No video on new Smarthome 75790
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeS

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  7:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to set up my new Smarthome 75790 camera, and I cannot get video. I have tried changing my port and my ActiveX controls, but I don't think that's it. I can control the movement of the camera up and down, but I cannot see video.

Any suggestions?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  7:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which browser and version? Which of the login buttons are you using?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

JoeS

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  7:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never mind. I never saw a prompt where ActiveX install failed when I signed in as admin. I set up a visitor account in desperation, and for some reason, that prompted the ActiveX download again and it failed. I reset my ActiveX controls to prompt for unverified publishers instead of not allowing them at all and it then asked me to allow it. It downloaded it, and now my camera works.
Go to Top of Page

JoeS

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  8:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic shouldn't die just yet. I can get the video locally when I go to the IP address of the camera and to SmartLinc locally. I cannot see it on my smartphone, a Droid1 running Android 2.2.3 or my wife's iPhone, through SmartLinc or through the device locally.

Any suggestions?

The URL direct in SmartLinc is http://{IPaddress:port}/snapshot.cgi?user=user.

Edited by - JoeS on 05/03/2012 8:44:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

JoeS

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  8:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More info: I can get to the camera's IP address and see the pan/tilt/control panel, but no video. In SmartLinc, I get an error message about the address.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  04:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a dynamic DNS forwarding service here so I don't lose access when my ISP changes my home IP address. Safari and my SmartLinc can both navigate to http://[ddns forwarding service]:[camera port]/snapshot.cgi or video.cgi and the camera will prompt for username and password on first access.

Android's browser doesn't render the SmartLinc screen properly, so you'll want to use the free Smarthome Insteon app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smarthome.smartlinc). The current Android release doesn't display cameras, but since the iOS version does I suspect that support is coming soon. In the meantime, check out Robert Chou's IP Cam Viewer app as an alternative--it supports pan/tilt, multi-camera view, recording and more.

Go to Top of Page

JoeS

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  2:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also cannot get video from outside the home to display in Smartlinc on a PC. It says "Explorer cannot display the webpage" with a button "Diagnose Connection problem". However, I can see the Smartlinc page and see different rooms in my house. When I am in my house, I can see the video on a PC.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  3:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm unclear on what you are experiencing. When you are connected from outside your LAN, can you log into your SmartLinc?

If not, that sounds like you don't have the port forwarding set up correctly for the SmartLinc or the Smarthome camera.

If you can pull up and control devices with the SmartLinc but only can't see the webcam, that suggests you may have mistakenly used the LAN IP address instead of the external IP address for the SmartLinc camera URL.

Go to Top of Page

JoeS

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2012 :  8:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can log into my SmartLinc from outside the home, but the window for video gives me a connection error. Are you sure I should use the external IP address for the SmartLinc camera URL? I don't have a static IP from Uverse. It could change. I set the internal IP as static.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  06:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you should use the camera's external IP, otherwise any browsers not attached to your LAN will be looking in the wrong place for the camera. See the camera's Quick Start Guide section entitled "2. How to configure DDNS Service Settings (For dynamic IP user)" for setup instructions.

Go to Top of Page

JoeS

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  07:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I set it to the external IP, but that doesn't work either. I thought one of the benefits to SmartLinc was that Smarthome was effectively providing a DDNS service, so I wouldn't need a static IP address. If I need a DDNS anyway, why do I need Smartlinc? Couldn't I just log into HouseLinc remotely, if I had HouseLinc?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  07:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need to buy a static IP address, just set up a free DDNS account and port forwarding. See the camera's Quick Start Quide for step-by-step instructions.

FWIW, HouseLinc and the SmartLinc are complementary and work together. HouseLinc provides link programming and event tools and the SmartLinc provides remote access, but NOT the other way around. There's a link to the HouseLinc Owner's Manual online on the Smarthome product page if you want to see what it does.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10890 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  12:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are correct. If you set up a DDNS account, then you do not need SmartLinc nor HouseLinc to access the camera when away from home.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

JoeS

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  12:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My advice to others reading this is to choose your HTTP ports wisely. I had started with xxxx, and realized that was already assigned, so moved to xxxy. Unfortunately, I changed the firewall, SmartLinc and IP Cam Viewer, but forgot to reconfigure the camera itself with the new port. Too many settings, not enough brain cells.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10890 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  3:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
List of Ports to avoid

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page