Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  8:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

This thing makes noise even when off?

Teken . . .

Yes indeed it unfortunately makes noises even when off. It's not the typical "dimmer" sound it's a high frequency whistling sound from the power supply... But it bugs me since I hear it - other people could be absolutely fine with that as they may not hear it. It's pity I like the concept very much... Sorry returning.

And yes I was smart enough to make them one-device scenes that I'm calling from ISY99 programs - so I don't have to re-write the code when going back to LampLinc Dimmers w/ LED Bulbs from local HD.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10889 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  8:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not a total surprise because it needs to be "live" to respond, but a surprise nonetheless.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  8:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanK

quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

This thing makes noise even when off?

Teken . . .

Yes indeed it unfortunately makes noises even when off. It's not the typical "dimmer" sound it's a high frequency whistling sound from the power supply... But it bugs me since I hear it - other people could be absolutely fine with that as they may not hear it. It's pity I like the concept very much... Sorry returning.

And yes I was smart enough to make them one-device scenes that I'm calling from ISY99 programs - so I don't have to re-write the code when going back to LampLinc Dimmers w/ LED Bulbs from local HD.

If you had to describe the level of noise. Would it be louder than a very low whisper?

Or the kind of buzz you hear from ballasts from some light assembly?

Teken . . .
Go to Top of Page

JanK
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  9:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not louder than a low whisper - absolutely not. It's the high-frequency buzz common from some ballasts, CFLs or some laptops... My wife does not hear it at all. I'm unfortunately sensitive to such frequencies. I can still hear it 6 ft away or being in the same room 3 ft from the bulb and 12 ft from fridge that is on - I can still clearly hear the bulb buzz.

I'd say ok if it's buzzing only when ON, but 24/7 is more I can handle. None of the other Insteon devices do emit such frequency (have over 40 Insteon devices LampLincs / InWall Dimmers and switches including dual-band... )
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  03:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they have to add some potting compound around the power supply inductors. To muffle their resonating.

I would also like to see listings for.
Initial Lumens Output.
If they meet any of the Lumens Deprecation Standards {L70,L75} at their rated 50,000 hours.
Their Color Temperature.
Their CRI.
Their Beam Angle.

The Developers Guide gives some Lux Levels between a 60 watt incandescent bulb and the BulbLinc. I am not good at reading it.

Edited by - BLH on 06/30/2012 03:19:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

ELA

315 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2012 :  11:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit ELA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also since it is stated to be a powerline repeater, at what level? They seem have forgot that specification while all the other devices list it?

Insteon Test Data ->: http://www.elavenue.com/insteon_test_data.html
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  10:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I hear a high pitched ringing in my ears everywhere I go. Must be from all the loud music when I was younger.
Go to Top of Page

jmulek
Average Member

65 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  2:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is installed in kitchen ceiling. I can't hear anything coming from it.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  08:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sales page has been updated to include a few details on the bulbs characteristics.
Like it has a color temperature of 3000K
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  06:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

The sales page has been updated to include a few details on the bulbs characteristics.
Like it has a color temperature of 3000K

Interesting. It says that it has a CRI of 76, which isn't bad (better than CFL's), but not as good as the Philips bulbs.

It also says that it's 56 lumens per watt. There is no specification of the actual brightness, but if you take 8 watts X 56 lumens/watt, you get 448 lumens... and that's nowhere near as bright as a typical 60 watt soft-white incandescent.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  08:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And people say that no one at SmartHome ever reads these forums . . . LOL

Teken . . .
Go to Top of Page

ELA

315 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  10:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit ELA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When BLH speaks Smarthome listens!

Still waiting on the powerline transmit level?

Go to Top of Page

Guli
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  10:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I was able to test this a few seconds. I didn't hear any noise, but I'll have to test again.

However, I got a problem. a small metal piece fell from the bottom of the bulb after I removed it from the socket. You can see the picture below. Now off course the bulb isn't working even if I put the little part back into the bulb and carefully screw the bulb un the lamp socket to make sure it doesn't fall again (because it's loose).

Anybody got that problem and was able to fix it ?

Thanks

- Guli
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10889 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  11:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You shouldn't have to fix a defective bulb, even if you could get it to work. And if a part fell off, it's certainly defective. Get a replacement under warranty.

Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  2:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

You shouldn't have to fix a defective bulb, even if you could get it to work. And if a part fell off, it's certainly defective. Get a replacement under warranty.

I second that sentiment. SmartHome will take care of you.

