Thermostat wiring issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ericka
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  12:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am switching from the basic thermostat that came with the unit to a programmable unit. It had a W O G R C Y configuration. The red and green wires were as labeled, but the rest were off. The white wire was in the O slot, the blue was in the C slot and a the yellow was in the yellow slot, but there was an additional piece of wire inserted into the yellow slot that was then connected into the white slot. My new one has an O/B Y R G W configuration. I installed them the same way just without the blue wire connected, but it won't work.

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  1:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Model, manufacturer, etc. What, in particular, doesn't work, display, heat, cool, etc.? If you reinstall the old thermostat, does everything work?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Ericka
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  2:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new one is a honeywell RTH2300. The old one is a Chas Roberts Totaline but it doesn't have any info beyond that on it. When I put in the new one the display worked (it's battery powered) but nothing else worked. When I reinstalled the old thermostat nothing works now including the display.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2012 :  3:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That the old thermostat no longer works suggests that the wiring was not as you remember it. Did you write down or take a picture of the old wiring, that is, which color connected to which letter terminal?

Do you have a heat pump? If so, do you have auxiliary/backup heat? Both heating and or cooling? What are the colors of the wires?

Is this the new thermostat http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-2327ES.pdf

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4358 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  03:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the wiring on the new thermostat. Caused a short on the 24 volt control transformer. It may have a line fuse that blew to protect the system.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page