other wires go here:
(as per the labeling of the old thermostat, a "Robert Shaw" unit)

White wire -> W
Red wire -> RC (and then jumps to...) RH
Yellow wire -> Y
Green wire -> G

So the most important thing to take away from that is, the red wire comes from the wall and gets utilized by my old thermostat twice, once for something labeled RC and something else labeled RH.

I have gone over the manual for the T1700 and it never indicated what a true "default" is for the jumpers. It only makes clear what the jumpers should be set to in a specific situation.

Yes, I have a heating system. No, to my knowledge it is not a heat pump, though I have only small understanding of the workings of a home HVAC system.

When I initially installed the T1700, I connected it like this:

White wire -> W1/O/B
Yellow wire -> Y1
Green wire - > G
Red wire -> R
Blue wire (using for the first time) -> C

I naively assumed the red wire went to "R" and the blue wire was (for some reason) unused with the previous thermostat, but truly needed to go to "C" input (which I naively assume means "cooling"). This connection wouldn't even let the T1700 power up.

I then switched:

Red wire -> C
Blue wire -> R

And that let the T1700 power up but I did not get any cool air.

Yes, I have reinstalled the original thermostat as it was originally pictured and everything works properly again.

Edited by - kkachurak on 06/23/2012 4:29:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  4:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good. You are doing everything right. Next, you'll need to go the to HVAC control panel. It's usually located near the heating unit.

That will be the other end of the wires coming from the wall. What is the blue wire connected to? What is the red wire connected to?

If you have gas heat, then the jumpers should be as shown on page 4.2 of the Installation Manual.

BTW, Rh and Rc are for systems where each of heating and cooling has its own power supply/transformer, usually when cooling (or heating) is added to an existing system. They're jumpered when only one supply is used, most commonly when heating and cooling are installed at the same time. The Venstar is designed for a single power source.

Go to Top of Page

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  5:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
*dumb question alert*

Where would the heating unit typically be located?

I live in a condo-converted multi-story unit that began its life as an apartment. Construction is estimated to be in the mid to late 90's.

In a small "closet", above the water heater, there is a large rectangular device covered in aluminum sheeting. It is a "Trane" model BAYHTR14GS+ + +

I remain unclear, but I believe this is the heating unit. My lack of clarity stems from this device kicking on audibly each time the air condition (cooling) begins.

If that is indeed the heating unit, then bad news. I don't see any colored wires dipping into or out of this large device anywhere. I see the nicely wrapped up cable that looks reminiscent of what is coming out near my thermostat and then breaks out of the wrapping into the multi-colored wires. But I can't be sure of that.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  6:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trane makes both AC and heating units. I couldn't find anything with the model number you listed.

Heating units are typically installed where they fit. Not much help. Can you locate where the AC compressor is? Is it also Trane? If so, then is the thermostat a Trane device, too?

Go to Top of Page

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  10:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No, the thermostat is not a Trane device. It is a Robert Shaw.

I'm so sorry - I wouldn't know a heating or A/C compressor if either smacked me in the face and called me Nancy.

There's a tropical storm overhead today. Warm temps, but not a lot of sun getting through. I will play some more with it this afternoon and evening as a result and keep this thread abreast of the progress.
Go to Top of Page

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  2:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This wiring configuration does not even let the T1700 power up.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  2:17:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's the correct wiring. A goal is to find the other end of the blue wire. If it was not connected at the thermostat, then it most likely was not connected to the transformer at the other end which would explain the thermostat not powering up. Swapping the wires (red & blue) may feedback through the control panel, but will not provide functionality. The blue wire doesn't even need to be connected to anything

Go to Top of Page

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  2:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This wiring configuration lets the T1700 power up. It appears to operate fine as a thermostat. But when the cooling kicks on, the air does not feel cold at all.

Jumper Settings:
J1 - Elec
J2 - Gas
J3 - O

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  2:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any of white, yellow, or green connected to C may power up the thermostat.

Go to Top of Page

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  3:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I suspect this has something strongly to do with how the red wire went to both RC and RH on the original thermostat. And the blue wire was never used in the original installation. It's getting hot in here. Whatever RC and RH mean...

Edited by - kkachurak on 06/24/2012 3:14:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  3:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pulling "power" from the Green wire (presumably fan control) provides erratic responses from the thermostat. It starts up then shuts down, but the fan keeps running. No cool air.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  3:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's due to feedback through the cooling, heating, and/or fan system. The other end of each of these systems terminates where the blue wire needs to be connected to, referred to as Common (C).

Go to Top of Page

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  3:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Noticing that under certain wiring configurations, the T1700 will start up immediately, and in other wiring configurations, it takes a few moments to turn on.
Go to Top of Page

kkachurak

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  4:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Send kkachurak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Okay - GOT IT!

Yes - the blue wire was disconnected in the HVAC system. The girlfriend was the one that discovered it hanging, covered in dirt, dust and other debris. It was gross, but we got it connected and the system runs beautifully now.

Thank you for your help, stusviews.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2012 :  4:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CL

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page