Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Outdoor Weatherproof Switch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GMD99 Posted - 04/27/2012 : 09:11:52 AM
I have a cabana in my backyard and I am considering putting a light switch, to control the lights, on the outside of the cabana. The switch will be under a roof.

Is there an Insteon weatherproof switch for this type of application?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stusviews Posted - 04/27/2012 : 1:00:55 PM
You can use any outdoor switch enclosure or cover plate that's NEC approved with any Insteon switch. Your municipalities building code may be more restrictive (e.g., NYC). Not to worry. Local stores will, most likely, have only locally approved enclosures.

Prolonged extreme heat or cold may cause premature failure, but that's true for any electronic device.
jdale Posted - 04/27/2012 : 11:57:02 AM
With regard to a weatherproof switch, if it's going to be exposed to the elements and you don't want an outdoor cover over it, I am using a ToggleLinc with one of these: http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour/covers/stainless%20steel%20covers/4515.aspx

Not sure I can recommend a vendor (had a little trouble when I got mine) but it seems to be holding up well.
GMD99 Posted - 04/27/2012 : 11:20:55 AM
In addition to my question about the availability of weatherproof Insteon switches I have a few other related questions that I would really appreciate help with. First of all here is the description of the area...

I have a cabana being built in my backyard which will have 2 cabins, separated by an open air sitting area. There is to be a roof which will cover the entire area. One cabin is for the pool equipment and the other is a change room. The doors to both cabins have 3/4 glass panels which will be frosted. In the middle open sitting area there will be a fan in the center and a number surrounding of pot lights.

In the equipment cabin I plan to have a very simple light with an on/off switch on the inside, probably not Insteon.

In the change room cabin I would like to have some way to automatically turn on the light when the door is opened and for that light to remain on while the room is occupied, but to turn off when there is no activity in the room for a specified period of time. I am considering the Wireless PIR motion & light detector however I am concerned that, with the frosted glass panels, motion outside (shadow..etc) may trigger the detector unnecessarily. I also considered a wireless Triggerlinc but I don't know how it would know when to turn off the light!

In the sitting area, I would like to have some form of outdoor switches with Insteon capabilities to control the fan and the pot lights (including dimming). Ideally I would like these switches to be outside of the cabins but under the roofed area.

I currently have a number of Insteon devices in my house controlled with an ISY99i.

Any thoughts on how to tackle these issues?

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page