Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Calculating Dimmable LED Wattage

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BLH Posted - 08/02/2012 : 4:10:11 PM
With the information provided by input from helpful fellow automation users and forums members.
I recently found some interesting information on dimmable LED Lighting.
When being used with dimmer switches and lamp modules.
Even if they electrically may use 10 watts of power. Have to be counted as 75 watts to even 115 watts of a a dimmers ratings.
This is due to inrush current and repetitive current peaks.
A Cree information sheet for their CR6. It says use 75 watts for the calculations.
The Lighting Science 6" Glimpse down light LED says count it as 115 watts.
White paper on inrush with dimmable LED bulbs
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/solidstate/assist/pdf/assist-TechNote-Dimming-InrushCurrent.pdf

Lutron White paper.
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/367-2035_LED_white_paper.pdf
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Geo Posted - 08/04/2012 : 05:01:31 AM
You can run into the same situation when buying a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). You have to try it, but quite often you need a UPS rated for a lot higher wattage than the computer equipment you eventually plug into it.
BLH Posted - 08/04/2012 : 03:49:10 AM
Unfortunately that information is frequently missing from the leaflet in the bulbs packaging.
It maybe in the technical data on the manufacturers web site.

I can see some user. Saying my bulb uses 10 watts. So my 600 watt dimmer can easily do a bank of 20 bulbs as it is only 200 watts.
Geo Posted - 08/03/2012 : 09:55:31 AM
That's the fact marketing and "green" guys like to keep quiet about. Both CFLs and LEDs, dimmable or non-dimmable, use an ordinary rectifier at the input. Manufacturers of plug-in "wart" DC power sdupplies have been forced to address this some time ago by including PFC (power factor correction) circuits. This is because the rectifiers have miserable power factor, often less than 50% and power generating stations had to rate their equipment for those high current pulses. CFLs and LEDs have, for probably a political reason, been excepted from this as the PFC requires fair amount of space and costs money. Those who still have the old style electrical consumption meters (with a rotating aluminum disc) can see a typical CFL drawing 17W as advertised on the box. Once they get the new "smart" meters, and they are quickly taking over on this continent, that 17W CFL will draw some 35W or more.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page