Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 distance between lv and large electrical service w

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pharmboy Posted - 09/19/2011 : 9:21:50 PM
I am running telephone, quad-shield RG6, and Cat 5e cable for my new house. I'm not able to go from the structured wiring panel to the outlets without somehow passing by the HUGE service cable coming in from my meter to the electrical service panel. I've read that you should stay at least 12 inches away from regular electrical wire (14/2, etc) when running parallel and at least a couple inches when passing perpendicular. What about when passing perpendicular to the service cable? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
stusviews Posted - 09/20/2011 : 10:43:08 PM
Because of the purpose of separating the wires/cables - to minimize interference due to induction - it is beneficial only if the conduit is non-metallic. Distance is the ultimate goal.
pharmboy Posted - 09/20/2011 : 8:11:29 PM
I thought it was dependent on the voltage but it seems like the increased amount of amps going through it would have an affect. For extra precaution would I be smart in running the cables through a conduit when they pass by the service wire? Would that be unnecessary or potentially cause some other unforeseen problem? Thanks for the help! Being able to not have to completely avoid the service wire is going to make my life a lot easier.
stusviews Posted - 09/19/2011 : 10:55:00 PM
The distance depends on the voltage, not the size of the conductor. Just hanging the wires/cables is not sufficient. They must be secured to ensure the distance, the more the merrier

If outdoors, an insulated spacer is usually used.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page