LED basics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tracknut
Average Member

60 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  09:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be putting some LED lighting in a new construction house, and don't even know the basics. Maybe someone could answer a couple questions for me...

1. What's the difference or reasoning for buying a complete LED fixture (at higher cost), versus screwing an LED bulb into a traditional incandescent fixture?

2. To get the best performance out of an Insteon system (on/off/dim), what are the key items I should have on my "must have" list as far as LED fixtures and bulbs.

Thanks
Dave

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  11:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. Design and style. There are only a limited number of LED bulbs that screw into incandescent sockets.

2. If you want on/off/dim, then the LED fixture/bulb MUST be dimmable. Not all are.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

tracknut
Average Member

60 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  3:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, thanks for the info Stu.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
2374 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2012 :  5:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dissipation of heat is arguably more critical for LEDs. Another difference with an integrated fixture/lamp is that it can be designed with this in mind, having the fixture act as heat sink and radiator. I recall seeing some LED lamps with the caution to avoid putting them into enclosed fixtures.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4358 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  03:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes heat can be a big factor.
I have a EvoluxS bulb. It actually has a miniature fan in it. Well you probably have guessed by now. Fans wear out and now it sounds like a model plane flying around.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
579 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  4:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heat dissipation is one problem inherent to the LEDs. It has direct impact on the bulb's life expectancy - it's very similar to what happened to microprocessors used in cell phpnes. To reduce the cost the wafer size was reduced which causes the micro to run at a higher temperature. Consequently, the life expectancy of these micros is around three years - fortunately they don't run continuously. The argument is that many people buy a new phone in three to five years anyway. I suspect this will happen with the LED lights. The life will be traded off against the size of the heatsink and thus cost.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

vstlighting
Starting Member

China
2 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  06:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit vstlighting's Homepage  Click to see vstlighting's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

1. Design and style. There are only a limited number of LED bulbs that screw into incandescent sockets.

2. If you want on/off/dim, then the LED fixture/bulb MUST be dimmable. Not all are.

Well, I don't really think only limited number of led bulbs that can screw into incandescent sockets. The manufacturers know that the led bulb is mainly to replace the existing incandescent lamp, in order to lower the replacement cost, the lamp cap, shape, etc. are all designed according to the incandescent lamp.

So I think no need to buy a complete led fixture, you can find the replacement led bulb easily.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

4358 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  08:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the LED Bulbs are dimmable and on a dimmer control.
Inrush and repetitive peak current must be addressed by the bulbs manufacture and the dimmers manufacturer.
Many times a LED bulb that uses 15 watts of power can have peek currents comparable to a 115 watt incandescent bulb.
So you could think I have 10 bulbs on my dimmer. That is about 150 watts. A 600 watt dimmer should be fine. Well it may not if the current spikes damage the electronics.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
579 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  1:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I addressed this in a previous posting "Calculating dimmable LED wattage". This is a big problem for power generation and distribution companies. While the average current is low, it in fact comprises a train of current pulses, often significantly higher than the average. The generators and wiring must be rated for the pulse levels, which makes the equipment more expensive than it would be needed if the average was to be sold.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10874 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2012 :  4:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vstlighting

quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Well, I don't really think only limited number of led bulbs that can screw into incandescent sockets. The manufacturers know that the led bulb is mainly to replace the existing incandescent lamp, in order to lower the replacement cost, the lamp cap, shape, etc. are all designed according to the incandescent lamp.

So I think no need to buy a complete led fixture, you can find the replacement led bulb easily.

I didn't mean that retrofit LEDs have a limited supply, only that there are a number of different LEDs that fit only in fixtures designed specifically for them, thus providing a greater range of lighting fixture designs and styles

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page