Got an email from Smarthome.
New Insteon enabled LED Light Bulb.
http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/INSTEON-LED-Bulb/p.aspx

Edited by - BLH on 06/19/2012 06:18:56 AM

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  06:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kind of a neat solution to the socketlinc problem. In a way it seems wasteful to get a disposable Insteon device, although the price is not that much higher than a typical LED bulb in most areas (here we often get them subsidized, so it's maybe $10-15 extra). Pretty good considering it is actually a dual-band device according to the specs (odd that it is not labeled that way - kind of suggests this is going to be the standard).

It automatically goes into linking mode when first turned on, so no button is needed. But also you can't manually set a dim level or ramp rate, need HouseLinc or another controller for that.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  09:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LED bulbs can last for over 18 years so wouldn't be considered as disposable as and incandescent bulb. Great solution for area where installing a wall switch isn't practical or desirable. Hope they come out with a PAR30 flood light shaped version.
Go to Top of Page

carealtor

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  09:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit carealtor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I first saw this item in the email I thought it was a really great idea and solution. I still think it looks like a great idea and great addition to the Insteon line up, but it still doesn't solve the issue of local control. Wives and guests will still be fiddling with the switch on the lamp itself. I would still love to see a solution that has a pull chain. The pull chain would then hang down from under the lamp shade to turn on and off the module and everyone would instinctively know how to use it.
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  10:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carealtor

When I first saw this item in the email I thought it was a really great idea and solution. I still think it looks like a great idea and great addition to the Insteon line up, but it still doesn't solve the issue of local control. Wives and guests will still be fiddling with the switch on the lamp itself. I would still love to see a solution that has a pull chain. The pull chain would then hang down from under the lamp shade to turn on and off the module and everyone would instinctively know how to use it.

For local control you could place a Remotelinc with Tabletop mount next to the lamp and then unscrew/remove the lamp switch knob so nobody could turn the lamp off from the knob to remind them to control it from the tabletop remotelinc.
http://www.smarthome.com/2444BWH/RemoteLinc-2-Visor-Clip-and-Tabletop-Stand/p.aspx

Or if you don't want to change batteries on a RemoteLinc 2 use a Switchlinc in a powered tabletop enclosure:
http://www.smarthome.com/2402WH/Tabletop-Enclosure-for-KeypadLinc-White/p.aspx
http://www.smarthome.com/2402BK/Tabletop-Enclosure-for-KeypadLinc-Black/p.aspx

Or if you were good with wood working DIY projects I was envisioning something like a big wooden coaster with a InlineLinc in the base that matches the lamp that you would put under the lamp and would look like the base of the lamp. You could have more decorative buttons exposed that would be soldered into the contacts of the InlineLinc hidden inside. Or maybe use a Chinese Vase stand and embed an InlineLinc inside:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/140763131486?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  11:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carealtor

still doesn't solve the issue of local control.

Or you can just enable Load Sensing with a Lamplinc.
http://www.smarthome.com/2457D2/LampLinc-INSTEON-Plug-In-Lamp-Dimmer-Module-Dual-Band-2-Pin/p.aspx
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10825 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  12:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dss

http://www.smarthome.com/2457D2/LampLinc-INSTEON-Plug-In-Lamp-Dimmer-Module-Dual-Band-2-Pin/p.aspx

Then why use the Insteon bulb? The bulb eliminates the need for such a controller/responder.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  1:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think with the Insteon bulb you want to try to avoid local control. Since every time you turn it back on, it will go into linking mode for 4 seconds. There is an opportunity for weird things to happen here.

If it's a big concern, removing the lamp switch knob like dss said is probably the easiest solution.

More generally, what you want is a control mechanism that is obvious and convenient. There are tons of options, like a RemoteLinc or RemoteLinc2, or a KeypadLinc in a desktop enclosure nearby, etc. Also depends whether this is a table lamp (might be nice to have something on the table) or in a floor lamp, ceiling fixture (wall switch is perfectly natural), etc. Ultimately the solution doesn't really have anything to do with the Insteon LED Light Bulb itself.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10825 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  1:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's also ideal where no wall switch is installed or the original wall switch is a switch loop with no neutral. ILL not needed.

Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  2:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:
Originally posted by dss

Then why use the Insteon bulb? The bulb eliminates the need for such a controller/responder.

This wouldn't be with the bulb, it was an alternative to the bulb to obtain convenient local control. But the drawback with using load sensing is you couldn't turn it back on remotely. It would only be good in situations where you'd want to turn off a lamp remotely but always turn it on locally. To be able to turn it on and off locally and on/off remotely you'd need to disable the lamp switch (unscrew the switch) and control it with a remotelinc or tabletop control in combination with an Insteon bulb or Lamplinc.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did I miss where they state lumens and color temp? Those are pretty important details for an LED bulb. Also the light throw doesn't look like it would be as good as say a Philips EnduraLED or LSG Definity A19. Of course those bulbs are almost as expensive as the Insteon bulb but without any of the smarts.

