Thermostats & HVAC Control
 T1800 can read settings but cannot change
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  8:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have the t1800 installed and running with smartlink and all is well except for the fact that i cannot change the tempature from my phone/ipad/laptop... i can see and choose the heat/cool set point, but it doesnt change at the thermostat... I can see all settings and they change when I change them at the thermostat, but I cannot change them via the phone...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

jay

stusviews

USA
10891 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  10:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. Which version SmartLinc do you have, V1 or V2? (A label on the back indicates v1.x or v2.x)
2. Are you logging is using smartlinc.smarthome.com or another method (i.e., smartlinc app)?
3. Is the thermostat in the room labelled Thermostat?
4. What is the Mode when you attempt to change setpoints?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics fun and learning.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  05:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

1. Which version SmartLinc do you have, V1 or V2? (A label on the back indicates v1.x or v2.x)
2. Are you logging is using smartlinc.smarthome.com or another method (i.e., smartlinc app)?
3. Is the thermostat in the room labelled Thermostat?
4. What is the Mode when you attempt to change setpoints?

V2 on the smartlink, loging in using both the smartlic.smarthome.com and also the smartlink app on my iphone... (with the same results) The thermostat is in the preset "thermostat" box and the mode of the thermostat is auto...

thanks for any help you may offer!
Jay
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10891 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  12:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
View the thermostat from SmartLinc and observe the current setting(s). Make some changes at the thermostat. Does SmartLinc update to the new setting automatically?

If not, does it update after selecting Refresh?

BTW, it takes a while for SmartLinc to update or make changes at the thermostat, sometimes 10-15 seconds.

Go to Top of Page

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  4:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by stusviews

View the thermostat from SmartLinc and observe the current setting(s). Make some changes at the thermostat. Does SmartLinc update to the new setting automatically?

If not, does it update after selecting Refresh?

Yes, I can make changes at the thermostat and they will appear on in smartlink on the iphone, ipad and computer after a refresh.
Go to Top of Page

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  7:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update... I have just forwarded the smartlink ip address in my router and I can even access the thermostat via the internet (3G on the iphone)

Still same problem... I can see the current settings and see changes made at the thermostat via the smartlink (lan or wan) but I cannot make any changes. I have tried changing the plugs where everything is pluged in and no avail... I have even pluged the access point into the central controler and still the same.

Do i have a bad thermostat??
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  7:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a theory, but I don't have a new enough thermostat to test it. Try this: Press and hold the Set button on the thermostat for 5 seconds until it starts to blink. Now hold the SmartLinc Set button in for 10 full seconds.

Now go to the Thermostat room and change the settings using the SmartLinc. Does it work?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  05:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does not work... the set button on the thermostat will not blink after holding it... even using the paper to see it better. I hooked it up using the number on the back of the unit.

Thanks,
Jay
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  09:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Set button isn't working? We're talking about the center, bottom button, the one that requires you to open the front cover to access? If that's the case, you need to talk to someone at Smarthome. Contact the Insteon Gold Support line for assistance--the phone number is at the bottom of the Quick Start Guide that shipped with the unit.

Go to Top of Page

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  8:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, that is the button... however, I did call the gold line and they said I have a known problem with the smartlink box software. Yea, I know, what???? The software problem prevents the thermostat from being changed via a smartlink command. it can only be viewed. (my exact problem)

So, I am supposed to wait for their programmers to fix it and let me download the patch/fix. All new purchases of the smartlink WILL have this issue. I love the technology but that is bad business... WE have used alot of time we could have both been doing other things had they just mentioned that on the front end... and thank you very much by the way.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  8:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My solution would work without any update to the SmartLinc. I am concerned that you did not resolve the inability to use the Set button on the thermostat, as that also prevents you from using several thermostat adapter features.

Go to Top of Page

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  05:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the smartlink is the only way I have to access the thermostat. It is my understanding that the link button issues is related to the software update... I will call back today to find out for sure. i really don't want to fix one issue only to find another! I planned on just using this as a starting place... do you find problems with your new equipment alot?

thanks again,
ill be back.
j.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  07:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forget about the SmartLinc for the moment, focus on the thermostat. In order to link the thermostat as controller to another device, to unlink it, or to perform a factory reset, you need it to react when you use the Set button. If that isn't happening, you should contact Smarthome and have them troubleshoot that issue with you.

Go to Top of Page

jayagee

45 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  10:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after a long conversation with the goldline folks, he is saying the thermostat is responding exactly correct. (and it is working perfectly now) This thermostat is setup using the id number on the back. He said there is no need to "link" like I do the responders and controllers... does that sound right?

I still don't have the update for the smartlink box but it worked when I got a new app on my iphone! do you have the smartlink? It is really very cool. I can do anything I can do standing at my thermostat, from anywhere, home or not.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
10891 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  10:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jayagee

after a long conversation with the goldline folks, he is saying the thermostat is responding exactly correct. (and it is working perfectly now) This thermostat is setup using the id number on the back. He said there is no need to "link" like I do the responders and controllers... does that sound right?

That's correct. Whenever I need to view/control another zone, I enter that zone's thermostat ID.

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  10:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure, you can control a thermostat using the SmartLinc without linking. However, if you want to incorporate thermostat settings into scenes (for automatic thermostat setback when you activate Away or Bedtime scenes and to restore normal settings when you get up or come home), you need to be able to link the thermostat. If you don't have HouseLinc, you need that Set button to work.

Go to Top of Page

Robert Martynec
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  10:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having the same problem. I got the device id from the cover on the thermostat. I used that id on the predefined thermostat scene and then pressed the "Save New ID" button. When I make changes to the thermostat, I can see them on the SmartLinc software. But I can not control the thermostat from the software. I'm not sure what jayagee did to fix his problem. Was it that he got a new app fro his iphone?
Go to Top of Page

eddiek
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  5:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also having the same issue, can see the setting but cannot change them..i have two of them in different areas of the house, and both are having the same problem,
Is there a FIX for this issue?
Go to Top of Page

Robert Martynec
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  5:59:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bump! I'm having the same problem. I got the device id from the cover on the thermostat. I used that id on the predefined thermostat scene and then pressed the "Save New ID" button. When I make changes to the thermostat, I can see them on the SmartLinc software. But I can not control the thermostat from the software. I'm not sure what jayagee did to fix his problem. Was it that he got a new app fro his iphone?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8301 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  6:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They've fine-tuned the Insteon protocol on devices sold since March, so if you had a SmartLinc manufactured before then and an Insteon thermostat manufactured after that you'll need to update the .bin file on your SmartLinc to incorporate the changes.

See the .bin files section at http://wiki.smarthome.com/index.php?title=2412_Manual_rev_2.0#SmartLinc_.bin_Files
Follow the directions to download and install the newest .bin file, v.2.3

Go to Top of Page

Robert Martynec
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  8:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That fixed it! Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic