Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 multiple phones = slow connection??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
treefrog Posted - 01/25/2011 : 1:08:33 PM
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I appreciate any input you have.

The Problem: Slow DSL connection when I wire more than one phone.

I have one phone line coming into the home (red,green,black, yellow). I had to splice the line to get it to reach where I have my modem and router (in the basement). I spliced it with CAT5 and ran it near the modem. Before the line got to the modem, I spliced it a again with a small “plastic, triple phone splitter butt connector”. From here, I ran one wire to a regular, module phone jack that I installed near the modem. The other wire I left to connect to multiple phone lines at a later date. I connected the main line to the phone jack near the modem and also connected another line to that phone jack (I ran this upstairs to the phone in the office). Ok, then I ran a phone plug from the installed phone jack near the modem, TO the modem itself. From here, I installed an SMC Barricade router. To this I have run two CAT5 cables, one to the office and the other to the bedroom (I plan to connect more lines soon).

Everything worked great! I was able to get the secured wireless connection working and even the hardwired office and bedroom LAN network connections to function. Awesome!

Ok, I now wanted to run the spliced phone line to multiple phones in the house. I bought an Open House H802, passive splitter and hooked the “main” spliced line into the end of the splitter and ran two more phone lines off that.

The internet connection slowed to a crawl! Frustrating. I called Open House and they were not sure why it was so. He recommended that I split the main phone line before it reached the modem, but I believe I had already done that. So, I disconnected the Open House splitter and resorted to my little “plastic, triple phone splitter butt connectors” (figuring is was something with the Open House splitter). To no avail. As soon as I hooked up the second phone, the connection slowed down.

Question: How do I connect multiple phones in the house, without compromising my DSL connection?

Thank you for your time.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stusviews Posted - 01/25/2011 : 2:14:44 PM
I have multiple phones, DSL, and full speed. I do not have any spliced wires. If the cable was not long enough, I ran a longer cable. Each terminate in either a terminal block or modular plug. I also use several splitters. But, no splices!

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page