Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Shop All INSTEON Products

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 INSTEON
 Insteon LED Light Bulb

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BLH Posted - 06/19/2012 : 06:18:25 AM
Got an email from Smarthome.
New Insteon enabled LED Light Bulb.
http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/INSTEON-LED-Bulb/p.aspx
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
vtmaestro Posted - 10/05/2012 : 9:28:04 PM
I had the same problem in that somehow I ended up linking the Insteon LED bulb in the off position so it would never turn on. The problem is associated with how the bulb was linked into the off position in a scene in your Smartlinc. Here's the fix:

1. Use a Keypadlinc and set one of the buttons for linking (i.e "A")

2. Unscrew your bulb and re-screw it in and allow the bulb to link to the Keypadlinc (i.e. "A").

3. QUICKLY Double Click on the Keypadlinc (i.e. "A" or whatever button you use to link to the LED Bulb) so that the Insteon LED bulb will be turned on.

4. Now that the bulb is on, go to the original Smartlinc scene where the LED bulb is linked. Go ahead and remove the LED bulb from the scene by clicking "remove." (within the scene itself). Unscrew the bulb and re-screw it back in to complete the removal from the scene. Save the scene and exit back to your room page.

5. Your LED bulb should now be in the default "on" position. Go ahead and relink the bulb to the Smartlinc scene.

6. Unlink the bulb from the Keypadlinc (i.e. "A") and relink to the Keypadlinc or any other Insteon device through the normal linking mode.

Hope that helps!

Guli Posted - 09/24/2012 : 08:10:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

If it seems like you have communication with the device, but you can't turn it on, it's possible you linked it while it was already off. In that case, whenever you try to remotely turn it on, it will revert to that state -- and remain off. A test for this is to use the dim/brighten functions to brighten it. If that works, this is probably what happened.

If so, just make sure it is on, and then relink it. You don't need to unlink it first.

Thanks for your inputs. I'm able to unlink and relink, to as you said, jdale, it's always returning to Off status. I tried to play with brightness, but it doesn't seem to affect it. It always remain in off state. Is there any other way to turn it back on?

Thanks a lot!
BLH Posted - 09/24/2012 : 03:25:08 AM
Since the Insteon LED bulb is specified as a 3000K color temperature and the Phillips is 2700K like most CFLs are. I am not surprised you saw a difference.
Also not surprised that the beam pattern was upward to the ceiling when in a table lamp. I have a few other brands that are the same way.
I do like the Philips EnduraLED bulbs myself and just tried a Sylvania that was also very acceptable.
barnabas1969 Posted - 09/23/2012 : 6:45:13 PM
Okie dokie... I bought a pair of Insteon LED bulbs, they shipped on 8/8/2012. I finally got around to trying them tonight. Here are my impressions...

I compared several different "bulbs" in two identical table lamps with identical shades. Here are my observations:

The Philips EnduraLED is slightly yellower/dimmer than one of my 60-watt-replacement CFL's. But very close. Of course, the CFL is not dimmable, and I've never found a dimmable CFL that works well without flickering.

The Philips EnduraLED is slightly yellower than a 60-watt GE incandescent fan bulb, but about the same brightness. They are very, very close in color. I doubt that you would notice the difference unless you compared them side by side.

The Smarthome LED bulb is MUCH whiter than the 60-watt GE incandescent fan bulb (and the CFL). It has a similar brightness to the incandescent bulb, but the beam pattern is MUCH more focused upward, toward the ceiling when the bulb is screwed into a table lamp.

Remember how much everyone hated the old CFL's and the old fluorescent "circ-lite"? Well... these new, expensive LED bulbs from Smarthome have the same type of light as what those old, hated lights put out.

I'm going to request a refund. I hope it hasn't been too long (more than a month) since they shipped them. I really didn't think I would dislike them so much... but I like the Philips bulb much, much better... and I would prefer to use an Insteon dimmer with my lamps and two Philips bulbs, instead of the new Insteon LED.

Oh... I didn't hear any sound coming from my Insteon bulbs... but the color temperature and beam pattern are terrible.
jdale Posted - 09/08/2012 : 09:35:21 AM
If it seems like you have communication with the device, but you can't turn it on, it's possible you linked it while it was already off. In that case, whenever you try to remotely turn it on, it will revert to that state -- and remain off. A test for this is to use the dim/brighten functions to brighten it. If that works, this is probably what happened.

If so, just make sure it is on, and then relink it. You don't need to unlink it first.
stusviews Posted - 09/07/2012 : 3:14:53 PM
To unlink the Insteon bulb from SmartLinc:

1. Make sure the lamp socket is on by screwing in another bulb (and turning the lamp on if needed). Leave it on.
2. Remove the test bulb.
3. Click on the scene and select Remove. The Add/Remove Status should indicate Waiting.....
(not by "clicking on the SmartLinc button twice")

Within 4 minutes, screw the Insteon bulb into the lamp socket.

