Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Cable & Structured Wiring
 Posted elsewhere but no help yet...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
WillWhitley Posted - 04/04/2011 : 11:22:50 AM
OK... So here is what I have
3-rooms
2-DVD
1-X-box
1-Modem/Router
3 Flat Screens

What I want to do is create a "Media Closet" where I can hide all of the cable boxes and DVD players.

Questions I have:

1- All three boxes run off of the same remote frequency so is there any device that will allow me to use the current remotes with out changing every Channel in the house?

2- I will be running the cable for the Fios... Which wire would you recommend? I was thinking HDMI cable to make the connections but is Coax better?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
WillWhitley Posted - 04/08/2011 : 10:26:51 PM
Thanks a lot for all of your help.

Now i just need to wait for my order to be delivered and my house will be updated to at least what the Early 90's
firstone Posted - 04/07/2011 : 8:53:02 PM
You pretty much got it.

But in addition to that, if you're planning to connect multiple devices to a single TV, you would have to either run multiple HDMI cables or use some kind of HDMI switching. Or, like I said, use a matrix HDMI switch.

In addition, I'd strongly suggest using an RF remote rather than an IR distribution. While I use IR myself, I find it somewhat unresponsive. A friend of mine uses RF and it works much better and over longer distances.
WillWhitley Posted - 04/07/2011 : 2:35:08 PM
Again I want to thank you for your help but I want to review what I am thinking to make sure it is correct if you do not mind

Coax comes in the house and I use a Splitter at this point to separate to the 2 or 3 boxes and the Router

I will then run HDMI cables to all of the TVS.

At each TV I am planning on installing this IR receiver http://www.smarthome.com/8130W/Buffalo-Electronics-IR-350-Round-Micro-IR-Sensor/p.aspx

I will connect that to CAT5 cable and run the CAT5 cable to the Media room (avoiding any electrical wires)

Once in the Media room I will connect the CAT5 to the 4 zone connector
http://www.smarthome.com/8192/Xantech-4-Zone-Connecting-Block-795-20/p.aspx

The I will connect the IR Emitters to the Cable Boxes and Blu Ray for each individual zone

X-Box will be dedicated to 1 Specific Television.

I am thinking the 4 zone will give me options to increase the system in the future.

So Does it sound like I have this right or am I missing something still?
firstone Posted - 04/06/2011 : 8:31:18 PM
Ok, so the first think you need is a multi-zone IR block. Since you will only have 2 fios boxes, you're ok with 2-zone one:

http://www.smarthome.com/8192B/Xantech-2-Zone-Connecting-Block-ZC21/p.aspx

If you were to add a 3rd box, you'd need a 4-zone one I've linked to in my earlier post.

That block has a common output to control common devices,like XBox. But it also has individual outputs per zone. So, a IR receiver from TV 1 will only control IR box connected to Zone 1, etc.

Another thing you will likely need is a matrix HDMI switch. It connects multiple HDMI devices to multiple TVs. The "matrix" part allows you to view different sources on each TV. So, for instance, you can watch DVD on TV 1 and cable on TV2. If you don't get the "matrix" switch but a distribution switch, you can connect multiple devices but all TVs will always show the same service. And I suspect that's not something you want.

The only reliable brand that makes matrix switch is Octave. It's not cheap though. If you find something cheaper, make sure it's possible to give it back as HDMI switching could be tricky and it might not work with every single device.
WillWhitley Posted - 04/06/2011 : 11:04:20 AM
Sorry they will all be in the same media closet. I would actually like option 2 if it is not to complicated.

I really do appreciate your help

So it will be
1x-box 2 DVD 2FIOS all in the media closet With 3 tvs, (I will eventually add more TV's but they will all be used on the same channel for football)
firstone Posted - 04/06/2011 : 07:52:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by WillWhitley

The coax cable comes in the basement and goes about 30 feet and that is where I want to connect a splitter for the modem and 3 Fios boxes

1st Fios box will be located about 15 feet away on the same level
2nd about 10 feet away 1 level up
3rd about 30 feet away on the second level

I'm getting confused now.

Do you want to keep each fios box by TV? In that case you need to run coax and don't really need much of IR distribution.

Or do you want to keep all 3 boxes in the media closet? In that case you need to run HDMI and have IR distribution.

quote:

Xbox will either be used in basement or first floor but it will be used on one TV only for the majority of the time. I can run an Extra HDMI cable to the other locaton to switch it out if I ever want to change the TV

Are you saying you're ok with physically unplugging or replugging the cable in order to change TV? Or do you need it controlled by IR as well?

Also, you don't mention anything about your DVD players.

Basically, what you should do is to give an exact picture of how you want devices and TVs interact. Any set up is possible and what you want is not particularly complicated.

Here are a few options you can do:

1. Have XBox, 1 DVD and 1 fios box shared among all TVs. You can watch different sources on each TV but, obviously, if all watch cable, they have to watch the same channels.

2. You can have 1 XBox, 2 DVD and 2 fios boxes. This way 2 TVs can watch a different DVD or cable channel at one particular time.

Options are endless. Pick what you like, including physical device location, and I'll help you to achieve it.
WillWhitley Posted - 04/05/2011 : 8:52:09 PM
First one,

Thank you for taking the time to answer... I am not quite sure what information I should be providing...

The coax cable comes in the basement and goes about 30 feet and that is where I want to connect a splitter for the modem and 3 Fios boxes

1st Fios box will be located about 15 feet away on the same level
2nd about 10 feet away 1 level up
3rd about 30 feet away on the second level

Xbox will either be used in basement or first floor but it will be used on one TV only for the majority of the time. I can run an Extra HDMI cable to the other locaton to switch it out if I ever want to change the TV

The Fios Boxes are 2 plain and one HD DVR.

My concern is that the IR Relays will not be able to tell the difference on which remote goes to which box... Is there away for the relays to know? Should I buy 3 separate relays?
Will the Switch that you recommended also require separate relays to be purchased?
Would it be smart to purchase the switch for future changes?

I apologize I am new to this and it was a Project I was going to put off till Next year but I need to remove a wall to replace some faulty wiring so I want to go ahead and take care of it at the same time

Thank you again for your help
firstone Posted - 04/04/2011 : 8:08:32 PM
Little light on info but I'll give it a try:

If all you want to do is to hide stuff in the closet and then use a separate cable box per TV and only use XBox and DVD with one TV, then all you need is an IR distribution and an HDMI switch.

If you want to use XBox and DVD with each TV, as well, as multiple cable boxes, you'd need a multi-zone IR block, such as this:

http://www.smarthome.com/8192/Xantech-4-Zone-Connecting-Block-795-20/p.aspx

and you would also need a matrix HDMI switch.

And I'd only run HDMI out of your media closet. And, of course, you will need coax running into the closet for the cable boxes.

If you still have questions, post more details.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page