Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 INSTEON
 voice control? Really??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jmulek Posted - 03/24/2010 : 5:28:18 PM
I am a newbie, getting dangerous..... finding home automation to be a lot of fun. I am only running Insteon. About 15 devices, some motion detection for lights, and recently a Smartlinc for iPhone control.

I have been reading many of you pros talking about voice control. Really? I mean, your talking to your home and getting things to happen?

So help a dreamer out here. If one day I expand further into this addiction and want to play with the big boys - how many of you are really using voice control? Can you give some examples of what you are using voice for?

Also, is this Insteon based stuff, what kind of software, ect. I would love to hear some examples of how you use voice in your smarthome.

Thanks all, I am sure I will enjoy reading this....
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
paulvild Posted - 12/05/2012 : 09:58:29 AM
How is that app coming along?

quote:
Originally posted by johnodonovan

Just a quick update on the voice-control project: the voice control worked great, when I was at home alone. If there were a group of guests (i.e: every time I tried to demo it) the background noise became a problem and the commands would only work about 50% of the time.
Watching TV was hilarious: since my system used a continuous recognition, it was only a matter of time before House MD blurted something with a waveform similar to "computer, lights illuminate!"

There are a few ways around this: I thought about a response-based interface, where the operator has to confirm a command before it is sent, but a far better way is to go with the mobile device method. Google's voice rec. is waaay better the open-source packages I was using (sphynx), so I am writing an android app that uses the phones mic. This is great because I don't need to have a computer running all the time, or a big-brother-ish microphone listening in on things.

elvisimprsntr Posted - 11/04/2012 : 12:36:35 PM
im already using Siri to control my:

1. lights
2. security system
3. garage door
4. thermostat
5. IP cameras
6. IR AV equipment,

check my github page for more: https://github.com/elvisimprsntr
johnodonovan Posted - 05/14/2012 : 09:20:34 AM
Just a quick update on the voice-control project: the voice control worked great, when I was at home alone. If there were a group of guests (i.e: every time I tried to demo it) the background noise became a problem and the commands would only work about 50% of the time.
Watching TV was hilarious: since my system used a continuous recognition, it was only a matter of time before House MD blurted something with a waveform similar to "computer, lights illuminate!"

There are a few ways around this: I thought about a response-based interface, where the operator has to confirm a command before it is sent, but a far better way is to go with the mobile device method. Google's voice rec. is waaay better the open-source packages I was using (sphynx), so I am writing an android app that uses the phones mic. This is great because I don't need to have a computer running all the time, or a big-brother-ish microphone listening in on things.
yeganet Posted - 05/14/2012 : 02:39:38 AM
I don't like all type of automotion including voice control, because someday it become out of our control

stusviews Posted - 05/11/2012 : 10:04:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hamilton

"Please turn on off the stereo, let out the dog, and bring me a drink while you are at it." All is done with 100$ accuracy, speed of response and satisfaction.

My spouse indicated that she, too, can turn off the stereo, let out the dog (and cats), and bring me a drink accurately and speedily, at 100$ per task

Satisfaction has a different requirement
Richard Hamilton Posted - 05/11/2012 : 3:14:25 PM
Well now! I have dicovered the perfect voice interface and control for my home Insteon system, and I was amazed to discover that the accuracy is practically 100%. I have used it for many months without failure. The system is called W.I.F.E Not sure what the acronym stand for. The WIFE device understands very complex commands such as "Please turn on off the stereo, let out the dog, and bring me a drink while you are at it." All is done with 100$ accuracy, speed of response and satisfaction. The only problem I have discovered is that W.I.F.E requires purchase of the JEWERLY option and the DINING OUT option which amounts to thousands of dollars for an annual subscription. Check it out. WIFE can be acquired at your local church, bar, or country club. Various models and colors are available.

Seriously though, all of this talk about having mics in every room and similar input gadgets is not the correct thinking. That's a Rube Goldberg expensive approach. It would be much easier, cheaper, and more reliable to use a mobile app because the mics work very well, software recognition is getting far better, etc. This seems like a feature that SmartLinc or one of those mobile Insteon software vendors should be thinking about creating as an interface to their software. As an engineer, I can tell you it isn't all that difficult to do... at least not for the iPhone. I've been thinking about it.
dcmfx Posted - 05/07/2011 : 10:57:01 AM
In the long run, voice control would be a real pain to implement in a house wide situation. You need good microphones in every room with good coverage corner to corner, with feedback speakers in every room, and a nice mixing system to make it all work. Otherwise you have to stand in a certain position or room to make it work. You need to be able to say an initialization command, have the automation respond with "ready" or something, then submit your command. Otherwise, any normal speech, by your or your tv, may trigger unwanted things. Even with a really fancy movie style AI, you need this setup. Think Star Trek or Iron Man or something like that. They start by addressing the AI by name or clicking on their shirt badge. The AI says yes so you know it is ready and listening, then they say what they want it to do. Much easier to have your automation do things on it's own or by button hits from some remote, wall buttons, ipad, etc. Voice control is not practical as of yet... My automation does 95% of its stuff all by itself, which is the true sense of automation. Otherwise, I hit a remote button or wall Keypadlinc button to trigger it do things. Hit one button, it turns on the cable box, turns on the amp, turns on the projector, turns off lights, closes the skylights if bright outside, closes the skylight blinds if bright outside, turns off the jukebox music speaker in that room, etc.... Turn off the cable box, it senses that and reverses all the things it did when it turned it on. Minimal interaction needed is the true sense of automation!
Tfitzpatri8 Posted - 05/06/2011 : 2:07:56 PM
Welcome! Be sure to also check in over on the HAL support forum: http://www.automatedliving.com/forums

