Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Lighting and Appliance Control
 Buying the controler

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrBillyd Posted - 03/31/2012 : 10:05:37 PM
A newbee here.
I am getting ready to go all in >setting up my house.
I want to know the advantage or disadvantage of the ISY-99 over the Smart link Central controller? The ISY-99 is about double the price. So what does that give me?
I would like to access control over the internet or Droid or Iphone. I would like to program some scenes for different lighting arrangements.
I would also like to set up some macros, like if this photo eye trips, turn on my bed side lamp between 12am and 6am.(Ideas like this.)

I would like to basically know the pros and cons. Can I access the Phone apps with the ISY 99 without buying the Smart linK?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stusviews Posted - 04/05/2012 : 11:09:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MrBillyd

Thanks for the link, I studied the ISY users group and it seems like a very active group developing some great ideas.
Is this the most popular controller for getting into the scenes and taking the automation to the next level.

An ISY is the definitive model for taking Insteon home automation to the next level. HouseLinc plus SmartLinc (both, not one or the other) provide a more intuitive interface, but without the capabilities of an ISY. I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
quote:

How does the Mi Casa Verde VERA3 controller compare? I see that it is Z-wave compatible which the ISY doesn't support.

http://www.insteon.net/pdf/insteoncompared.pdf
quote:

Does the Vera 3 talk in native to Inseton and Z-wave?

http://forum.micasaverde.com/
Tfitzpatri8 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 10:42:51 PM
I think there's an online forum for that device, too.
MrBillyd Posted - 04/05/2012 : 10:24:32 PM
Thanks for the link, I studied the ISY users group and it seems like a very active group developing some great ideas.
Is this the most popular controller for getting into the scenes and taking the automation to the next level.
How does the Mi Casa Verde VERA3 controller compare? I see that it is Z-wave compatible which the ISY doesn't support.
Does the Vera 3 talk in native to Inseton and Z-wave?

Thanks bill
Tfitzpatri8 Posted - 03/31/2012 : 10:18:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MrBillyd
I would also like to set up some macros, like if this photo eye trips, turn on my bed side lamp between 12am and 6am.(Ideas like this.)

The SmartLinc is any easy to set up server that turns your smartphones into 250 scene remote controls. However, it does not offer any kind of conditional macro feature. The ISY does via its programs feature.

For detailed info about the ISY, see the manufacturer's dedicated forum here: http://forum.universal-devices.com

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page