Wait at least 4 minutes more, then:

Unscrew the Insteon bulb. Click on the scene and select Add. Screw in the Insteon bulb within 4 minutes.
Guli Posted - 09/07/2012 : 2:43:07 PM
:/

I got my new Bulb today. I managed to detect it with my Smartlinc and play with it for a while. Somehow I decided to remove it from my scene in Smartlinc and try to detect it from another outlet (I'm using it in a lamp) which is a little bit farther. I was able to detect it, but now I'm not able to turn it on anymore. I tried to unlink it properly (by clicking on the Smartlink button twice) a few times after that, but when I relink, it's still detected but I can't turn it on.

I don't think it's dead already, because I can detect it, but how can I turn it on again?

Thanks for any advices

:/
stusviews Posted - 08/31/2012 : 3:24:32 PM
Software such as HouseLinc can be used to link at a particular On-level (and/or ramp rate). HouseLinc can also be used to create, modify, and/or delete all SmartLinc links so you don't need to run around the house pushing buttons
jzsjr Posted - 08/31/2012 : 3:12:06 PM
Is there a way to control the initial brightness on the led bulb? I use this in a child's room using smartlinc and would prefer it turning on at a dim level.
thanks,
Jim
EVIL Teken Posted - 08/23/2012 : 3:29:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by absolootbs

i noticed that smarthome has now gone as far as to acknowledge the buzzing on the product page for these ("Important Note
When in use, INSTEON LED Bulb emits a subtle buzzing noise that is barely noticeable. However, when several bulbs are installed in a single location, the buzzing may become more apparent"). now that they've been out for a while and apparently plenty of people have bought them (they're currently on backorder), i wondered if anyone else could comment on the severity of the buzzing, or lack thereof. since the powerline only lamplinc is no longer available, and the dual band costs $20 more than these, i'm considering going the bulblinc route for the end table lamps in my living room. if you're sitting on the couch, you're between the two lamps, and if you're on the loveseat, you're next to one of them. so, decently close proximity either way. most of the time there is a tv on in the room at a moderate volume, but not always (SO likes to shut it off and read when i'm not around). given those circumstances, can anyone give an opinion on whether or not they think the buzzing will be noticeable and/or a problem? if yes... all the time, or only when the room is silent?

In the exact same boat as you! If the SO hears any buzzing besides me farting, she won't be happy.

Teken . . .
absolootbs Posted - 08/23/2012 : 08:28:14 AM
i noticed that smarthome has now gone as far as to acknowledge the buzzing on the product page for these ("Important Note
When in use, INSTEON LED Bulb emits a subtle buzzing noise that is barely noticeable. However, when several bulbs are installed in a single location, the buzzing may become more apparent"). now that they've been out for a while and apparently plenty of people have bought them (they're currently on backorder), i wondered if anyone else could comment on the severity of the buzzing, or lack thereof. since the powerline only lamplinc is no longer available, and the dual band costs $20 more than these, i'm considering going the bulblinc route for the end table lamps in my living room. if you're sitting on the couch, you're between the two lamps, and if you're on the loveseat, you're next to one of them. so, decently close proximity either way. most of the time there is a tv on in the room at a moderate volume, but not always (SO likes to shut it off and read when i'm not around). given those circumstances, can anyone give an opinion on whether or not they think the buzzing will be noticeable and/or a problem? if yes... all the time, or only when the room is silent?
BLH Posted - 07/07/2012 : 03:02:30 AM
Device Category and Subcategory was a nice addition to the chart.
jdale Posted - 07/06/2012 : 5:28:50 PM
The more information on the sales page, the better. I appreciate that they put the device category and subcategory up there. Some items they do, some they don't. Much prefer to get an official answer than have to glean through forums for the magic numbers....
stusviews Posted - 07/06/2012 : 5:11:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BLH

The FCC Database files for the BulbLinc. Page 18 of the test report 93071-7. Has an RF Transmitter Output List.
I suspect it can resend Insteon RF commands.

If so, it should be quite efficient, particularly in a ceiling fixture.
ELA Posted - 07/06/2012 : 5:03:25 PM
The sales page information seems to change almost every day!
At the very beginning I thought maybe it was a RF only device but ever since they had posted " INSTEON RF mesh repeater" that meant to me that it retransmits via RF. Since it is not a controller then no need to initiate RF of course.

The only reason I was interested in this bulblinc at all was to hear of its power line transmit level. Makes me wonder if that is simply an over-site or intentional?