I'm looking forward to some reviews.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4353 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  5:11:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the color temperature; lumens and beam pattern was not given.

Press Release doesn't say much either.
http://www.insteon.net/Press120617.html
http://www.insteon.net/bulb.html

Edited by - BLH on 06/19/2012 5:14:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Philtor
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  04:28:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know what iPhone app was used in the YouTube video?
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2012 :  12:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I clicked on the link in the e-mail as soon as I received it, and they were already out of stock.

There are no reviews on the page either. Can anyone who actually bought this thing post a review either here or on the page for the bulb?
Go to Top of Page

paduck
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  6:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone give a few good examples of a use for the LED bulb? I always come back to a question of wanting a light switch. I suppose an Insteon switch (not necessarily connected the the load) would allow that option. If you have a build that's hot all the time, this would allow you to turn it off. Still, that seems pretty limited.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10825 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  6:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In most places where an In-LineLinc would be needed, for example, a switch loop, a pull chain socket, or even a situation where several outdoor lights are on one switch. The Insteon LED Light Bulb would allow individual control with no wiring required. Even more, I imagine

Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  05:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it matters where you use it. At this price, if it works as well as competing dimmable LED bulbs, it's a bargain with an integrated Insteon responder.

This bulb also makes more sense from an energy use perspective. I assume that it uses PWM to adjust the brightness, instead of the way the competing technologies attempt to modulate the LEDs' brightness based on the 120 volt phase-cut signal.

Again, this all depends on how this bulb performs... which is why I want someone to post a review. I've signed up for the pre-order on the next batch. Hopefully that will be soon.

Edited by - barnabas1969 on 06/26/2012 05:48:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
280 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  12:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having a few of these in your house should improve the network considerably because they are dual band.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10825 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  1:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverton38

Having a few of these in your house should improve the network considerably because they are dual band.

They are? Where did you read that?

Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  1:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
From the product page for the LED bulb:

"Featuring INSTEON's patented dual-band technology, wirelessly controlling your lights has never been more accessible or economical."
Go to Top of Page

ScottAvery
Average Member

71 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  1:17:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an easy solution for closet lighting. Nice.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10825 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  1:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barnabas1969

"Featuring INSTEON's patented dual-band technology, wirelessly controlling your lights has never been more accessible or economical."

Thanks. But, it seems that the dual-band technology is as a responder only.

Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  1:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:
Originally posted by barnabas1969

Thanks. But, it seems that the dual-band technology is as a responder only.

Yep, I can't imagine how a bulb could possibly be a controller.
Go to Top of Page

jmulek
Average Member

65 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  1:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my bulb. Like it. Can't tell you much tech stuff about it, but I will say its a little too white for my taste. I like a warmer glow. Other than that, set up was simple and easy.
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  1:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
@jmulek: When you say it's too white, are you comparing it to soft-white CFL's or soft-white incandescent lamps?
Go to Top of Page

jmulek
Average Member

65 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  1:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't say I know the difference. But it is very white.
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  1:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Have you ever tried the dimmable LED bulbs from Philips? How does it compare to those?
Go to Top of Page

JanK
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  8:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loooove the concept. I don't like to execution. Sorry Insteon this is v0.0. There are two major drawbacks for me - 1) the power supply is very noisy and I can hear the whistling sound all the time - yes even when it's turned off. 2) it's so darn hot running on 100% I can't leave my hand on the heat sink - my conclusion - it will die soon... I could be wrong, but I don't give it more than 2 years. We already seen this with the ICON on/off adapter, didn't we? I had 5 of them and one after another is dying exactly after 13 months... Overheating issue...

On the positive side it's the "nice" white light - not too yellow as light bulb without hint of blue. Awesome! Now when you ship the v2 power supply I may re-consider!
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  9:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JanK

I loooove the concept. I don't like to execution. Sorry Insteon this is v0.0. There are two major drawbacks for me - 1) the power supply is very noisy and I can hear the whistling sound all the time - yes even when it's turned off. 2) it's so darn hot running on 100% I can't leave my hand on the heat sink - my conclusion - it will die soon... I could be wrong, but I don't give it more than 2 years. We already seen this with the ICON on/off adapter, didn't we? I had 5 of them and one after another is dying exactly after 13 months... Overheating issue...

On the positive side it's the "nice" white light - not too yellow as light bulb without hint of blue. Awesome! Now when you ship the v2 power supply I may re-consider!

This thing makes noise even when off?

Teken . . .
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4353 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  03:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the users providing feedback.
There will be no Insteon LED bulbs for me.
Since they don't even give you the color temperature I am not impressed.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2012 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

Thanks for all the users providing feedback.
There will be no Insteon LED bulbs for me.
Since they don't even give you the color temperature I am not impressed.

I would like to think that the powers that be will be reading this post and will make the improvements / documentation in the near future.

Smarthome has proven (slowly) to add in or improve upon their products and communications. My biggest gripe was the lack of support in the paid forum for developers etc. It seems they are slowly dropping in some information even if its scarce.

Teken . . .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page