Teken . . .
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  3:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will make it a trio.
Just return it as even if it did work. It could be a safety thing.
I am also sure Smartlabs/Smarthome will want to evaluate why the contact button was loose and fell out.
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  4:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering more and more if I should cancel my pre-order. From the specs, it doesn't seem like it will be as bright as a 60 watt incandescent... some folks have noise, and others have pieces falling off. Sounds like a Yugo GV to me.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  04:31:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brightness comparisons may depend on the 60 watt bulb chosen.
I have seen different manufacturers bulbs with the same wattage rating have different Lumens ratings.

Also if they are comparing the 60 watt bulb to how it acts when controlled by a LampLinc. The 100% brightness maybe closer. As even at 100% there is a 10 volt {mine anyway} drop from input to output.

Developers Notes do have a comparison chart of how a BulbLinc and LampLinc with 60 watt incandescent bulb, brightness levels are at different dim levels.
In Lux the BulbLinc is slightly higher at 100% and the changes are more linear than a incandescent bulb. Probably from the effects of the filaments characteristics.
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  06:29:43 AM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Where can I find the developers notes?
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2223 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  06:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purchase the Developer Subscription for $200. It provides access to otherwise confidential information. It requires a NDA so information exchange on the user to user forum will be restricted.

Lee G
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  06:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh, well I don't think I'm going to spend $200 for that.

@BLH: If the developer's notes say that the Lux is slightly higher than an incandescent bulb, I would suspect this is due to the beam pattern of the LED bulb. Lux is a measure of brightness per square meter. If the LED bulb's beam is focused on a surface, compared to the incandescent bulb's nearly spherical beam pattern, that would explain why the LED would measure brighter in Lux. This is why it is important to know the beam pattern, and the brightness in lumens.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually the present Developers Kit with hardware is $249 or $199 access to documentation and forums only.

I agree that the beam angle of the light would definitely effect the Lux readings.
I have a Philips EnduraLED bulb that works well in my table lamps. Has a light pattern closer to a incandescent bulb. While I have an EcoSmart that is mostly directly vertical from the base. Good for down lighting but in a table lamp the ceiling gets most of the light.

Edited by - BLH on 07/06/2012 06:59:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  07:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have two of the Philips LED bulbs in my ceiling fan (controlled with a FanLinc). I'm mostly satisfied with them. The only thing I don't like is that they don't dim all the way to off... they abruptly turn off at some brightness level before 0%, but I haven't used HouseLinc yet to test what the actual minimum brightness is before they cut off.

It's not a huge problem, but a little odd. Otherwise, I really like the Philips bulbs... well, except for the price of course.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  2:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There must be a problem. The SmartBulb has been moved from the SmartHome sales page?? Also, wasn't this device a RF device only?? Now it says its dual band??

Teken . . .

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 07/06/2012 2:32:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8299 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  2:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still see it, it is one of the slideshow of featured products on the main Smarthome page. Are you searching for the wrong product name?

http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/INSTEON-LED-Bulb/p.aspx

The original product announcement I received said dual-band.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  2:46:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

I still see it, it is one of the slideshow of featured products on the main Smarthome page. Are you searching for the wrong product name?

http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/INSTEON-LED-Bulb/p.aspx

The original product announcement I received said dual-band.

It was listed in the Insteon page of products. Now that light bulb listing is missing? If you use the search or the Ad you mentioned it does bring you to the sales page for the device.

The dual band thing, I must have been still thinking about the spec's ELA was speaking of because I thought it was just listed 30 minutes ago. Then, when I went back that spec was removed. It had some strange fonts used to list it though?

Teken . . .
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  3:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A search for BulbLinc should also find it.
I think sales was changing things on the main page. A few days back it was shown in the slide show. Then was not in the slide show. Now back in the slide show and also on the bottom of the Insteon Compatibility Tab in its own section. Called cleverly Bulbs.

I don't believe it says Dual Band but does list RF and Power Line Mesh capable.

There is a listing. Phase bridge detect beacon NO. Since it has no set button or status LED. Probably means it can't do a communications test like other Dual Band devices can.

Edited by - BLH on 07/06/2012 3:25:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10889 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  3:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe dual-band, in this case means that it can be controlled by an RF device as well as powerline. That is, it's a dual-band responder only.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4360 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  4:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The FCC Database files for the BulbLinc. Page 18 of the test report 93071-7. Has an RF Transmitter Output List.
I suspect it can resend Insteon RF commands.
Go to Top of Page

ELA

315 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  5:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit ELA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The sales page information seems to change almost every day!
At the very beginning I thought maybe it was a RF only device but ever since they had posted " INSTEON RF mesh repeater" that meant to me that it retransmits via RF. Since it is not a controller then no need to initiate RF of course.

The only reason I was interested in this bulblinc at all was to hear of its power line transmit level. Makes me wonder if that is simply an over-site or intentional?

Had considered buying one just to measure it but from what I have seen thus far I remain unimpressed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page