Had considered buying one just to measure it but from what I have seen thus far I remain unimpressed.
BLH Posted - 07/06/2012 : 4:05:26 PM
The FCC Database files for the BulbLinc. Page 18 of the test report 93071-7. Has an RF Transmitter Output List.
I suspect it can resend Insteon RF commands.
stusviews Posted - 07/06/2012 : 3:45:34 PM
I believe dual-band, in this case means that it can be controlled by an RF device as well as powerline. That is, it's a dual-band responder only.
BLH Posted - 07/06/2012 : 3:08:50 PM
A search for BulbLinc should also find it.
I think sales was changing things on the main page. A few days back it was shown in the slide show. Then was not in the slide show. Now back in the slide show and also on the bottom of the Insteon Compatibility Tab in its own section. Called cleverly Bulbs.

I don't believe it says Dual Band but does list RF and Power Line Mesh capable.

There is a listing. Phase bridge detect beacon NO. Since it has no set button or status LED. Probably means it can't do a communications test like other Dual Band devices can.
EVIL Teken Posted - 07/06/2012 : 2:46:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

I still see it, it is one of the slideshow of featured products on the main Smarthome page. Are you searching for the wrong product name?

The original product announcement I received said dual-band.

It was listed in the Insteon page of products. Now that light bulb listing is missing? If you use the search or the Ad you mentioned it does bring you to the sales page for the device.

The dual band thing, I must have been still thinking about the spec's ELA was speaking of because I thought it was just listed 30 minutes ago. Then, when I went back that spec was removed. It had some strange fonts used to list it though?

Teken . . .
Tfitzpatri8 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 2:37:27 PM
I still see it, it is one of the slideshow of featured products on the main Smarthome page. Are you searching for the wrong product name?

The original product announcement I received said dual-band.
EVIL Teken Posted - 07/06/2012 : 2:30:02 PM
There must be a problem. The SmartBulb has been moved from the SmartHome sales page?? Also, wasn't this device a RF device only?? Now it says its dual band??

Teken . . .
barnabas1969 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 07:41:01 AM
I have two of the Philips LED bulbs in my ceiling fan (controlled with a FanLinc). I'm mostly satisfied with them. The only thing I don't like is that they don't dim all the way to off... they abruptly turn off at some brightness level before 0%, but I haven't used HouseLinc yet to test what the actual minimum brightness is before they cut off.

It's not a huge problem, but a little odd. Otherwise, I really like the Philips bulbs... well, except for the price of course.
BLH Posted - 07/06/2012 : 06:59:01 AM
Actually the present Developers Kit with hardware is $249 or $199 access to documentation and forums only.

I agree that the beam angle of the light would definitely effect the Lux readings.
I have a Philips EnduraLED bulb that works well in my table lamps. Has a light pattern closer to a incandescent bulb. While I have an EcoSmart that is mostly directly vertical from the base. Good for down lighting but in a table lamp the ceiling gets most of the light.
barnabas1969 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 06:44:29 AM
Oh, well I don't think I'm going to spend $200 for that.

@BLH: If the developer's notes say that the Lux is slightly higher than an incandescent bulb, I would suspect this is due to the beam pattern of the LED bulb. Lux is a measure of brightness per square meter. If the LED bulb's beam is focused on a surface, compared to the incandescent bulb's nearly spherical beam pattern, that would explain why the LED would measure brighter in Lux. This is why it is important to know the beam pattern, and the brightness in lumens.
LeeG Posted - 07/06/2012 : 06:40:28 AM
Purchase the Developer Subscription for $200. It provides access to otherwise confidential information. It requires a NDA so information exchange on the user to user forum will be restricted.
barnabas1969 Posted - 07/06/2012 : 06:29:43 AM
Where can I find the developers notes?
BLH Posted - 07/06/2012 : 04:31:52 AM
Brightness comparisons may depend on the 60 watt bulb chosen.
I have seen different manufacturers bulbs with the same wattage rating have different Lumens ratings.

Also if they are comparing the 60 watt bulb to how it acts when controlled by a LampLinc. The 100% brightness maybe closer. As even at 100% there is a 10 volt {mine anyway} drop from input to output.

Developers Notes do have a comparison chart of how a BulbLinc and LampLinc with 60 watt incandescent bulb, brightness levels are at different dim levels.
In Lux the BulbLinc is slightly higher at 100% and the changes are more linear than a incandescent bulb. Probably from the effects of the filaments characteristics.
barnabas1969 Posted - 07/05/2012 : 4:00:09 PM
I'm wondering more and more if I should cancel my pre-order. From the specs, it doesn't seem like it will be as bright as a 60 watt incandescent... some folks have noise, and others have pieces falling off. Sounds like a Yugo GV to me.
BLH Posted - 07/05/2012 : 3:12:49 PM
I will make it a trio.
Just return it as even if it did work. It could be a safety thing.
I am also sure Smartlabs/Smarthome will want to evaluate why the contact button was loose and fell out.
EVIL Teken Posted - 07/05/2012 : 2:34:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

You shouldn't have to fix a defective bulb, even if you could get it to work. And if a part fell off, it's certainly defective. Get a replacement under warranty.

I second that sentiment. SmartHome will take care of you.

Teken . . .

Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page