Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jameswld
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  04:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All
I have recently purchased the Smartlinc and a Fanlinc with a new ceiling fan that only comes with one of the black rf remotes. Therefore, if I install the Fanlinc instead, I should be able to control the fan; since it is wired directly to the motor. The Smartlinc is linked to the lamp in a scene. I created a scene for the fan, but Smartlinc "sees" the Fanlinc as a lamp. I am wondering at this point if Smartlinc is supporting the Fanlinc. I have checked the wiring, it is correct. Thank you for your thoughts, support, comments....

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2222 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  05:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The FanLinc Light and FanLinc Fan are linked as separate Scenes. The FanLinc Quick Start Guide describes the linking process. For the Fan it can be linked as potentially 4 Scenes, one for Off, Low, Med, High speeds. The Fan speed is determined by the On Level setting for the Scene. The Light is linked as a separate Scene. The Light and the Fan have separate Set buttons on the FanLinc to link each separately.

Lee G

Edited by - LeeG on 05/31/2012 05:28:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

jameswld
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  09:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Lee. I have four scenes, and control as you stated. In the future I would like to group or consolidate that control. Bonus- the fan is on the opposite phase with my venstar thermostat, which immediately began working at the same time. No phase coupler to purchase!
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8270 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  09:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thermostat is an RF band device, not a dual-band, since it is powered by a low-voltage connection to your furnace. You should have two dual-band devices installed, one on each side of your utility's split-single phase power feed, to ensure that devices on each side can talk to each other consistently.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10852 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  2:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you did not have remote control of the thermostat and do now, then you did not have a dual-band device installed - and do now

That is not the same as coupling the opposite legs of the split single-phase electric supply, also called phase-coupling.

One phase, two legs!

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

jameswld
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  2:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I was hoping to "kill two birds with one stone" as they say. I expect that at some point I will add the in-wall phase coupler as Tfitzpatri8 suggests. Thank you all!!
Go to Top of Page

jameswld
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  3:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, there is one issue- I had to replace the bulb in the light kit. When I turn on the lamp, the fan shuts off. If the lamp is on, I can turn on the fan. I'm so sure the wiring is correct. ideas? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

josep
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  08:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All.

Can someone tell me what command to use to put the Fanlinc fan's hi/med/low in link mode? I was able to link them to a keypad linc by pressing on the buttons before I re-installed the fan enclosure, but now I need the smartlinc to link to the 3 modes and opening the fan is pretty ugly...

Thanks for any help.
Jose
Go to Top of Page

jameswld
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  08:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee G answered above, and this is how I linked the Smartlink. Create a scene for each speed, and follow the linking instructions verbatim for each speed/scene you create. For some reason my installation turns off the fan when I select the lamp, but I suppose I will figure it out eventually
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10852 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  08:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only HouseLinc (HL) will allow you to link the FanLinc as a SmartLinc responder w/o physical access. In fact, you can use HL to create, modify, and delete any SmartLinc scene.

Go to Top of Page

josep
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  08:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was really looking for the command. Using smartlinc I can send the fanlinc any command I want, but the problem is that I don't know what command to send it. Obviously houselinc knows the insteon command. I know I can press the buttons, but my dilemma is that the fanlinc is inside of the fan.

I'm guessing it's command 0x09 or 0x25 ?

Jose
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  11:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What I'd like to know, regarding FanLinc and SmartLinc is this...

On the SmartLinc, when I setup the four scenes (Fan HI, Fan Med, Fan Lo, and Light), if I check the box in all four scenes to "Report Status", and enter the address of the FanLinc... it causes all four scenes to report the status of the light, not the fan. Is there a way to make each scene report the correct status (Fan HI on/off, Fan Med on/off, etc)?

Edited by - barnabas1969 on 10/05/2012 11:37:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8270 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  11:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, not directly. The SmartLinc is designed to keep things simple--that's why there's no 'level' indicator on dimmable devices and why its yellow/gray on/off indication only shows the state of an Insteon device's primary output. That's why you cannot use the yellow/gray button highlighting to see the state of an IOLinc's sensor input or a KeypadLinc's secondary buttons either.

If you need to track on/off status of a secondary device, you could either use a more advanced ISY controller or a work-around--a dedicated 'status' device. You'd do the second by plugging in another adjustable level device (a LampLinc or SwitchLinc dimmer or InLineLinc dimmer) somewhere out of the way, without any load connected. Add that 'status device' dimmer to all scenes in which the fan is a responder. Then put the LampLinc's device address as the 'status device id' in the SmartLinc scene.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought you might say. Oh well, it was worth asking. It's not a big deal.

On another subject, what I'd really like is a FanLinc ON/OFF instead of a dimmer for the light. I know I could use a KPL ON/OFF to control the light instead of using the FanLinc's dimmer... but I'd like to connect a receptacle to the KPL's load output and plug a lamp into the receptacle.

Where can I tell Smart Home that I'd like them to develop this new product?
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Never mind, I found the suggest a new product link.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10852 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Using a KPL ON/OFF will not be limited to turning the light on or off. It will still exhibit the full dimming range. That's because Insteon devices act as the device they are controlling. Only the device connected to the load wire behaves as the device intended.

In summary, a dimmer controller cannot dim a relay. It can only turn it (and its load) on or off. A relay controller can dim (and brighten) a dimmer's load.

Edit: You could install an In-LineLinc relay in the ceiling box to control the light.

Edited by - stusviews on 10/05/2012 12:16:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Stu, you missed my point. I have a fan that has non-dimmable CFL's in it. I don't want to spend the money on dimmable LED's, and I don't really need dimming in the bedroom anyway. I also have non-dimmable CFL's in the lamps on the bedside tables. So, to use the currently-available products, here's what I would have to do:

1 - Put a FanLinc in the JBox over the fan, connecting ONLY the fan output.
2 - Put a KPL relay in the wall box, and connect the load output to the light on the fan.
3 - Plug a LampLinc relay into the wall outlet to control the lamps.

That's 3 devices (an extra $50.00) to accomplish my goal. If SH had a FanLinc Relay, I would be able to use only two devices (and the KPL Relay's load output could be connected to the wall receptacle instead of connecting it to the overhead light).

The alternative to buying three Insteon devices would be to buy a pair of Philips AmbientLED's to use in the fan... which would actually save me a few bucks compared to buying an additional LampLinc.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10852 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't know your point was economics. My suggestion was meant only as a way of accomplishing the task you did mention

Go to Top of Page

barnabas1969

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Send barnabas1969 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yep... I'm always looking to save a few bucks and still accomplish the goal. Now that the price of the Philips LED bulbs has come down, I think I'd go with the option to use a KPL Relay and a FanLinc (two Insteon devices) and two LED bulbs instead of spending the extra money on a LampLinc.

I've dreamed of having lighting control like this since I was a kid. We lived in a house that was built in the early 50's. It had lighting control that used low-voltage switches that connected to latching relays in the attic. From the master bedroom, you could control every light in the house. I always loved it. Then, I found a book from Lutron (or Leviton) that detailed their new lighting system. I think it was called "Path of Light". I wanted it, and now I'm getting something even better!

Wife thinks I'm nuts, but I'm having fun.

Edited by - barnabas1969 on 10/05/2012 12:39:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page