Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Surveillance
 smarthome wireless ip camera.. unusable (Mac OS)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aeolius
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  5:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I got the Smarthome Wireless IP camera. I plugged it in.

Then I looked through the instructions and saw it needed a physical connection to set up. So I plugged it into my Time Capsule. I tried running the enclosed CD, but it had a scratch. I tried accessing the camera via Bonjour. That seemed to work, but I could not get passed the screen that wanted login as "admin" and password as blank.

I tried plugging the ethernet right into my iMac. Bonjour would not even show the device. System Preferences > Network > Ethernet gave an IP address which would not work.

I tried downloading IP Scanner from Foscam's site, as recommended by Smarthome. The program showed 15 devices, the first 5 which were not the "unidentified device" it suggested I look for. Clicking on other options prompted me to buy the full app for $30. Not an option.

So, do I send the camera back?

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  8:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't plug the ethernet from the camera straight into your iMac, but rather into your router (which, I take it, is a Time Capsule). You don't mention which camera you're talking about (Smarthome sells many models), but I presume that you're talking about the 75790. This camera obtains an IP address via DHCP by default, so it needs to be connected to a DHCP server (such as your Time Capsule) in order to get an IP address. You should use your IP scanner software once the camera is hooked up to such a device.

FWIW, the Smarthome IP camera 75790 shows up on my IP scanner app (iNet for iOS) as a device made by "B-Link Electronic Limited". If you have an iPhone (or iPod Touch or iPad), you may want to try iNet. Last I checked, there was a free version that provided at least enough functionality to find the info you need.

Realistically, the only thing holding you back from getting the camera set up and working is finding the IP address. If Smarthome can't provide you with a copy of the application that's on the disc, there are plenty of free network scanners that will do the trick. And realistically, it should take less time for you to find and use one of these than it would for you to pack the camera back up.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page