The current HAL release (4.0.65, IIRC) relies on the older Insteon PLC computer interface. That unit uses the slower, standard-length messages for all its linking, so the process can be tedious. HAL version 5 is currently going through beta testing and uses the modern PLMs and much more Insteon hardware. If you can talk your way into being a beta tester, you may be able to avoid the outdated interface entirely.
jon@macgeek.com Posted - 05/06/2011 : 1:53:46 PM
Hello all, New person here, but a LONG Time HA'er (since late 80's)Can anyone remember BSR?
I also use a HAL 2000 and using higher end PZM mic's and a pro audio mixer in several rooms I have very decent results. I stopped using it a few years ago, and am moving to Las Vegas (from NYC) and am setting up a new / old system / HA in Las Vegas - updating to INSTEON and upgrading my Software. So I am sure you will be seeing a lot more of me on here

Jonathan
johnodonovan Posted - 04/27/2011 : 5:27:50 PM
I'm currently working on my own one of these. ( I know a small bit about Java programming-- and you would probably need some programming skills to try this.) I using an open source speech recognition kit called "Sphynx" h-tee-tee-p://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/wiki/tutorial to recognize a couple of simple commands. (eg: "Computer, Dim Lights"). The speech rec libraries will be controlled via a Java app running on my home media server (in my case Win 7 on an old sony vaio laptop). The laptop's built in microphone seems to pick up commands ok. Next step is to translate these into Insteon commands. In my case i have the smarthome box connected to my router, so i (think i) can send them over wireless. Alternatively you could go through a serial/COM port on your computer using something like Smarthome's PowerLink Modem. I will try to provide an update here when i make more progress with the project.
Tfitzpatri8 Posted - 03/26/2010 : 2:34:15 PM
To expand on what Tom said, HAL Pro, 2000 and Deluxe versions all support Insteon. I use the HAL modem, cordless phones and cell phones to check in on the house status and to turn on/off/brighten/dim scenes from anywhere, on or off the property. Some people use open-air microphones, but adapting to different room acoustics, ambient noise, microphone amplification and mixers to enable VR in multiple rooms all reduce reliability and take more time and money than most are willing to part with. HAL can also respond to voice commands by reading weather forecasts, news, email, sports and stock reports, and it can use voice recognition to read caller ID information or to pick a name out of the phone directory and auto-dial. (I've had HAL read the weather forecast for me as I'm waking up so I can plan appropriately, and I'll occasionally have it dial a number for me; I find most of the other info easier to read.)

As Kevin indicated, setting up voice recognition can be a bit of a challenge, especially if you have an accent. Some speech recognition engines require each user 'train' the software so it can get used to differences in speech patterns, but not HAL. HAL does remarkably well with no training, though if you have an accent you may need to set up a macro using phonetic spelling so it can discern your intentions.
xlurkr Posted - 03/25/2010 : 08:46:32 AM
Have a look at HAL. It works pretty well, and you can try it free. You can talk to it over computer mic if the room is quiet, or over the phone if you have their modem.

For Insteon control you'll need a PLC. They're promising PLM support real soon now. Without either, you can still see how well it recognizes your voice. You can ask it the time, or stock or sports scores etc.

-Tom
skydvrz Posted - 03/24/2010 : 9:58:19 PM
First of all, I admit I have no direct Insteon voice control experience.

There may be good voice recognition software out there, but I have yet to find it. I have been struggling with it for about 10 years and I have yet to run across any software that works reliably with my voice. Perhaps I mumble or my Southern Californian accent fails to impress the ones and zeros that make up speech recognition systems.

I own two relatively expensive voice-activated, aftermarket GPS car nav systems. The one in my car works marginally OK - I'd guess it works about 75-80%. The one in my wife's car hates me and has about a 20% reliability factor. Its easier to press buttons than to try to verbally reason with the d*** thing. When she talks to it, it works about 75-80% of the time (she is a Brit, with the standard-issue accent).

When I say "Pizza parlor", the car GPS replies "Psychiatric ward... Would you like to stop by?". Me: "NO!" GPS: "Zoom to street level"; Me: "Aargh!"; Wife leans over into microphone pickup zone, says once in a sweet English accent: "Pizza parlor". GPS: "Setting pizza parlor as destination". Me: Rolling eyes and wondering why I paid so much for this overpriced piece of junk. :-)

I've dabbled with voice type dictation on various operating systems - It always ends up being easier to manually type stuff than try to dictate to a stubbornly stupid voice-to-text engine.

Your mileage may vary, but you may find that buttons or other manual input means work more reliably than trying to talk to VR software in English when it probably understands Swahili spoken with a Belgian accent better.

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page