75790 Camera control via Insteon app?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  08:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased a SmartLinc unit and a 75790 camera from SmartHome recently, expecting to be able to set up, view and remotely control the camera via the Insteon iPhone app. As stated on the product page for the 75790 on the SmartHome website (emphasis mine):

quote:
If you have an iOS/Android smartphone or tablet, pair SmartLinc with the free INSTEON app for even more intuitive IP camera setup and control. The INSTEON app sets up your IP camera in seconds by automatically configuring port forwarding on your router so you can access your IP camera while you are away from home anywhere in the world. The app also provides camera control from your phone: pan, tilt and even snap a still photo and have it sent to an email address.

While I've got the camera set up and viewable via the iPhone app, I can't for the life of me figure out how to control the pan/tilt of the camera, or how to capture the current image via the app. Have I missed something in the setup?

Edited by - go_robot_go on 06/11/2012 08:09:31 AM

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8254 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you add the camera address and port, the app should recognize it as a Smarthome pan/tilt unit. When you bring up the room, dim translucent arrows should appear on the edges of the image. You tap the arrow to move the camera in that direction. You should also see a couple of icons in the upper right--the envelope icon captures a snapshot and attaches it to an email, the grid switches to a grid view displaying 4 cameras a a time. (You can move between groups of 4 by swiping your finger left or right over the grid.

If the app doesn't recognize the camera, you may have to re-enter address, user name and password info.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  11:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I'm not sure I understand. Currently, I have the camera URL as (for example) http://myname.dyndns.org:12345/videostream.cgi. This gives me just the video stream, and I cannot control the pan/tilt. If I provide only the address and port (e.g., http://myname.dyndns.org:12345), the video stream I saw previously in the app is replaced with the web UI for the camera (that is to say, the login page, not the video stream with pan/tilt controls). Tapping this just takes me to the web UI in Safari. Have I got something wrong in the URL?

Also, when setting up the camera, is it recommended to set it up via the "Add URL to Room" link in the SmartLinc UI, or via the "Edit Room" screen in the Insteon app?

Edited by - go_robot_go on 06/11/2012 11:17:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8254 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  11:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No promises that this is the easiest way, but IIRC it worked:

Go into the rooms setup screen, click on add url to the room.

Delete what you have there now. Replace it with http://myname.dyndns.org:12345/video.cgi and save.

From the app, click on the Settings gears, your SmartLinc name, then Get Latest.

Wait for the app to synchronize. Tap Back,then Edit Rooms, then the room.

Tap camera, then enter the use name and password to access the camera. Done, save.

Log back into the SmartLinc and click on the room. You should see the image with white, then translucent arrows on each side, with a white envelope and grid icon in the upper right. Tap on any icon to move the camera or take a pic or view the grid.

Go to Top of Page

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  1:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No joy so far. I get the same result with the video.cgi URL as I do with videostream.cgi. Followed your instructions step for step and everything. Even tried deleting the room entirely and creating it again, same result with either URL.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8254 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  1:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you click on gears, About INSTEON app, what does it report?

Go to Top of Page

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  1:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
App Ver: 1.3.1 build 57
Device: iPhone
iOS Ver: 5.1.1
Go to Top of Page

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  1:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought of something... I did the initial setup on-site (home), but I've been tweaking the camera URL and such from off-site (work). Is there any part of this set up process that works better (or only works) if you do it while directly connected to the local network that the SmartLinc and camera are on?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8254 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  10:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In that case, I would delete the app from your iOS device and reinstall.

Go to Top of Page

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  05:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deleting and reinstalling the iOS app doesn't seem to make a difference.

However, I have noticed something. If I delete the camera from the room, and I add it via the iOS app while at home, on the same network as the SmartLinc and camera, the Insteon app searches my network and finds the camera, rather than simply asking me to supply the URL. It displays a list of cameras found (this is the only one on the network), and provides an additional option for manual input that looks like what I see if I try to add the camera via the iOS app from outside my local network.

If I select the camera that it found, I get far more data on the device. Display type, camera settings (mirror, flip, brightness & contrast, still no P&T though), and a section of Camera Details. It recognizes the camera Type as "Smarthome", but the Model remains "Unknown". Also, the Local URL and Remote URL can't be modified here. After the app updates the SmartLinc, the URL set for the room is my local IP:port and videostream.cgi (i.e., http://192.168.1.152:12345/videostream.cgi).

Should the app be detecting the camera Model here?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8254 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  05:55:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that it recognizes the camera, the camera controls should appear as a faint, see-through overlay on the camera image itself when you go into that room. If it recognizes the camera in the setup, you should be able to pan and tilt by tapping on the image where you see the arrow overlay. If not, you may want to take a screen shot of the room screen and image (tap the home and sleep buttons at the same time to save a screen image to your camera roll) and send it with an email to the 'email support' option on the first settings screen so Smarthome can help you figure it out.

Go to Top of Page

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  08:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like I'm going to have to give SmartHome support a call. Even having recognized the camera, the pan and tilt controls don't appear, nor the envelope or grid icons that you mentioned earlier.

Thanks for getting me this far, at least!
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8254 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  08:29:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why won't your 'email support' link work?

Go to Top of Page

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  08:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I emailed SmartHome support about this four days ago, and the only response I've received so far was the autoresponder that confirmed that they had received my email. At this point, I'm not terribly impressed with the speed of SmartHome's customer support. As much as I prefer support through email, if I get them on the phone, at least I know they can't ignore me and hope I go away.
Go to Top of Page

ifop
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  5:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the exact same problem as you go_robot_go. Any luck figuring it out?
Go to Top of Page

rci
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  10:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to know if there is a way I can capture the image from this camera from a PHP program. I am able to create a webpage that mosaics the 6 cameras I have, but it also exposes the url and what I want to do as well is store the image. I have successfully done this with another camera, but it offered a url that was the jpg of the image, where as this camera runs a cgi which I believe returns "more" that just the image (if I am correct it returns a page with the camera image in it).

/Jim
Go to Top of Page

shadowen
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  01:10:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem as well.

I can add the camera links to my rooms via the web interface for Smartlinc and they work, but there are no pan/tilt controls. If I click the camera image in the app, it tries to open it up in Safari.

If I add the camera from the iOS app, it scans my network and finds all my cameras. I click on one of them, then it goes to the next screen where an "Add Camera" button and a picture of the camera. I click that and it prompts me for my username/password. I enter the credentials for the camera and it keeps re-prompting over and over.

Any luck getting this to work?

Edited by - shadowen on 06/01/2013 01:11:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

porsche_kid

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  08:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
videostream.cgi does not work for me when I use Internet Explorer so I use Firefox. Try that.
Go to Top of Page

shadowen
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  08:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke with technical support regarding my issues. In order to add pan/tilt support the cameras have to connected via ethernet (not wi-fi) and they have to be added from the iOS app, not from the web interface for Smartlinc.

Because the cameras needs to be added from the app, this means that the camera will be lost if you need to download the latest configuration from Smartlinc.

So this in turn means that every time I make any changes to my Smartlinc configuration I am going to have to take every camera mounted around my home to the router to connect it via ethernet and add it via the iOS app. Huge PITA.

Long story, short. I guess I won't have pan/tilt support via the iOS app.
Go to Top of Page

go_robot_go

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2013 :  09:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, PT controls suddenly started working for me after the Insteon app was updated, so I'm thinking that my issue was strictly a bug in that specific release of the app.

For what it's worth, I since switched to the Insteon Hub, and then to an ISY-994i. Now I see why people are so gaga over this thing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page